The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone know if we have to know about Grignard reagents? :smile:
Reply 2
Have you done the chem ISA yet on organics? Did the practical, haven't done the paper yet
Reply 3
Thank god there's a thread. 4 months today..already panicking as the Chemistry teaching in my school is utterly atrocious. How much have you guys learnt so far?
Reply 4
Has anyone got the january 2013 paper? :biggrin:

Original post by erniiee
Thank god there's a thread. 4 months today..already panicking as the Chemistry teaching in my school is utterly atrocious. How much have you guys learnt so far?

Only had to lessons so far, so we've just done rate equations :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by LogicGoat
Has anyone got the january 2013 paper? :biggrin:

Only had to lessons so far, so we've just done rate equations :smile:

Ah ok, we didn't do either unit in January so we've been learning since June 2012. We've only got up to Chapter 5 though, so disappointing.
Reply 6
Original post by erniiee
Ah ok, we didn't do either unit in January so we've been learning since June 2012. We've only got up to Chapter 5 though, so disappointing.

Oh, I would hate that :console: I guess you mean chapter five of the AQA Nelson Thornes book? I don't use that so mind telling me what entails? :smile:
Reply 7
Oh, I would hate that :console: I guess you mean chapter five of the AQA Nelson Thornes book? I don't use that so mind telling me what entails? :smile:

:frown: oh yes, well it's also Chapter 5 of the specification :smile: compounds with the carbonyl group and their chemistry!

Which textbook do you use? :smile:
Reply 8
Hey, also sitting this exam in june for the 1st time! just a quick suggestion, if anyone is really struggling (like i was!) and i had the nelson thornes text book and CGP revision guide... then buy the Letts revision guide! it has been absolutely amazing, makes everything really clear :smile: okay it might not have the funny jokes cgp does... but it really explains everything !! :smile: fingers crossed.... xxxxx
Reply 9
Original post by erniiee
:frown: oh yes, well it's also Chapter 5 of the specification :smile: compounds with the carbonyl group and their chemistry!

Which textbook do you use? :smile:

Oh okay, we're only on acids and bases :smile:

I don't need to use a textbook per se, the CGP guide covers everything you need to know :yep: If I had to go with a 'textbook' though, I'd go with the CGP one :biggrin:
Reply 10

I don't need to use a textbook per se, the CGP guide covers everything you need to know :yep: If I had to go with a 'textbook' though, I'd go with the CGP one :biggrin:

Oh really?! Is that what your school provide you with?
Reply 11
Original post by erniiee
Oh really?! Is that what your school provide you with?

No but the Nelson Thornes book is appalling. The writing is terrible and half the content is irrelevant :puke:

The CGP guide is brilliant since it covers everything you need to know for a top grade in a simple and concise manner (anyone who says CGP only provides enough info for a C or whatever really has no clue what they're talking about). I only used the CGP book throughout AS and I'm proud of what I got UMS-wise. I guess I'll find out in two days whether it works for A2 but I'm confident it does :wink2:

With regards to the CGP textbook, my friend has one (they also can't stand the Nelson Thornes one) and I could see why someone would get it as it explains things a bit more slowly than the guide but I wouldn't dish out another £20 when I already have the guide :biggrin:
Reply 12
No but the Nelson Thornes book is appalling. The writing is terrible and half the content is irrelevant :puke:

The CGP guide is brilliant since it covers everything you need to know for a top grade in a simple and concise manner (anyone who says CGP only provides enough info for a C or whatever really has no clue what they're talking about). I only used the CGP book throughout AS and I'm proud of what I got UMS-wise. I guess I'll find out in two days whether it works for A2 but I'm confident it does :wink2:

With regards to the CGP textbook, my friend has one (they also can't stand the Nelson Thornes one) and I could see why someone would get it as it explains things a bit more slowly than the guide but I wouldn't dish out another £20 when I already have the guide :biggrin:

Haha I agree to an extent. Some of the best resources I've found are the boardworks powerpoints..they have some great animations and if you don't have a teacher/miss a lesson they're a great way to catch up as it pretty much gives you a lesson!

Good luck for your Chem5 results. The Chem4 grade boundaries were incredibly high so I'm guessing the paper wasn't so bad!?! I'll have a look at it, thanks for uploading it. How did you manage to get hold of it so early?!
Reply 13
How do you all go about the structure determination questions? I suck at them
Reply 14
Also, if anyone has access to the jan 2013 unit 5 paper i would greatly appreciate the mark scheme
Reply 15
Resiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Definitely need to get an A* now Durham have give me an offer :tongue:
Reply 16
Suggest why ethanamide, CH3CONH2, is a weaker base than ethylamine.
Could someone explain this pls
Reply 17
Original post by popnit
Suggest why ethanamide, CH3CONH2, is a weaker base than ethylamine.
Could someone explain this pls

Because the ethyl group releases/pushes the electrons onto the attached group (amine group), increasing the electron density on the nitrogen atom and making the lone pair more available.
Reply 18
Original post by AmyLH
Because the ethyl group releases/pushes the electrons onto the attached group (amine group), increasing the electron density on the nitrogen atom and making the lone pair more available.

Kind of get that...thanks v much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, how can I access the AS version, thanks :biggrin: