The Student Room Group

Do you think that cricket is losing its popularity in england?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have uni friends who play it, and know many people who watch it. (I guess it is a kind of posh game, I see it like that anyway, so at uni it has a lot of popularity).
We live just down the road from edgbaston cricket ground and it is often packed. Also in my area most people are pakistani and are always playing it outside on the road or in the park. So amongst some people it is still very popular.
I don't watch it, but only because I don't understand the rules lol.
Reply 21
Original post by Charcharx
Im ashamed to say I don't really know the rules and it does seem rather boring to watch at least.

Saying "I don't know the rules but it seems boring" is like saying "I don't know how to read but this book seems boring". Obviously if you don't know whats going on, its going to seem boring.
Original post by Drewski
International Test cricket gets more spectators and tv viewers than any other form of the game.

Original post by py0alb
How come the Ashes tickets sold out faster than Glastonbury then?

On the domestic front the T20 is easily the most popular tournament, and will be even more so now they've finally sorted out a sensible schedule. But no-one gives a monkeys about ODIs in this country, but Test Matches regularly pull in over 100,000 spectators.

What I meant was that in the distant future (20-30 years, maybe sooner) I can see test cricket dying out relative to 20/20. Not any time soon.
Reply 23
Original post by py0alb
Saying "I don't know the rules but it seems boring" is like saying "I don't know how to read but this book seems boring". Obviously if you don't know whats going on, its going to seem boring.

Thats true but it doesn't seem that easy to learn the rules, for example I don't know all the rules to football but I enjoy watching a football match every now and then. A better example is rugby actually as I have no idea what the scoring system is but i love watching rugby, in fact that might be for other reasons :sexface:
Reply 24
Original post by rcummins1
What I meant was that in the distant future (20-30 years, maybe sooner) I can see test cricket dying out relative to 20/20. Not any time soon.

I see no reason why that would be the case - it has survived 136 years so far and is more exciting and popular than ever.

Professional 50 over cricket might well die out in the next 10 years though.
Reply 25
Original post by rcummins1

Nah, tests will remain as the 'higher form' of the game, perhaps with some reforms, but they'll stay. OneDayers will go, with Twenty20s taking over as the pre-eminent short form.
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Baseball suxs Baseball suxs Baseball suxs
England should really have a competive T20 league like the IPL. Its way better than any football league can be. And it'll make cricket more popular

Posted from TSR Mobile

There simply isn't the money to hold an IPL style tournament in England. Besides I'm not a huge fan of T20, it's all over too quickly. One of the joys of Test cricket is the length; it feels much more tactical and refined, and it means you can relax while watching it. Still, you might be right about the popularity boost, although series like the Ashes are still massively popular.
Reply 27
Original post by FrogInABog
There simply isn't the money to hold an IPL style tournament in England. Besides I'm not a huge fan of T20, it's all over too quickly. One of the joys of Test cricket is the length; it feels much more tactical and refined, and it means you can relax while watching it. Still, you might be right about the popularity boost, although series like the Ashes are still massively popular.

The current T20 tournament is very popular as it is. You very rarely see many spare seats on a Friday evening game.

Cricket does quite well as a live game, the problem is that not enough people are able to watch it on telly because its on sky.
Original post by sxswhsw
I hear that many people say its boring

One reason why people don't watch it as much now is simply because of MATCH FIXING we don't know if the match is being played legitimate or is it a fixed result. Pretty sad.
Original post by cleveradam
One reason why people don't watch it as much now is simply because of MATCH FIXING we don't know if the match is being played legitimate or is it a fixed result. Pretty sad.

Yeah I agree with you here, but personally I prefer T20 to tests. ODIs are ok but I prefer T20 as its faster

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cricket is different gravy.
Reply 31
I used to watch it quite a bit, haven't watched it in a while though, don't have the time. Put on the South Africa New Zealand match the other day and recognised 4 South African players I think. Made me realise how out of touch I am with cricket now.
Reply 32
"Cricket is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Stephen Fry, 2009
Original post by py0alb
"Cricket is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Stephen Fry, 2009

Stephen Fry agrees therefore it must be true. :L
Its alright during summer holidays when you can lounge around for 5 days watching the tests. But who has the time to watch it any other time, even 20/20 takes 3 hours which is too long for average weekend viewing.
Original post by Gary Barlow
Its alright during summer holidays when you can lounge around for 5 days watching the tests. But who has the time to watch it any other time, even 20/20 takes 3 hours which is too long for average weekend viewing.

Yeah I know what you mean especially with exams and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36

It takes, like, 15 minutes longer than a football match.
Original post by py0alb
It takes, like, 15 minutes longer than a football match.

It takes an hour and a half longer than a football match.
Reply 38
It takes an hour and a half longer than a football match.

Yeah, because a 90 minutes football match actually lasts EXACTLY 90 minutes from the kick off to the final whistle. :rolleyes:
Original post by py0alb
Yeah, because a 90 minutes football match actually lasts EXACTLY 90 minutes from the kick off to the final whistle. :rolleyes:

Ah of course, you've convinced me.

Quick Reply