The Student Room Group

Diagnostic radiography 2014

I have applied for diagnostic radiography 2014 to city, herts, st georges, southbank and uni. of east of england. City emailed me telling that 2014 intake is not open currently whereas no any news from others. I actually got ADEE Maths, chem, physics and biology respectiely and i am currently doing maths, chem and AS further maths in A2. Do you think i'll be able to get a place for this course? Btw, my 1st choice is city. So i will apply next year for CITY. fingers crossed.:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiara139
I have applied for diagnostic radiography 2014 to city, herts, st georges, southbank and uni. of east of england. City emailed me telling that 2014 intake is not open currently whereas no any news from others. I actually got ADEE Maths, chem, physics and biology respectiely and i am currently doing maths, chem and AS further maths in A2. Do you think i'll be able to get a place for this course? Btw, my 1st choice is city. So i will apply next year for CITY. fingers crossed.:frown:

tell me if u get an offer!! I really want to go to city too... however it depends on my results...entry requirements for city has become ABB in 2014 im doomed -.-
Reply 2
Original post by imconfused
tell me if u get an offer!! I really want to go to city too... however it depends on my results...entry requirements for city has become ABB in 2014 im doomed -.-

Actually i withdrew my application but City emailed me that they are not currently open for deferred entry and st georges rejected and was invited for interview on Herts but didn't attend due to some personal reasons. So gonna apply next year. Wbu? & you know, now i am not sure if i should do radiography coz i found that its so so so hard to get radiography jobs.. what do u think? :confused: not sure what i should do?
Actually i withdrew my application but City emailed me that they are not currently open for deferred entry and st georges rejected and was invited for interview on Herts but didn't attend due to some personal reasons. So gonna apply next year. Wbu? & you know, now i am not sure if i should do radiography coz i found that its so so so hard to get radiography jobs.. what do u think? :confused: not sure what i should do?

Im applying next yr :biggrin: haven't got my grades yet so...I though radiography industry was gd? in the uni sites it say approx. 90% get a job/further study within 6 months? I did a research & didn't occur anything bad about the radiograpghy industry?
Reply 4
Im applying next yr :biggrin: haven't got my grades yet so...I though radiography industry was gd? in the uni sites it say approx. 90% get a job/further study within 6 months? I did a research & didn't occur anything bad about the radiograpghy industry?

Yeah even i had done a lot more research and got really excited for radiography. I thought thats the one but then i had been to its work experience at hillingdon hospital and jobwise i liked it a lot but i found out from the staffs that its a real struggle when it comes to radiography jobs. So i got to meet people who were volunteering there after graduating as they were not able to find job. They said that its just too many radiographers right now and i dont wanna end up without job after graduating.
and nursing is my 2nd option but i dont really find myself into nursing but nursing jobs are more available than others and then pharmaceutical- not interested. So i have no idea what i should do coz i am not the brainy one who could go anywhere.
I am sorry if i am influencing u to change ur mind but thats what i found out after the work experience. Just so worried what should i do? I am good at maths but i dont know career in maths and i dont wanna end up teaching. what do u reckon? & plz let me know if u find anything interesting and hopeful on radiography or any other career.
Yeah even i had done a lot more research and got really excited for radiography. I thought thats the one but then i had been to its work experience at hillingdon hospital and jobwise i liked it a lot but i found out from the staffs that its a real struggle when it comes to radiography jobs. So i got to meet people who were volunteering there after graduating as they were not able to find job. They said that its just too many radiographers right now and i dont wanna end up without job after graduating.
and nursing is my 2nd option but i dont really find myself into nursing but nursing jobs are more available than others and then pharmaceutical- not interested. So i have no idea what i should do coz i am not the brainy one who could go anywhere.
I am sorry if i am influencing u to change ur mind but thats what i found out after the work experience. Just so worried what should i do? I am good at maths but i dont know career in maths and i dont wanna end up teaching. what do u reckon? & plz let me know if u find anything interesting and hopeful on radiography or any other career.

if u r lookin at maths in money wise I would recommend accounting & finance...however I am currently doing a level maths & really struggling.. I believe with accounting its a hate or love relationship (I know I wouldn't like that subject so...)

coming to radiography I believe its one of the industry that changes quite a lot...I believe I want to do radiography...and if I am unsuccessful I will do further studying in uni perhaps?
If u don't mind me asking how long did it take u to get the work experience? I mean I haven't done any work experience in a hospital and if I apply in july will I get a job by September/October?
Reply 6
if u r lookin at maths in money wise I would recommend accounting & finance...however I am currently doing a level maths & really struggling.. I believe with accounting its a hate or love relationship (I know I wouldn't like that subject so...)

coming to radiography I believe its one of the industry that changes quite a lot...I believe I want to do radiography...and if I am unsuccessful I will do further studying in uni perhaps?
If u don't mind me asking how long did it take u to get the work experience? I mean I haven't done any work experience in a hospital and if I apply in july will I get a job by September/October?

Accounting- dont like it.

I went to other hospitals but Hillingdon hospital was the only one which was accepting for work experience and luckily i got in and got to choose my own date. So i booked it 1 week after i spoke to the X-ray manager. It 's only a 1 day work shadowing though.
Well, i don't know about other hospitals but Hillingdon hospital takes u in pretty quickly. But i suggest you to book a place as soon as u can coz as i know, some other hospitals take a lot more time like 3 months to accept but for radiography, as it's work shadowing, it shouldnt take long, however, step up on time. Btw, very glad that hillingdon gave me the oppurtunity. :h:
So then are u firmly sticked to radiography? Btw, what subjects are u doing?
(edited 10 years ago)
Accounting- dont like it.

I went to other hospitals but Hillingdon hospital was the only one which was accepting for work experience and luckily i got in and got to choose my own date. So i booked it 1 week after i spoke to the X-ray manager. It 's only a 1 day work shadowing though.
Well, i don't know about other hospitals but Hillingdon hospital takes u in pretty quickly. But i suggest you to book a place as soon as u can coz as i know, some other hospitals take a lot more time like 3 months to accept but for radiography, as it's work shadowing, it shouldnt take long, however, step up on time. Btw, very glad that hillingdon gave me the oppurtunity. :h:
So then are u firmly sticked to radiography? Btw, what subjects are u doing?

yep hopefully :smile: soon as my exams finish im going to look for work experience :smile: im doing bio (aiming for A/B) physics (aiming for B) maths (hoping to scrape a C!!! I am really **** at maths :frown: ) anyways I really want to get into radiography and I REALLY REALLY want to go to City Uni so...
Reply 8
Subscribing! Radiographer here, any questions about the job/course (though can't tell you much about specific universities as I only went to one :wink: ) feel free to ask.
Reply 9
Also subscribing!
hoping to study at bcu 2014 intake!
Any ideas what's the best way to go about work experience? C
Reply 10
Original post by Carly181286
Also subscribing!
hoping to study at bcu 2014 intake!
Any ideas what's the best way to go about work experience? C

Go visit local hospital x-ray departments, or try phoning them too. It will be harder for them to ignore you that way.

If that don't work you can e-mail admissions tutors at the unis you're thinking of applying to. They'll have links to the sites they send students for placements to.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Subscribing! Radiographer here, any questions about the job/course (though can't tell you much about specific universities as I only went to one :wink: ) feel free to ask.[/QUOT

Hello.. omg!! now its more than nice to have some radiographer here. :biggrin: Basically i intented to do diagnostic radiography and i had even been for a work shadowing in a hospital but i realised that it was a complete different story there from what i googled. I found out that it's just so hard to get radiography jobs and even more harder to get jobs around local area and i am the person who dont likes to be away from home and i dont wanna end up jobless after graduating. Also, one of my relative is a radiography graduate but still no job on hands and so is doing her masters coz she couldnt find any job. So im worried and now i am 98% there to leave radiography and probably look into nursing but i like radiography. Just dont know. What should i do? i needa apply for uni next year and i still dont know what i should do? what do u reckon? any advices? btw which uni did u go and are u happy with ur job?
Reply 12
Original post by FXX
Subscribing! Radiographer here, any questions about the job/course (though can't tell you much about specific universities as I only went to one :wink: ) feel free to ask.

Hello.. omg!! now its more than nice to have some radiographer here. :biggrin: Basically i intented to do diagnostic radiography and i had even been for a work shadowing in a hospital but i realised that it was a complete different story there from what i googled. I found out that it's just so hard to get radiography jobs and even more harder to get jobs around local area and i am the person who dont likes to be away from home and i dont wanna end up jobless after graduating. Also, one of my relative is a radiography graduate but still no job on hands and so is doing her masters coz she couldnt find any job. So im worried and now i am 98% there to leave radiography and probably look into nursing but i like radiography. Just dont know. What should i do? i needa apply for uni next year and i still dont know what i should do? what do u reckon? any advices? btw which uni did u go and are u happy with ur job?

Heyya. The statistics say that 90% of graduates get jobs within six months of qualifying, which out of my class from uni, is pretty accurate, but the job market is quite bleak if you aren't willing to move away. The jobs are out there though, and if you make a good impression while out on placement, there will be a job waiting for you at the end of the course as all departments would rather stick to what they know rather than risk employing an unknown entity. If my maths is right you wouldn't be qualifying for four or five years, by which time the job market could be quite different.

My advice is if you enjoy radiography, go for radiography. Nursing and radiography are very different roles and if your heart is set on one, you'll be doomed to failure in another and will end up wasting time at uni & racking up debts for no reason. Good radiographers shine through and you will easily find a job if you impress.

I went to Canterbury Christ Church and love my job. Within 8 months of starting work I was CT trained, I am due to be trained in interventional radiology and within the next year/18 months I should be getting into MRI as well. There are plenty of opportunities to earn extra money by doing on call and other extra work too. I've been quite lucky in some respects but the opportunities are open to anyone willing to take them and after you've got your foot in the door, it's a career for life.
Reply 13
Heyy am planning on doing diagnostic radiography as well. Am situated in the north so hoping to go to the universities up north considering

Leeds , Liverpool, Sheffield Hallam, Cumbria, Salford and Bradford for sept 2014

anyone else?
Reply 14
Original post by FXX
Heyya. The statistics say that 90% of graduates get jobs within six months of qualifying, which out of my class from uni, is pretty accurate, but the job market is quite bleak if you aren't willing to move away. The jobs are out there though, and if you make a good impression while out on placement, there will be a job waiting for you at the end of the course as all departments would rather stick to what they know rather than risk employing an unknown entity. If my maths is right you wouldn't be qualifying for four or five years, by which time the job market could be quite different.

My advice is if you enjoy radiography, go for radiography. Nursing and radiography are very different roles and if your heart is set on one, you'll be doomed to failure in another and will end up wasting time at uni & racking up debts for no reason. Good radiographers shine through and you will easily find a job if you impress.

I went to Canterbury Christ Church and love my job. Within 8 months of starting work I was CT trained, I am due to be trained in interventional radiology and within the next year/18 months I should be getting into MRI as well. There are plenty of opportunities to earn extra money by doing on call and other extra work too. I've been quite lucky in some respects but the opportunities are open to anyone willing to take them and after you've got your foot in the door, it's a career for life.

how difficult do you believe it would be in say 5 years? Do you think there will be too many qualified radiographers and not enough jobs?
Reply 15
Original post by Becky
how difficult do you believe it would be in say 5 years? Do you think there will be too many qualified radiographers and not enough jobs?

Impossible to tell. The radiography workforce is an ageing one with a lot of people near retirement age, but there are a lot of people qualifying every year. Then again, demand for radiology services will only ever increase. The situation this year is more promising than last year though. And if you compare it to most other degrees, 90% employment rate within six months is pretty good - most graduates end up working behind a bar or something.
Reply 16
Original post by FXX

hmm sounds good.. I think radiography is what i wanna do. So i think i should probably stick to radiography but i am taking a gap year. So what do you reckon i can do during my gap year that will improve my ooppurtunities to get good unis? Btw i have a part time job already. So do u think it wouldnt matter if i just continue with my job or some other different jobs at retails?
Also how long did it take you to find job?
Thanks for ur time. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
I am thinking about become a diagnostic radiographer, however, i did not do any science A levels, i do German, Sociology, Psychology, Gov and Pol and French, hoping to get A*A*B A A*. I really need help from people about what way of going about becoming a radiographer, and i do not want to stay on and do another year at college.

Thank you
Reply 18
Original post by XavDol
I am thinking about become a diagnostic radiographer, however, i did not do any science A levels, i do German, Sociology, Psychology, Gov and Pol and French, hoping to get A*A*B A A*. I really need help from people about what way of going about becoming a radiographer, and i do not want to stay on and do another year at college.

Thank you

Did you not check the entry requirements on UCAS. I am not sure but i think all the unis had asked for at least 1 science subject though better check out once
http://search.ucas.com/course/entryrequirements/21621/radiography-diagnostic-imaging?flt4=2013&Query=radiography&Vac=1&page=1&providerids=525&ret=results#coursedetailsmenu

Now the UCAS page has been modified. So its not very clear as it was on the last months but it will help if u check on UCAS.
Original post by XavDol

Thank you

I'm due to start uni for Diagnostic Radiography this September, and a lot of unis state that a science A Level would be advantageous but isn't actually needed to get in. I have a biology A Level but I know some also accept Psychology as a science, or don't require one at all (that was this year though so might have changed for some unis).
If Radiography is what you really want to do then order a few prospectuses from different unis and read their entry requirements or phone admissions if you're still unsure.

Quick Reply

Latest