The Student Room Group

Diagnostic radiography 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Becky
how difficult do you believe it would be in say 5 years? Do you think there will be too many qualified radiographers and not enough jobs?

Hey ya

I'm currently studying in Liverpool, (hopefully) going into my last year this year. It's my understanding that the NHS are paying for the course because they expect a shortage in the next few years as the post war baby boom generation begin to retire. I know all of the people who were still on the course at my placement site this year had jobs when they finished. goodluck!
(edited 10 years ago)
hey everyone, biomedical science graduate here, graduated a year ago and still no job, im considering my options and thinking about applying for radiography but I don't know to much about it, after graduating do you have to apply for jobs? or do you get placements during the course and after grad they take you on straight away? also how big are the class sizes?
Im doing biology, psychology, chemistry and eng literature AS level and will be doing all except chemistry for A2. Got work experience at Leicester general hospital for two days at imaging department but have no idea which uni to go to...either university of derby or bcu...i was really impressed by derby at the higher education convention whereas bcu woman was rude and didn't explain the facilities or anythin...still, I am lost and have no clue which uni is better for this course ??! Help
Reply 23
Original post by unknown guy
hey everyone, biomedical science graduate here, graduated a year ago and still no job, im considering my options and thinking about applying for radiography but I don't know to much about it, after graduating do you have to apply for jobs? or do you get placements during the course and after grad they take you on straight away? also how big are the class sizes?

Yep, you still have go through with the job application processes. Most (if not all) uni's will send you on placements and that can make it easier when it comes to applying for jobs because the departments will be familiar with you and how you work. You'll still have to write personal statements, go on interviews etc.

I can't say anything about class sizes because it differs between each uni. At St George's Uni of London there were about 50 Diagnostic and 20-25 (I think) Therapeutic students.

Original post by weevilspongebob
Im doing biology, psychology, chemistry and eng literature AS level and will be doing all except chemistry for A2. Got work experience at Leicester general hospital for two days at imaging department but have no idea which uni to go to...either university of derby or bcu...i was really impressed by derby at the higher education convention whereas bcu woman was rude and didn't explain the facilities or anythin...still, I am lost and have no clue which uni is better for this course ??! Help

Just go with whichever uni you liked more. Radiography departments don't care which uni you went to. Look at the placement sites for each uni and decide which are more preferable to you in terms of size and distance. Most of the course you'll spend on placement, and how you performed in the departments will matter more.
Reply 24
Original post by FXX
Subscribing! Radiographer here, any questions about the job/course (though can't tell you much about specific universities as I only went to one :wink: ) feel free to ask.

Do you know what the job situation is like? I'm about to begin the degree in 2013, but I have been doing searches for DR jobs and there's literally hardly any adverts for band 5s. I'm rather disheartened. This will be my second degree and I don't want to pursue something that won't pay off in the end. :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by ecokid
Do you know what the job situation is like? I'm about to begin the degree in 2013, but I have been doing searches for DR jobs and there's literally hardly any adverts for band 5s. I'm rather disheartened. This will be my second degree and I don't want to pursue something that won't pay off in the end. :frown:

Job situation is getting steadily better, impossible to tell if it's a trend that will continue - but with increasing population comes an increasing need for people to find out what's wrong with them.

Almost everyone gets a job within 6 months of qualifying though.
Reply 26
If anyone is interested, a friend of mine started a forum purely for radiography students.

http://www.student-radiographer.co.uk/forum
What unis are there in the west midlands that offer undergraduate radiology degree?
Reply 28
Original post by Catchetat
What unis are there in the west midlands that offer undergraduate radiology degree?

I'm assuming you mean radiography? In the west midlands, as far as I know Birmingham City University are the only university that offer this course.
Reply 29
Original post by Catchetat

https://www.sor.org/about-radiography/career-radiography/directory-courses
yes radiography. sorry about the confusion. thanks!
Reply 31
Anyone on here interested in the following Universities for radiography 2014 just curious

Salford
Leeds
Liverpool
Cumbria
Bradford
Sheffield Hallam
Hi everyone

If you're interested in studying radiography here are a few reasons why you should choose Bradford:

We have a brand new building on our main City Campus for Health Studies students including the latest facilities, just as you would find in a real hospital suite. Have a look at: http://www.bradford.ac.uk/health/facilities/diagnostic-radiography-facilities/

We are in the top 20 universities in the UK for graduate employment and the number one in Yorkshire.

All of our students get exposure to the world of work as part of their studies and our clinical placements ensure you get the best experience you can whilst you are studying.

You'll earn more than a degree at the University of Bradford and here is our new video to show you how:

[video="youtube_share;q5PS-uEs69c"]http://youtu.be/q5PS-uEs69c[/video]

If you have any questions at all do get in touch either on here or on twitter or facebook:

@bradfordUni

https://www.facebook.com/university.bradford

Cheers

Claire
Reply 33
I had a 1 day work experience at a hospital and am taking a gap year. So what other work experiences would be helpful for applying this course?
Reply 34
can i do radiography with a btec in health and social care health pathway.
Reply 35
I got BBC in Biology, Business Studies, and Physics in my AS Levels. Two or three of my choices are BBB required at A Level. Will they reject me straight away or look at my predicted grades ? (The universities are Liverpool, Ulster and Salford, I'm also applying to Glasgow Caledonian and Queen Margret that look for BCC and CCC)
Reply 36
Original post by kiara139
I had a 1 day work experience at a hospital and am taking a gap year. So what other work experiences would be helpful for applying this course?

I think showing that you can work with a range of patients would be good :smile: eg age and disability. I would recommend nursing homes, children's play groups, etc.
Hey can anyone advice me
What are my chances of getting into radiography with these A2 courses Bio, Psychology & Sociology
And predicted grades will be B/A for Bio
A* for psychology and sociology.
I have finished my PS and have got a Two day placement lined up at an imaging department in my local hospital.
I have worked in a day centre for children {1 Month} charity shop {6 months and still work there} worked in some other work experience and also done a week in a hospital.
Anyhow please I need to know what my chances are, my bio grade at AS is not that good but I'm planing on retaking one module.
So yea what are my chances.
:smile: thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Dimples_ND
Hey can anyone advice me
What are my chances of getting into radiography with these A2 courses Bio, Psychology & Sociology
And predicted grades will be B/A for Bio
A* for psychology and sociology.
I have finished my PS and have got a Two day placement lined up at an imaging department in my local hospital.
I have worked in a day centre for children {1 Month} charity shop {6 months and still work there} worked in some other work experience and also done a week in a hospital.
Anyhow please I need to know what my chances are, my bio grade at AS is not that good but I'm planing on retaking one module.
So yea what are my chances.
:smile: thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good
Original post by kiara139
Sounds good

Thank-you :smile:
Just have to hope for the best I guess :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply