The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Does UCL suck outside of the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by a.partridge
Might when you look at research budget which completely dwarfs what most UK universities.

That is only if you look at the money. That doesn't mean you will get more food than I do, if you have £200 and I have £100. If I know how to cook myself and buy good food when on sale, while you spend your £200 on restaurants, you'll still get less good food than I do.

My point is, money itself are really not the "benchmark" here, but how "smart" you spend them.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by intstud29
First of all, you don't need to believe it's 4th in the world. It's totally ok to disagree. But no one should disagree that UCL is among top 20 in the world, that is a fact. Maybe not 4th but definitely top 20 in the world, if not top 15 in my opinion.

If you don't believe QS ranking which places UCL as 4th, then how about THES which places UCL as 17th in the world and ARWU which places UCL as 21st in the world?

Three huge world rankings and the results are: 4th, 17th, 21st place.

I have to laugh hard each time I read this "worshipping" of American unis. Such as "mightly American unis", LOL:biggrin:. Where is this worshipping coming from? Is the U.S. paradise for those like you? LOL.

Zurich or St.Gallen are very good, no doubt. McGill i Canada the same. But besides that, the rest are American and UK unis in the top 20.

I think most people would agree that these are top 20 in the world, in no particular order.

Stanford, Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, LSE, Imperial, UCL, MIT, CalTech, Berkeley, Cornell, Zurich/St.Gallen, McGill, and the rest is maybe more "vague", but Brown, UCLA, Warwick and KCL are good candidates.

So this is basically 19-20 unis which most would agree are top 20 in the world. So UCL is maybe not 4th but definitely top 15-20 in the world, which THES and ARWU also confirm.

I haven't even mentioned European business schools, those would trash U.S. boys. Heck, U.S. don't even have pre-experience Master's, lol, only MBAs (with couple of exeptions of course) but they are nowhere near top European schools in this area. For MBA it's 50/50 U.S. vs Europe.

You know so much I want to cry.

Do you think its worth me putting an application into McGill (Deadline is in March and I don't think it would take me more than 4/5?) and what about Toronto? I think deadline is in March too. Or are they not worthy?

Or should I quit being a bitch and just get my grades for Comp Sci UCL?

Please help me, I need some wisdom right now
Reply 42
Original post by Better

Do you think its worth me putting an application into McGill (Deadline is in March and I don't think it would take me more than 4/5?) and what about Toronto? I think deadline is in March too. Or are they not worthy?

Hi again,

If you have the grades for McGill, then just apply. But UCL is an excellent uni so it's up to you. Toronto is very good, but I don't think you will need it. If you feel you are at UCL/McGill level then go for it, and concentrate on these two:smile:

Do you plan on doing a MSc after your undergrad degree?
Reply 43
A fool can throw a stone into water that 20 wise men couldn't recover...
Reply 44
Hi again,

If you have the grades for McGill, then just apply. But UCL is an excellent uni so it's up to you. Toronto is very good, but I don't think you will need it. If you feel you are at UCL/McGill level then go for it, and concentrate on these two:smile:

Do you plan on doing a MSc after your undergrad degree?

Thanks for the reply again.

Yeah I have decided to focus on just my grades this year, after reading what you said again, I can still apply to Toronto as application is still open but I contacted McGill and applications are closed, so I will just focus on what needs to be done.

And yes my degree includes an MSc.

I think I may apply to try to transfer from UCL/Kings depending on which one I will try to get in to Ivy League or Stanford.

Not sure how I would go about that. If you know anything that would help. -___- Boy I have my work cut out for me .................

If its too competitive to get into any American Uni's (I'll try around 9 or so, the Ivy Leagues, Stanford, Carnegie Melon and maybe 2 more) Transfer from 1st Year UCL -------> US then I will apply for MBA/Masters around age 27 or so.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Better
Thanks for the reply again.

And yes my degree includes an MSc.

I think I may apply to try to transfer from UCL/Kings depending on which one I will try to get in to Ivy League or Stanford.

Not sure how I would go about that. If you know anything that would help.

If its too competitive to get into any American Uni's (I'll try around 9 or so, the Ivy Leagues, Stanford, Carnegie Melon and maybe 2 more) Transfer from 1st Year UCL -------> US then I will apply for MBA/Masters around age 27 or so.

Hi again, no problem:smile:

I wouldn't go for transfer, I deeply believe that you really have everything you need in Europe. I mean, for MBA you can consider the U.S. alongside Europe, because they are 50/50 in that area, but everything else, especially MSc, (pre-experience Masters), then Europe is the boss in that area. I don't need to show you Financial Times rankings where there are none American schools at pre-experience MSc-level.

The closest you'll get a great school which has pre-experience Masters in the U.S. is Duke ***ua Business School but they are still nowhere near Europe in this area.

So in my opinion, for undergrad . go UCL/KCL, get a 1st or high 2:1.

For MSc (pre-experience), again you have KCL, UCL, LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, LBS, Imperial, Cranfield, HEC, ESSEC, ESCP, Warwick, St-Gallen, IE, ESADE, RSM, Bocconi. I mean, you really don't need more options, neither can you find any better than this, because U.S. does not have pre-experience Masters, so U.S. can't compete with Europe in this area.

Then if you want MBA after few years work, then you can consider U.S. but again alongside Europe. You can add another top-class schools from Europe for MBA which unfortunatey don't have MSc pre-experience programs such as INSEAD, IESE and IMD in addition to the top-schools I mentioned for MSc which have both MBA and MSc programs. So you have many choices for everything. Hope this helps:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Hi again, no problem:smile:

I wouldn't go for transfer, I deeply believe that you really have everything you need in Europe. I mean, for MBA you can consider the U.S. alongside Europe, because they are 50/50 in that area, but everything else, especially MSc, (pre-experience Masters), then Europe is the boss in that area. I don't need to show you Financial Times rankings where there are none American schools at pre-experience MSc-level.

The closest you'll get a great school which has pre-experience Masters in the U.S. is Duke ***ua Business School but they are still nowhere near Europe in this area.

So in my opinion, for undergrad . go UCL/KCL, get a 1st or high 2:1.

For MSc (pre-experience), again you have KCL, UCL, LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, LBS, Imperial, Cranfield, HEC, ESSEC, ESCP, Warwick, St-Gallen, IE, ESADE, RSM, Bocconi. I mean, you really don't need more options, neither can you find any better than this, because U.S. does not have pre-experience Masters, so U.S. can't compete with Europe in this area.

Then if you want MBA after few years work, then you can consider U.S. but again alongside Europe. You can add another top-class schools from Europe for MBA which unfortunatey don't have MSc pre-experience programs such as INSEAD, IESE and IMD in addition to the top-schools I mentioned for MSc which have both MBA and MSc programs. So you have many choices for everything. Hope this helps:smile:

You have helped me more than you understand. I will try to read more about this so I can start to understand the system more like you do.

Thank you, you absolute hero/legend!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Freiheit
Surely most people outside uk only know a maximum of 2 or maybe 3 unis in uk. I doubt an average European/American cares enough to have a knowledge of universities which aren't in their own country.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Fair point.

I'm in France right now and have been discussing UK unis with students and executives.

Now, those who know UK unis quite well know and respect UCL. They know it as one of the leading unis and know it is is London.

As for the rest (i.e. the vast majority), they all know Oxbridge.

Most have heard of LSE, which has gained a stellar reputation in France over the last 5-10 years. A significant number of those interested in engineering, particularly students in grandes écoles) have heard of Imperial.

Same thing with LBS for students in management.

So Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and LBS are safe bets in that respect.

Warwick sounds familiar to ...some people and so does King's College (historically or confusion with Cam's college?).

Beyond that, good unis such as St Andrews, Bristol (and to a certain extent UCL) etc are virtually unknown to the general public of students or execs.
Original post by Better

If you are going by rankings Toronto beats out McGill, but with anything it is the program you are applying to which matters more than the university itself. Toronto I would say is particularly strong in Life Sciences and the Humanities (particularly English) as well as Engineering (Engineering Science I think was rated the hardest degree in North America but I am not totally sure, but it is definitely extremely rigorous). U of T has an AMAZING Centre for Medieval Studies as well and is the gold standard for Latin teaching the world over. The Ivy League schools all require students in THEIR programs to take the Toronto Latin Exam, I'm int he course right now and have people from Princeton, Yale and Cornell in my class right now.

McGill is also excellent and also has strengths in Humanities, and has a really good medical school, and I think is stronger in social sciences than U of T, so poli-sci, sociology etc... and has a great law program, (though U of T does too both are good). All of the overall rankings to me are less important than the subject or program specific rankings.

But Toronto is definitely more than "just okay" it is a premier research university which pumps out more research than any university in North America other than Harvard. McGill is probably better known among the general populace, but again, in the field you are doing the academics and professionals themselves will know which places have great programs, and overall rankings are probably less important than program rankings, at least within the field or job market. If you want to have bragging rights (I totally understand), then perhaps the overall rankings is more important.

But d not discount U of T. (It is also gorgeous by the way)
Reply 49
its in god awful london, of course it sucks
Who actually cares if Matt Matteson or Tom Thompson doesn't know what UCL is? There are plenty of brilliant universities, especially outside of America, that don't get common recognition amongst regular people.

The important thing is that the people who matter to you (e.g. employers, academics) will know.
Original post by a.partridge
Might when you look at research budget which completely dwarfs what most UK universities.

It says a whole lot about the quality of UK universities that they're able to stay competitive with considerably smaller research budgets though.
Reply 52
Just because UCL is unknown to some people doesn't mean it's a bad uni. People are usually aware of universities appearing in mainstream media and culture and UCL has existed for a relatively short time.

If you apply for jobs outside the UK and your prospective employer will be faced with your CV, they will look for more things than just your education - and they can always google the university for reference.
Reply 53
It is better for you all not to seriously in depth with your academic (it is still top priority for employer though).. i think my work life now is far far harder than my academic life.. in university you are treated very well.. you study harder and you achieve better..

In office, this logic doesn't sound.. it is really complex in the matter of the work itself, the politics behind, your network and ao on so forth..

Get the top in the class.. UCL is still among the world's best.. Your work is still waiting ahead

Cheers
Reply 54
Original post by Harsya29
It is better for you all not to seriously in depth with your academic (it is still top priority for employer though).. i think my work life now is far far harder than my academic life.. in university you are treated very well.. you study harder and you achieve better..

In office, this logic doesn't sound.. it is really complex in the matter of the work itself, the politics behind, your network and ao on so forth..

Get the top in the class.. UCL is still among the world's best.. Your work is still waiting ahead

Cheers

Great great advice.
Reply 55
I studied abroad at UCL, and based on my experience, I'd say yes, but not for the reason you cited. It is true that few outside the UK have heard of UCL, but that doesn't matter for grad school apps, etc., because any serious person in academia has definitely heard of UCL. I had actually heard of UCL before I applied.

UCL is an extremely good school for hard sciences. For the humanities--at least for art history, which is what I studied--UCL SUCKS...INSIDE AND OUTSIDE OF THE UK. The resources were laughably bad. Literally, I saw them and laughed. The department seemed to have only two small classrooms, with no desks, so students had to write on their laps. The instruction was meandering and shallow at best, but after the first week it didn't matter anyways, because my classes were taught half of the time by other students. They just gave PowerPoint presentations (often terrible) on the assigned readings. I didn't pay to be taught by 19-year-olds who don't give a s***. It was frustrating.

The entire university has one humanities library; for reference, where I go to school in the US and lots of schools in the US and Europe have one library for each humanities subject. UCL's library is bad at that. It's understaffed, obnoxiously overcrowded, humid for some reason, and has a middling collection much of which is missing, damaged, or can only be checked out for one week *because people need the book often* and rather than, say, buying two copies, the university has just slapped a "one week loan" sticker on it. The copiers and online services are perennially out of order, and don't even think about asking a staff member why because they'll probably just stare at you, chuckle, and then go back to chatting with their friends.

That UCL is ranked so highly for art history in the UK boggles the mind. I received better instruction in high school. The feedback on papers, at least, was solid, but overall my experience there was a joke. It seemed like the best students had just come into the university already knowing a lot and if anything were stagnating at UCL.

For the inevitable haters of my comment, I experienced what I experienced. It's possible I had an unusually bad time, but given what I've heard from other students, I doubt it. The one advantage was that it's in London, so the museum opportunities were incredible. (UCL's """"art museum""" itself was a joke.) I don't know if the school just doesn't fund the humanities or what, but something was seriously wrong there. Bottom line is this: having been at UCL, I would not take an art history degree from UCL seriously. If UCL is one of the 'top three' humanities schools in Britain, that's more a sad reflection on Britain's overconcentration of academic resources at Oxbridge--or a lie--than any indication that your degree there will be worthwhile.

Queue the haters...
Reply 56
Original post by yu77827
I studied abroad at UCL, and based on my experience, I'd say yes, but not for the reason you cited. It is true that few outside the UK have heard of UCL, but that doesn't matter for grad school apps, etc., because any serious person in academia has definitely heard of UCL. I had actually heard of UCL before I applied.

UCL is an extremely good school for hard sciences. For the humanities--at least for art history, which is what I studied--UCL SUCKS...INSIDE AND OUTSIDE OF THE UK. The resources were laughably bad. Literally, I saw them and laughed. The department seemed to have only two small classrooms, with no desks, so students had to write on their laps. The instruction was meandering and shallow at best, but after the first week it didn't matter anyways, because my classes were taught half of the time by other students. They just gave PowerPoint presentations (often terrible) on the assigned readings. I didn't pay to be taught by 19-year-olds who don't give a s***. It was frustrating.

The entire university has one humanities library; for reference, where I go to school in the US and lots of schools in the US and Europe have one library for each humanities subject. UCL's library is bad at that. It's understaffed, obnoxiously overcrowded, humid for some reason, and has a middling collection much of which is missing, damaged, or can only be checked out for one week *because people need the book often* and rather than, say, buying two copies, the university has just slapped a "one week loan" sticker on it. The copiers and online services are perennially out of order, and don't even think about asking a staff member why because they'll probably just stare at you, chuckle, and then go back to chatting with their friends.

That UCL is ranked so highly for art history in the UK boggles the mind. I received better instruction in high school. The feedback on papers, at least, was solid, but overall my experience there was a joke. It seemed like the best students had just come into the university already knowing a lot and if anything were stagnating at UCL.

For the inevitable haters of my comment, I experienced what I experienced. It's possible I had an unusually bad time, but given what I've heard from other students, I doubt it. The one advantage was that it's in London, so the museum opportunities were incredible. (UCL's """"art museum""" itself was a joke.) I don't know if the school just doesn't fund the humanities or what, but something was seriously wrong there. Bottom line is this: having been at UCL, I would not take an art history degree from UCL seriously. If UCL is one of the 'top three' humanities schools in Britain, that's more a sad reflection on Britain's overconcentration of academic resources at Oxbridge--or a lie--than any indication that your degree there will be worthwhile.

Queue the haters...

Hi could you expand on this please? I was deciding between Birmingham and UCL and was swayed towards UCL but am now considering changing my mind due to this post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending