The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 28th January - Discuss!

How's everyone? Confident? Nervous?

Can someone post some sort of predicted questions paper for this?

Feel free to discuss anything Edexcel FP1 related here, and good luck to all :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone know where any unofficial mark scheme for this will be put up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm feeling pretty confident :P Working through the review questions in the book that we have seems to be going quite well, and they include a lot of questions from the previous syllabus' exams, so theyre great :biggrin: The last one of all was fun, I posted it on another related thread, so I'll just paste my post:

"No problems so far, actually looking forward to it! Just time that is a nuisance, what with some induction questions and the sum of r^3 proofs taking pages to write out. The last question of my books review questions was rather challenging and very satisfying to complete, so if anyone wants to try it, I challenge you! It is: funmathsquestion.pngEnjoy!"

But then again, I was totally ready in my mind to 100% c1 and yet I made some horribly silly mistakes, such as selecting the wrong part of the curve in the inequalities question, and only factorising (4x^3 - x) to x(4x^2 -1) as opposed to x(2x-1)(2x+1)!
Original post by The Shanus
I'm feeling pretty confident :P Working through the review questions in the book that we have seems to be going quite well, and they include a lot of questions from the previous syllabus' exams, so theyre great :biggrin: The last one of all was fun, I posted it on another related thread, so I'll just paste my post:

"No problems so far, actually looking forward to it! Just time that is a nuisance, what with some induction questions and the sum of r^3 proofs taking pages to write out. The last question of my books review questions was rather challenging and very satisfying to complete, so if anyone wants to try it, I challenge you! It is: funmathsquestion.pngEnjoy!"

But then again, I was totally ready in my mind to 100% c1 and yet I made some horribly silly mistakes, such as selecting the wrong part of the curve in the inequalities question, and only factorising (4x^3 - x) to x(4x^2 -1) as opposed to x(2x-1)(2x+1)!

I'm looking forward to this exam as well. I've done that question; it's difficult to do if you use the textbook method (subtracting f(K)) but pretty easy if you use the other method (which is to factorise f(k) from f(k+1).
Original post by Yobbers4u
Does anyone know where any unofficial mark scheme for this will be put up?

Its likely to go up in the Maths Exams board, and the person responsible is likely to be Arsey, and the time would be some time on the 29th (Tuesday).

-

I'm only really worried about proof by induction. I hate that stuff so much. Its just knowing when to factorise out or which equalities to be comparing that floors me every time. Everything else is trivial!
Reply 5
Pretty confident :smile: Just finished the specimen paper and the mock paper in the textbook which weren't that hard, so hopefully it should be good as long as it is similar to past papers.
Reply 6
Original post by Epic Flawless
I'm looking forward to this exam as well. I've done that question; it's difficult to do if you use the textbook method (subtracting f(K)) but pretty easy if you use the other method (which is to factorise f(k) from f(k+1).

I agree, although what with the playing around with indices, and the creative thinking required for similar induction questions, I would credit it as the hardest question in the book. Its odd that they dont include the substitution method that you spoke about.

Original post by Kishan91
Pretty confident :smile: Just finished the specimen paper and the mock paper in the textbook which weren't that hard, so hopefully it should be good as long as it is similar to past papers.

It should be the same as old past papers, so I think we'll be fine :biggrin: At least, I hope so x)
Reply 7
Original post by Kishan91

Going by my S2 and M2 experiences already... do not expect the papers this round to be rehashes of the standard old papers.
I Hope in mathematical induction questions the divisible questions wont appear as it appeared on june
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LShirley95
Going by my S2 and M2 experiences already... do not expect the papers this round to be rehashes of the standard old papers.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling you're going to be right. :/ I can guess we can only try to do our best and besides, a harsh paper will allow the better candidates to be differentiated anyway.
Reply 10
I'm feeling relatively confident for FP1 compared to how confident I am about doing M3 straight after... :L
Reply 11
Original post by The Shanus
It is: funmathsquestion.pngEnjoy!"

Now that was fun.

Spoiler

I expect some nasty induction as the "hard" question on FP1 now as it is usually parabola/hyperbolas. They're mixing things up on other papers and I think induction is the only other part they can make sufficiently tricky.

Then again, I could still be surprised.
Reply 12
Hey guys, quick questions about something in the formula booklet: it gives you the matrix for a reflection in the line y=(tanθ)x, so where can I find questions where this knowledge is relevant? I've never seen this before :s-smilie:.
Reply 13
Original post by leo99756
Hey guys, quick questions about something in the formula booklet: it gives you the matrix for a reflection in the line y=(tanθ)x, so where can I find questions where this knowledge is relevant? I've never seen this before :s-smilie:.

I honestly have no idea. But at least we have the formula?!
Original post by Brutal_Pigeon
Its likely to go up in the Maths Exams board, and the person responsible is likely to be Arsey, and the time would be some time on the 29th (Tuesday).

-

I'm only really worried about proof by induction. I hate that stuff so much. Its just knowing when to factorise out or which equalities to be comparing that floors me every time. Everything else is trivial!

Equalities? What?
Original post by LShirley95
Now that was fun.

Spoiler

I expect some nasty induction as the "hard" question on FP1 now as it is usually parabola/hyperbolas. They're mixing things up on other papers and I think induction is the only other part they can make sufficiently tricky.

Then again, I could still be surprised.

Could you show your working please?
Also, when they say to show the points on an argand diagram, do we have to put down the coordinates, or draw axis?
Reply 17
Original post by thorn0123
Could you show your working please?

Attached. I'm no authority though, I may have got something wrong and ended up with this. Please tell me if you notice something!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by thorn0123
Also, when they say to show the points on an argand diagram, do we have to put down the coordinates, or draw axis?

I think either is sufficient - if you draw axis make sure it's clear which numbers refer to which points. The mark schemes usually just want some vaguely relative scale with the points in the right quadrant/on the right axis.
Reply 19
FP1 is a complete joke comparing to the m3 exam. There are virtually no hard questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending