The Student Room Group

General Solution please help got exam tday

I'm stuck on this question, can someone tell me how do I find the particular integral of this:

Reply 1
I'm getting PI = 0 as f(x) = 0 however the answer is y(PI) = -2t.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
In general the form of the particular integral will match that of the function at the end. In this case as the function 10 at the end is just a constant you can use a substitution of y= k where k is also a constant. How ever in this case your general solution from the auxiliary equation also has a constant in it. (A + Be^5x). A is a constant too. So you are required to shift your P.I form by one power of x by multiplying by x to make it y=kx. Hence y' = k and y'' =0. Substituting into the initial equation gives k =-2. so the P.I is y= -2x.

hence the overall solution becomes y = A + Be^5x -2x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by singh224
I'm stuck on this question, can someone tell me how do I find the particular integral of this:

Note that since your equation has no term in y in it you can integrate w.r.t.t straight away to reduce it to a first-order DE!
Reply 4
Original post by Fat-Love
In general the form of the particular integral will match that of the function at the end. In this case as the function 10 at the end is just a constant you can use a substitution of y= k where k is also a constant. How ever in this case your general solution from the auxiliary equation also has a constant in it. (A + Be^5x). A is a constant too. So you are required to shift your P.I form by one power of x by multiplying by x to make it y=kx. Hence y' = k and y'' =0. Substituting into the initial equation gives k =-2. so the P.I is y= -2x.

hence the overall solution becomes y = A + Be^5x -2x

Thanks, I didn't notice that lol.

Thank you soo much :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest