The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AmyLH
Because the ethyl group releases/pushes the electrons onto the attached group (amine group), increasing the electron density on the nitrogen atom and making the lone pair more available.

So are amides basic in nature too?
Reply 21
Original post by liquid394
Hi, how can I access the AS version, thanks :biggrin:

Um you can buy it off the CGP website?
Reply 22
Original post by erniiee
So are amides basic in nature too?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the carbonyl group draws the electrons in or something along those lines? So they're not as basic as amines I think :s-smilie:
Reply 23
Original post by AmyLH
I'm not 100% sure but I think the carbonyl group draws the electrons in or something along those lines? So they're not as basic as amines I think :s-smilie:

Ah ok - but they are basic in nature?
Original post by LogicGoat
Yeah, the exam is ages away but I'm thinking it might be useful to have a thread to discuss our progress with it to help with motivation :yep:

Looks like a lot more content than CHEM5 :colondollar:

Bt, anyone whoe needs the jan 2013 paper can find the paper here and the mark scheme here :yep:

you are amazing :biggrin:
Reply 25
hey guys, i have a series of questions regarding structure determination would really appreciate any help. 1) What is a mtheylene group? 2) When absorption peaks in H n.m.r are split for example into three, a height ratio of 1:2:1 is obtained, what does this ratio actually tell us? 3) Regarding mass spectroscopy, what makes a peak more intense than another? Is it stability? If so, how do we determine stability?
Reply 26
Just done Jan 11 paper and not gonna lie, I pretty much sucked. :frown:
Reply 27
Thread's gone a bit quiet. How're you guys feeling about mechanisms? Especially having to remember all of the AS ones!
Reply 28
Original post by erniiee
Thread's gone a bit quiet. How're you guys feeling about mechanisms? Especially having to remember all of the AS ones!

I don't particularly love the mechanisms but I'm getting there. Organic synthesis is going to be hell. :afraid:
How are you getting on?
Reply 29
Original post by popnit
I don't particularly love the mechanisms but I'm getting there. Organic synthesis is going to be hell. :afraid:
How are you getting on?

Yea I'm not a fan, although it's very satisfying when you understand one! Oh lordy not looking forward to doing that in the exam :eek: I've been revising chapter 5 this easter, hopefully gonna get notes written up on 6, 7, 8 & 9 before we go back :smile: how about you?
Reply 30
Original post by erniiee
Yea I'm not a fan, although it's very satisfying when you understand one! Oh lordy not looking forward to doing that in the exam :eek: I've been revising chapter 5 this easter, hopefully gonna get notes written up on 6, 7, 8 & 9 before we go back :smile: how about you?

Yep it certainly is! Love the feeling when you get full 5 marks on nucleophilic substition :wink:
Ahh okay, well I've been recapping over acids/bases and rates etc.
I do hate buffers!
Reply 31
Original post by popnit
Yep it certainly is! Love the feeling when you get full 5 marks on nucleophilic substition :wink:
Ahh okay, well I've been recapping over acids/bases and rates etc.
I do hate buffers!

Aha :wink: those are some of the rare moments when I enjoy Chemistry :lol:

Nice! The calculations in those chapters are a bit tricky, definitely need to revise 1 & 2 as we did them back in May-November last year!

Have you covered all of the syllabus in lessons?
Reply 32
Original post by erniiee
Aha :wink: those are some of the rare moments when I enjoy Chemistry :lol:

Nice! The calculations in those chapters are a bit tricky, definitely need to revise 1 & 2 as we did them back in May-November last year!

Have you covered all of the syllabus in lessons?

Hahaha! Yeh they're bot too bad but some qs can get abit tricky. Nope we're up to amino acids and then the topics after that remain. Then mega revision. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by popnit
Hahaha! Yeh they're bot too bad but some qs can get abit tricky. Nope we're up to amino acids and then the topics after that remain. Then mega revision. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've "covered" everything except structure determination..I say "covered" because it's been taught incredibly poorly. I've had to teach myself all of the calculations from 3, and the mechanisms in 5 :/ my organic teacher is terrible!

If you don't want to run out of past papers, have a look at the questions on Alevelchemistry.co.uk and the old AQA past papers :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by erniiee
We've "covered" everything except structure determination..I say "covered" because it's been taught incredibly poorly. I've had to teach myself all of the calculations from 3, and the mechanisms in 5 :/ my organic teacher is terrible!

If you don't want to run out of past papers, have a look at the questions on Alevelchemistry.co.uk and the old AQA past papers :smile:

Oh thats a shame :/
Yep I discovered that website not so long ago, thanks for the heads up.
I'll message you privately and we could perhaps revise together? Geeky I know. :rolleyes:
Reply 35
Original post by popnit
Oh thats a shame :/
Yep I discovered that website not so long ago, thanks for the heads up.
I'll message you privately and we could perhaps revise together? Geeky I know. :rolleyes:

Yea it really is, as Chemistry is really enjoyable when you understand it!

No problem, go ahead :h:
Reply 36
Hey pls could anyone help me with the exam style qs in chapter 10 in the nelson thorne textbook. Question 3b.
Thanks
Hey guys, has anyone got any notes on the different types of calculations? Like weak acids, strong acids, bases, buffers, etc its just I get confused when to subtract sometimes, if I can find an example, I'll post it on here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Starting to like CHEM4 a bit more now we've covered everything. How're you guys finding it? And why is this thread so dead! haha
Reply 39
Original post by erniiee
Starting to like CHEM4 a bit more now we've covered everything. How're you guys finding it? And why is this thread so dead! haha

I know! Hating how quiet it is on this thread haha. Just doin our isa then got chromatography to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending