The Student Room Group

Does not having GCSE's In Maths and English affect people for life?

I am going uni this year, to do Computing and just want to know does not having GCSE's in Math and English affect me in the long run?
It will affect your chances of getting into a good university, but once you're in university and finished your degree, it's highly unlikely employers will ask for your maths and english GCSE's; they'll just look at your degree and that'll basically prove your english and maths is beyond that of GCSE level. So not it will not affect you in the 'long run' if by that you mean after University :smile:
Depending on the course you are applying for, you are required to have one of the two or both. Am quite sure that computer science requires you to have Maths at GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by Vibenation
I am going uni this year, to do Computing and just want to know does not having GCSE's in Math and English affect me in the long run?

Broadly speaking, it's your higher-level qualifications that count, so if you've achieved a degree then that will outweigh school qualifications. However, you haven't given the reason for your lack of GCSEs in these subjects. If you could have passed them but just "mucked around" then you can still demonstrate the literacy and numeracy skills demanded by most employers. If you didn't pass because you have basic weaknesses in the subjects then you could struggle in the future - both with the degree work itself and in employment! Be aware that if you're competing with a lot of graduates for a job it is not uncommon for employers to filter out applicants with verbal and numerical reasoning tests which could trip you up if you're not confident with the subjects you've quoted.

Original post by IntenseSoldier
employers will ... just look at your degree and that'll basically prove your english and maths is beyond that of GCSE level. So not it will not affect you in the 'long run' if by that you mean after University :smile:

I know what you're trying to say, BUT it really doesn't "prove" any such thing - there are an unfortunate number of students who make it onto degree courses now with serious weaknesses in Maths and English...and they end up leaving Uni with exactly the same weaknesses! If their degree / specialty is in a shortage area then the degree-level skill may give them an advantage in the jobs market, but otherwise they'll be competing with other graduates who do have complementary skills, and employers will look for reasons to filter out candidates who don't meet their criteria.

OP: you need to say a bit more about your background (if you're willing to). It's unusual for people without Maths to be accepted onto a lot of Computing courses because of the mathematical background assumed in the course.
Reply 4
Original post by davros
Broadly speaking, it's your higher-level qualifications that count, so if you've achieved a degree then that will outweigh school qualifications. However, you haven't given the reason for your lack of GCSEs in these subjects. If you could have passed them but just "mucked around" then you can still demonstrate the literacy and numeracy skills demanded by most employers. If you didn't pass because you have basic weaknesses in the subjects then you could struggle in the future - both with the degree work itself and in employment! Be aware that if you're competing with a lot of graduates for a job it is not uncommon for employers to filter out applicants with verbal and numerical reasoning tests which could trip you up if you're not confident with the subjects you've quoted.

I know what you're trying to say, BUT it really doesn't "prove" any such thing - there are an unfortunate number of students who make it onto degree courses now with serious weaknesses in Maths and English...and they end up leaving Uni with exactly the same weaknesses! If their degree / specialty is in a shortage area then the degree-level skill may give them an advantage in the jobs market, but otherwise they'll be competing with other graduates who do have complementary skills, and employers will look for reasons to filter out candidates who don't meet their criteria.

OP: you need to say a bit more about your background (if you're willing to). It's unusual for people without Maths to be accepted onto a lot of Computing courses because of the mathematical background assumed in the course.

Ok, I am known to have Dyslexia, speech and learning difficulties. It affects my ability to do GCSE Maths and English. I am usually few marks away and end up getting a D. I retook Maths and English twice already.

I told the uni I about my difficulties in maths and they agreed to support with maths. I have done Business in college and was able to handle all the accounting stuff that was involved so my basic maths skills are good.
Reply 5
Original post by Vibenation
Ok, I am known to have Dyslexia, speech and learning difficulties. It affects my ability to do GCSE Maths and English. I am usually few marks away and end up getting a D. I retook Maths and English twice already.

I told the uni I about my difficulties in maths and they agreed to support with maths. I have done Business in college and was able to handle all the accounting stuff that was involved so my basic maths skills are good.

Thanks for the background :smile:

In that case I'm assuming that your Computing degree isn't too maths-intensive as a lot of those degrees ask for Maths A level, never mind GCSE!

Once you have completed your degree, there is nothing to stop you revisiting Maths and English at GCSE e.g. via a Further Education college should you wish to do so.
Reply 6
OP, i had bad grades at Maths and Eng GCSE, but i then went on to do my HNC, then HND and topped it up with a Bsc Hons.

Now doing my Masters, so you can do it!
Reply 7
Original post by dand666
OP, i had bad grades at Maths and Eng GCSE, but i then went on to do my HNC, then HND and topped it up with a Bsc Hons.

Now doing my Masters, so you can do it!

Thanks, this is encourging

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending