The Student Room Group

Going to pieces in exams?

How do I stop this? Until last year (AS's) I never ever had trouble with exams. But then in my January modules I did REALLY badly, but this was down to lack of revision. I fixed this issue for my summer exams and was revising from the first week in order to ensure I properly understood everything I needed too and I did. By the exam season I was getting 90% minimum in all my mocks/past papers excluding Chemistry (was averaging closer to 83% on this, just don't have such a natural affinity for Chem), but when I actually took my exams the only ones I performed in were Physics. Chemistry I got two b's and full marks in my ISA, which left me four marks off an A. Due to my shocking Physics ISA I was two marks off an A in this aswell - which isn't too much of a big deal because I'm retaking the coursework and I'll hopefully do much better. But Maths is a whole other story. Don't get me wrong, I get maths. I can do it no problem, but as soon as I get sat down in an exam I fall apart and can't do it. I don't know whether it's the time pressure or because the exam's hard, but either way, I just flunk it. Got a D in C1 (which I retook this Jan) and an E in C2, which I'll redo in June.

What can I do to stop this happening? It's really starting to interfere with my revision schedule and everything. I just took C3 today and again I panicked and I think I've made careless, silly mistakes. If I get any higher than a low to mid B I'll be amazed. Are there any tips you guys have for avoiding this? I knew my courses really well for these exams and while I know I've not done as badly as last January, I don't think I've hit my target of 3 A's... So worried that I wont get the grades I need for my Uni's.
Reply 1
This has never happened to me in an actual exam for long enough, but I have been on the verge of panic attacks in exams when it becomes apparent that I'm really not sure whether I'm right. I had it recently in a Financial Reporting exam for a qualification - if I fail the exam once and then fail the retake of the exam again just one more time, I get fired, so big pressure. I almost got to a point where I thought I had to put my hand up and ask to redo the exam when I had calmed down, but I managed to calm myself by concentrating on the parts I could do, and going back to the more difficult parts, where I made a reasonable attempt, even though I wasn't 100% sure of what I was doing. I find that once you get started on a question and get involved in it, things do start to calm down - and if it's a harder question, use the difficulty to distract you into thinking about it, rather than making you panic, if that makes sense.

As for making mistakes, preparation beforehand will reduce the fear significantly - after each mock exam or practice question I've done during Maths A Levels, in University and in my job now, I make a list of all the points where I make mistakes and find memorable ways to ensure I don't do them again, whether it's by making it into a silly joke or whatever, whatever works for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
If you get maths, then the best thing you can do is - obviously revise enough until you feel confident that you understand everything that might come up in the exam; the most important thing is (and i know this will sound obvious and lame) read the question (no, really read it) and think about whether you can see the answer in front of you, or you know for positive how to get it.

You know when they say start - try to quickly skim over the entire paper, and make a mental note of: "yep - can answer that", then start the paper for real.

When i went to university (slightly different but still an exam) i`d pick a question, work through it, then put my pencil down, put a mint in my mouth, and sit with my eyes closed for a full minute. That makes you calmer for the next challenge - and frees your mind to concentrate better.

Hope that helps a little...
Original post by arcturus7
How do I stop this? Until last year (AS's) I never ever had trouble with exams. But then in my January modules I did REALLY badly, but this was down to lack of revision. I fixed this issue for my summer exams and was revising from the first week in order to ensure I properly understood everything I needed too and I did. By the exam season I was getting 90% minimum in all my mocks/past papers excluding Chemistry (was averaging closer to 83% on this, just don't have such a natural affinity for Chem), but when I actually took my exams the only ones I performed in were Physics. Chemistry I got two b's and full marks in my ISA, which left me four marks off an A. Due to my shocking Physics ISA I was two marks off an A in this aswell - which isn't too much of a big deal because I'm retaking the coursework and I'll hopefully do much better. But Maths is a whole other story. Don't get me wrong, I get maths. I can do it no problem, but as soon as I get sat down in an exam I fall apart and can't do it. I don't know whether it's the time pressure or because the exam's hard, but either way, I just flunk it. Got a D in C1 (which I retook this Jan) and an E in C2, which I'll redo in June.

What can I do to stop this happening? It's really starting to interfere with my revision schedule and everything. I just took C3 today and again I panicked and I think I've made careless, silly mistakes. If I get any higher than a low to mid B I'll be amazed. Are there any tips you guys have for avoiding this? I knew my courses really well for these exams and while I know I've not done as badly as last January, I don't think I've hit my target of 3 A's... So worried that I wont get the grades I need for my Uni's.

I actually know exactly how you feel! I've been so prepared for maths and then i just panic in the exam! I know the work and i feel extremely prepared but i think often i'm not mentally prepared for the exams. During exams i just don't concentrate well and always make small tedious errors which amount to alot of marks - which i wouldn't normally do! I suposse my only advice would be to calm yourself and take your time. I know its easier said than done but last june i sat C1,C2,M1 and i felt extremely prepared for pure maths but dreadful for M1. My teacher was awful so had to teach myself mechanics. Anyway due to this, i felt so relaxed in the mechanics exam because we were almost expected to fail and then ended up getting an high A in the paper! Try to relax and try to do practise papers under as close to exam conditions as possible! Hope this helps! Good luck for future exams! :smile:
Reply 4
I think everyone gets some nerves u just have to be confident in yourself but to be fair todays exam was really difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

This happened to me today... last year I got 97 in C1, C2, FP1. I did C3 today and am expecting less than 70
Reply 6

You care too much, anxiety causes a freeze response and your primitive brain hijacks the intellectual part of it, so you need to not give a **** to not be scared. I do worse when I care too much. Either that or inflate confidence!
Reply 7
Original post by harrybobo12
You care too much, anxiety causes a freeze response and your primitive brain hijacks the intellectual part of it, so you need to not give a **** to not be scared. I do worse when I care too much. Either that or inflate confidence!

Love this - interesting technique. I'll try it for FP1 on Monday! :P.

Thanks for this guys - going to start;

Reading the entire paper before I start,
Writing down EXACTLY what I need to find and do,
Switching off and just having a minute to myself after each question - collect my thoughts a bit more.

We'll see how it works on Monday ''/
Reply 8
Love this - interesting technique. I'll try it for FP1 on Monday! :P.

Thanks for this guys - going to start;

Reading the entire paper before I start,
Writing down EXACTLY what I need to find and do,
Switching off and just having a minute to myself after each question - collect my thoughts a bit more.

We'll see how it works on Monday ''/

For example if there are 10 questions, you will spend a minute after each question collecting your thoughts = 10 minutes of time (may not be a wise thing to do)
However, writing down exactly what you need to do and skimming through the paper is a good idea.

Nonetheless taking those 10 minutes of time to recollect your thoughts may work in your favour. Good luck for your FP1 exam :smile:

P.S. I also have an FP1 exam on monday :tongue:
If this is a real and recurring problem then consider seeing your GP, they may be able to refer you to counselling which could help.

Hey well done in your ISA's I think they are actually pretty difficult and hard to do well in :smile: As for not falling apart in maths what you need is practise, but not just practising past papers you need to practice under strict timed conditions with no one around you've really got to mimic the test situations as best you can so you get used to working under pressure. If you do this enough times you will at least feel a bit more at ease as you will be used to working under time limits. Especially if you know your stuff well:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest