Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Arsey's C3 Edexcel 25th Jan 2013 Model Answers Thread (attached to first post)

Announcements Posted on
    • 487 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here are my model answers

The Core 3 paper wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expect some of you think it was. There were a couple of nightmare parts to questions but most of it was fairly standard and a well prepared candidate should have been able to achieve a decent mark out of 75.

Q1 Differentiation a) easy b) pretty easy - 7 marks (all okay)

Q2 Numerical methods a) easy (you don't need the bit I did in square brackets) b) easy - 8 marks (all okay)

Q3 Transforming graphs. This was a pretty easy question - 9 marks (all okay)

Q4 Trigonometry a) very easy, it is on virtually every paper b) This is pretty hard, understanding what to choose to lead to the maximum of p wasn't easy - 8 marks (4 easy, 4 hard)

Q5
    Differentiation. Pretty easy, the proof was fairly easy - 11 marks (all okay)

Q6 i) Trigonometry i) I think this will be poorly answered but it is pretty easy ii) and b) easy - 11 marks (all okay)

Q7 Algebraic fractions and differentiation. Fairly easy - 12 marks (all okay)

Q8 Differentiation a) stupidly easy b) very hard - if you got this right, well done c) reasonable - 9 marks (5 okay - 4 hard)

So I think there are 8 hard marks that anyone taking the exam will have done well to get right.

In terms of boundaries I would be guessing at

52 = 70ums
    59 = 80ums
    66 = 90ums
    73 = 100ums
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pdf C3 Jan 13 Model red.pdf (698.1 KB, 27897 views)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ARSEY
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Omg ive been waiting all morning i love arsey
    • 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    hi arsey i got 1+sin45 ?

what do u predict the grade boundaries cause everyone got 2/11 not 2 for that question
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Arsey:

Would I get all the marks? Question 6i)

(sin(22.5) + cos(22.5))^2

Now I know this is straight forward but I went about it in a completely different way:

using the half angle formula:
     cos^2(22.5) = \displaystyle\frac{cos(45)+1}{2}
     cos(22.5) = \displaystyle\sqrt{\frac{cos(45)  +1}{2}}
     sin^2(22.5) = \displaystyle\frac{1-cos(45)}{2}
     sin(22.5) = \displaystyle\sqrt{\frac{1-cos(45)}{2}}

expanding:

sin^2(22.5) + 2cos(22.5)(sin(22.5)) + cos^2(22.5)
    then I sub in all the values found and get the answer to be  1 + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} which is correct, but would I get all the marks?

I've shown every step in my working, and didn't use a calculator at all to get to the final step.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Argh for cos2theta +sintheta equals to one, i put as 2sintheta minus sintheta equals to one. NOOOOOO I lost all the marks for that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    thank you so much arsey! wanna ask, if i got 594 pounds instead of 593 for the last question, will i still get full marks?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot arsey! DDDDDD
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegummer)
    thank you so much arsey! wanna ask, if i got 594 pounds instead of 593 for the last question, will i still get full marks?
    I think you will lose 1 accuracy
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I loved that paper, found 8b and the sin22.5 one but solved them both in the final half hour so pretty sure I got at least 92%

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I completely missed the simple method for evaluating Q6a), and ended up butchering the method with a method that I am 90% sure isn’t the expected one, but also 90% sure that it’s completely valid. Would the following be awarded all of the marks?

Spoiler:
    Show

cos2\theta \equiv 1-2sin^2\theta \equiv 2cos^2\theta – 1

\rightarrow sin\theta = \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2}-\dfrac{1}{2}cos2\theta}

\rightarrow cos\theta =  \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2}cos2\theta +\dfrac{1}{2}}

\rightarrow (sin(22.5^{\circ}) +cos(22.5^{\circ}))^2 = \left(\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2}-\dfrac{1}{2}cos45^{\circ}}+ \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2}cos45^{\circ}+  \dfrac{1}{2}}\ \right)^2

= \left(\sqrt{\dfrac{2-\sqrt{2}}{4}}+ \sqrt{\dfrac{2+\sqrt{2}}{4}} \ \right)^2

= \dfrac{2-\sqrt{2}}{4} +\dfrac{2+\sqrt{2}}{4} +2\sqrt{\dfrac{2-\sqrt{2}}{4}} \sqrt{\dfrac{2+\sqrt{2}}{4}}

= 1 + 2\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{8}}

= 1+\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

= \dfrac{2+\sqrt{2}}{2}

(Note: May this be a lesson to us all to think about the question before launching into algebra.)
    • 487 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    what do u think the grade boundaries will be? I am sure majority will have got 2/11 wrong well everyone in my school got 2/11.
    what was difficult about Q2?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think this paper was hard purely because of exam cond. under pressure its sooo much more difficult to think around a problem like 8b. if it wasnt exam cond. i probably would have got it right...
    If its 59 out of 75 for an A then Ill be over the moon
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thorn0123)
    Glad I'm not the only one who completely missed the easy method for Q6.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    I completely missed the simple method for evaluating Q6a), and ended up butchering the method with a method that I am 90% sure isn’t the expected one, but also 90% sure that it’s completely valid. Would the following be awarded all of the marks?

Spoiler:
    Show

\rightarrow (sin(22.5^{\circ}) +cos(22.5^{\circ}))^2 = \left(\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2}-\dfrac{1}{2}cos45^{\circ}}+ \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{2}cos45^{\circ}+  \dfrac{1}{2}}\ \right)^2

= \dfrac{2-\sqrt{2}}{4} +\dfrac{2+\sqrt{2}}{4} +2\sqrt{\dfrac{2-\sqrt{2}}{4}} \sqrt{\dfrac{2+\sqrt{2}}{4}}

= 1+\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

= \dfrac{2+\sqrt{2}}{2}

(Note: May this be a lesson to us all to think about the question before launching into algebra.)
    haha

I done the exact same thing - I walked out the exam thinking "I must be the only person to have gotten that question, it was so hard" Then to realise it was so easy :|
    • 487 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)

Spoiler:
    Show

= 1+\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

= \dfrac{2+\sqrt{2}}{2}

Very impressive and mental in equal measures. Well done.
    • 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    No the fraction one cause I assumed R=10 we just put that into the fraction to give 2/11
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    A lot of people thought maximum therefore cos(theta - 0.92...) = 1 and subbed that in, as it's usually like that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Very impressive and mental in equal measures. Well done.
    Would we get all the marks?
    • 487 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegummer)
    if you had the correct full answers and then just rounded incorrectly you may get full marks

it must be 2 marks for differentiating, method for substituting then an answer mark
Updated: June 13, 2013
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.