The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Economics Bsc

hi

i was wondering how many essays are set each term?
Reply 1
Original post by TPJY
hi

i was wondering how many essays are set each term?

Why don't you actually go on the LSE website and look at the course modules? It'll tell you, you idiot.

In the first year you do Econ B, maths (MA100), stats (ST100) and an outside option. You have no essays for any of the three compulsory courses. For Econ B you'll have two problem sets to do each term (one in week 5 and one in week 8), same with MA100 and ST100. Ontop of that you'll have weekly homeworks for each class. The only essays you might end up doing depends on which module you choose for your option.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by hockeyjoe
Why don't you actually go on the LSE website and look at the course modules? It'll tell you, you idiot.

In the first year you do Econ B, maths (MA100), stats (ST100) and an outside option. You have no essays for any of the three compulsory courses. For Econ B you'll have two problem sets to do each term (one in week 5 and one in week 8), same with MA100 and ST100. Ontop of that you'll have weekly homeworks for each class. The only essays you might end up doing depends on which module you choose for your option.

Lol, that's a bit harsh.

he's correct, no essays are necessary apart for the LSE 100 formatives.
Reply 3
Original post by Melikeyflute
Lol, that's a bit harsh.

he's correct, no essays are necessary apart for the LSE 100 formatives.

so are the problems more meaty than the weekly homeworks? are they more like projects?
Original post by TPJY
so are the problems more meaty than the weekly homeworks? are they more like projects?

We only have problem sets for Econ B and no, they are not like projects. The weekly exercise consists of a multiple choice 'quiz' which lasts about 10 minutes so I guess it is more 'meaty'. I heard the EC102 this year is much easier than last year though so maybe you needn't worry about it too much.
Reply 5
We only have problem sets for Econ B and no, they are not like projects. The weekly exercise consists of a multiple choice 'quiz' which lasts about 10 minutes so I guess it is more 'meaty'. I heard the EC102 this year is much easier than last year though so maybe you needn't worry about it too much.

multiple choice!? :s

i kind of want more work to do :tongue: I prefer being set it, cus then I feel like im being worked hard, otherwise if there isn't any homework i doubt id have enough initiative to find more work on my own :s
Original post by TPJY
multiple choice!? :s

i kind of want more work to do :tongue: I prefer being set it, cus then I feel like im being worked hard, otherwise if there isn't any homework i doubt id have enough initiative to find more work on my own :s

This is how you feel for the first 7 weeks then when you can't understand the lectures you start to think, I wish I had gone to Birmingham university instead (oj lol, but not really, sorta)..
Reply 7
This is how you feel for the first 7 weeks then when you can't understand the lectures you start to think, I wish I had gone to Birmingham university instead (oj lol, but not really, sorta)..

oh rght okay ahah :P ill see how i feel before i ask for things i may regret ^_^
Reply 8
Are there any modules that are extrememly popular with L101 first years?

in terms of the 'one outside option' :tongue:

it seems to me that you can literally pick any course from the whole school?
Original post by TPJY

AC 100, MA 103, EH 101 or languages are the most popular I think. Not sure about your second question
Reply 10
AC 100, MA 103, EH 101 or languages are the most popular I think. Not sure about your second question

cheers :smile:
Original post by TPJY

You can't take any per say because some modules are geared towards second and third year students. With these modules you'll generally have a pre-requisite module that you'll have had to pass in a previous year in order to take them. This is just a rule of thumb however, for example I don't think something like Jurisprudence has any pre-requisite modules but I doubt they'd let you take that as an outside option in your first year at least. Lots of Econ students take Logic in their second year because it's seen as quite easy and can bump their mark up.
Reply 12
You can't take any per say because some modules are geared towards second and third year students. With these modules you'll generally have a pre-requisite module that you'll have had to pass in a previous year in order to take them. This is just a rule of thumb however, for example I don't think something like Jurisprudence has any pre-requisite modules but I doubt they'd let you take that as an outside option in your first year at least. Lots of Econ students take Logic in their second year because it's seen as quite easy and can bump their mark up.

i've looked at the course contents and it looks quite interesting, was thinking of taking it as my first year outside option?
Original post by TPJY
i've looked at the course contents and it looks quite interesting, was thinking of taking it as my first year outside option?

Logic? would really recommend you taking that in your second year. This is because your first year mark is the average of your best three modules (counting for 1/9 of your total mark) whereas EACH module in your second year counts for 1/9 of your total mark. So it'd make things alot easier for yourself in second year. In first year I'd really really recommend PH103, intro to philosophy
Reply 14
Logic? would really recommend you taking that in your second year. This is because your first year mark is the average of your best three modules (counting for 1/9 of your total mark) whereas EACH module in your second year counts for 1/9 of your total mark. So it'd make things alot easier for yourself in second year. In first year I'd really really recommend PH103, intro to philosophy

oh right i see! so following on from that logic ( :wink: ) why don't people take it as a third year outside option? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending