The Student Room Group

Addicted to Revision! Bit of a weird thread!

Scroll to see replies

Gosh, you're just like one of my friends. She's a study junkie and feels guilty when she stops revising too, lol.
Honestly speaking, how did you get so motivated? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMG I'm EXACTLY the same, I work every day for however long I can, I hate sleeping because I'm missing out on time to revise and I've had to stop myself using all my free periods in college to revise. I've pretty much forgotten how to have fun and can't just do nothing without feeling insanely guilty and panicking about revising. I guess revision for us just feels like we're doing something productive, something that will improve our future and we like the feeling of being all organised and prepared, I feel that's the case with me anyway.

I've just finished my winter exams and have already started revision for the summer ones. I guess that's just who I am. I am glad though. :smile: but wow, the way you've said this, makes me feel like I'm the one saying it because it sounds exactly like me! I better get back to revision...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Don't waste your childhood. Will regret it when older
I wish I was then I wouldn't be stressing about not getting the grades for uni
Reply 24
I don't understand, you're revising for your GCSE's right? Why so much revision for your GCSE's? You'd get away with doing no/little revision until just before the Easter holidays, you should calm yourself down and take a break from it all! Wait until you get to A levels, then you'll realise how easy GCSE's were... :wink:
I am insanely jealous, I wish I were addicted to revision!
Don't worry, just make sure you get a good work-play balance and make sure you don't forget how to live a little! I've a friend who just revises constantly and he's always miserable these days because he feels like he should be revising all the time, but you know, education isn't all academic and stuff so make sure you actually EXPERIENCE things!
Reply 26
Original post by FloydRix
Don't waste your childhood. Will regret it when older
How so? If OP revises and doesn't get tied down socially, he should be fine in finding a well paid job and a great education, childhood doesn't always have to be going out with ur mates all the time. Though I agree that revision shouldn't be from October for GCSEs, but 1hour a day since November should cut it, whilst alevels start immediately
Reply 27
There are far worse things to be addicted to...
Reply 28
I am too. On Thursday I got my results back from the Jan Science exams to discover I got 2 A*s and yet I am already revising for June. I didn't revise at all on Thursday for a celebration but then cried because I felt so guilty. I know that I will feel guilty after spending my time writing this post. I find it difficult to prioritise which exams to revise for and how long for, and haven't made a revision timetable yet because I don't have the exam dates. I constantly feel stressed for my GCSEs and my friends don't understand because they never revise and keep getting D's in their exams. They tell me to relax but I can't.
I feel like I can't talk to my friends about this because they don't ever revise or get the same grades as I do. I know I am likely to do well but can't stop working. I don't even think the revision I do is even productive. I get easily distracted and am a slow worker. I really need help on how to do my work well and I get upset at the end of the day if I haven't done enough. I was so happy to find this post as I thought I was the only one. Even the nerdiest person in my class hasn't started to revise.
At the moment, I'm listening to a video on myGCSEscience.com. I can't stop. My mum wants me to stop but I can't; the guilt consumes me!!! Help!!!

P.S: don't wish for this obsession; wish to be naturally clever.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by legache
I am too. On Thursday I got my results back from the Jan Science exams to discover I got 2 A*s and yet I am already revising for June. I didn't revise at all on Thursday for a celebration but then cried because I felt so guilty. I know that I will feel guilty after spending my time writing this post. I find it difficult to prioritise which exams to revise for and how long for, and haven't made a revision timetable yet because I don't have the exam dates. I constantly feel stressed for my GCSEs and my friends don't understand because they never revise and keep getting D's in their exams. They tell me to relax but I can't.
I feel like I can't talk to my friends about this because they don't ever revise or get the same grades as I do. I know I am likely to do well but can't stop working. I don't even think the revision I do is even productive. I get easily distracted and am a slow worker. I really need help on how to do my work well and I get upset at the end of the day if I haven't done enough. I was so happy to find this post as I thought I was the only one. Even the nerdiest person in my class hasn't started to revise.
At the moment, I'm listening to a video on myGCSEscience.com. I can't stop. My mum wants me to stop but I can't; the guilt consumes me!!! Help!!!

P.S: don't wish for this obsession; wish to be naturally clever.

GCSEs are easy
Reply 30
If this is for gcses I do not agree. I was the laziest kid back in those days, just did revision in the couple of weeks leading up them and got all As, now however, doing A2 I have the same addiction. I schedule 1 or 2 days completely free of revision per week at the moment so I don't drive myself mad, however I always find my self flicking through the text books, or lying in bed, instead of relaxing or watching tv, I end up reading all the revision posters on my walls

Revision addiction is a pretty good thing on the whole, but just don't overdo it. I did this in my last lot of modules. I started early, did loads of revision and got complacent. I thought I knew it all, and because I'd done everything a thousand times I had nothing to do revision wise in the weeks leading up to the exams, got over confident and ended up getting all Cs -.-
Wow, I still haven't started for GCSEs :facepalm:

Spoiler

Reply 32
I also feel very guilty when I don't revise but I wish I had your addiction/ dedication!

I do enjoy revising when I understand what I'm studying but I don't like having to read/ write the same thing over and over again because there's something that won't click, like a difficult concept/ rule. :frown:
Reply 33
Oh my god i know what you mean. In year 11 i revised so much but i hated it. Now i'm in year 12, i revise all day every day, and sadly, i feel wrong if i don't. It's pretty addictive!
Reply 34
Original post by james-p
Hello TSR,

As the title of my thread states, I would say that I'm addicted to revision!

I'm currently in Year 11 and I have been revising for about three months for my GCSE Exams in the Summer of 2013.

Every night I usually do between 2 - 4 hours of revision and around 4 - 6 hours of revision on Saturdays and Sundays.

The thing is, I feel like I'm doing something wrong and feel quite guilty when I'm having a break from revision. Sounds weird, I know. For example, if I was to watch TV for 30 mins I would feel bad that I hadn't spent that time revising.

I know this sounds absolutely crazy! I think most people have the opposite problem to me! Most people in my year at school haven't even started revision for their Summer Exams yet!

Does anyone else feel like this too? Don't really know what responses I'll get to this thread, if any!

Instead of looking at the amount of time you revise for, just think of it in terms of how much you want to get done a day. Write out each chapter of revision from all your subjects, and make a timetable. Don't be unrealistic with the amount you set yourself each day! That way, you feel like you've done all you need to have done for the day, rather than just constantly revising and not having checkpoints!
Said no one ever, except you :P
Original post by upthegunners
GCSEs are easy

You aren't very good at sympathising people are you?
I literally laughed at your reply lool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Hmm, I think everyone feels guilt to some extent when they're not revising and that's good because it drives you but too much like you is :eek:
you need to work on not over reacting and having other activities...
think about what will happen after you finish your exams? You brain will flop from not knowing what to do. Trust happened to me, nastily waking up with panic attacks for a month till I found a job...
Plus at gcse stage there's only so much you can revise before you're just repeating yourself and trust me, you won't forget it if you take a few days break :smile:
Tell me your secret.
Reply 39
Ahhh I have the same thing! I actually enjoy revision hahaha and I'm actually dreading having so much time off for summer...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending