The Student Room Group

Accommodation with a non-student

Hi,

Does anyone know information about living with a non student. And how will it affect my student finance? My fiancé and me want to move in together now instead of doing after we're married. However he works full time and I'm a full time student and work part time so money is short.

I know that he would get a discounted council text and that there's discount or free water (not 100% on the free water). Any new information would good, also would anything effect/penalise him??
Nothing should penalise him at all. Anyone can apply for student finance, and you will receive the loan under any circumstances. Or are you talking about the grant as well?

Yes, because you are exempt from council tax he will get a discounted tax (25% off I believe), because he will be classed as a solo occupant. I've never heard of free water before?!

EDIT: just did some more research from this site: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-evidence-from-parents-partners

If you are under 25, and you are applying for the grant, you will be assessed on your parent's income. Unless you can prove you have supported yourself for the last 5 years. If you are over 25, and living with a partner, you will be assessed on his income.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I already have student finance as I'm in my second year of the degree but isn't it means tested so it would go on his income and he'd be classed as eligible for me. It's currently done with my mothers income. I'm talking about the whole thing really.

Yea, i think it is as well. I had never heard of free water before until a friend who lives with her brother told me. But I'm not very confident in that.

OH THANK YOU!!! Helped me out a lot!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kindlans
I already have student finance as I'm in my second year of the degree but isn't it means tested so it would go on his income and he'd be classed as eligible for me. It's currently done with my mothers income. I'm talking about the whole thing really.

Yea, i think it is as well. I had never heard of free water before until a friend who lives with her brother told me. But I'm not very confident in that.

OH THANK YOU!!! Helped me out a lot!

Are you over 25 though? Because from what I understand it will count your parents income until then, for reasons unknown...

Hmm. Free water might be a benefit type thing? As opposed to a single occupant? As Thames Water (for example because I live in London) is a private firm, I can't imagine them giving away water unless it's subsidised by the government for valid reasons.
Reply 4
Original post by Mother_Russia

If you are under 25, and you are applying for the grant, you will be assessed on your parent's income. Unless you can prove you have supported yourself for the last 5 years. If you are over 25, and living with a partner, you will be assessed on his income.

It's 3 years not 5.
Reply 5
Original post by Kindlans
Hi,

Does anyone know information about living with a non student. And how will it affect my student finance? My fiancé and me want to move in together now instead of doing after we're married. However he works full time and I'm a full time student and work part time so money is short.

I know that he would get a discounted council text and that there's discount or free water (not 100% on the free water). Any new information would good, also would anything effect/penalise him??

Yes there is a 25% discount on council tax as he is the only non student. Definitley no discount on water though, all other bills have to be paid at the full rate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending