The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If I've been constantly getting 97% average in every single past paper and SOLOMAN papers and I found this paper difficult in terms of getting 100% then surely the A* grade boundaries should be at 66marks. It's ridiculous the amount I've studied and ended up getting **** on by the old wrinkly edexcel team, I mean look at the previous papers they might have slightly difficult question but atleast they are answerable to attain 100ums unlike question 8b). People who got 90 ums or more in the previous years don't mean nothing. *rant over*
Hi arsey, can understand that you must ge getting a lot of questions but I was wondering if I will still get full marks for leaving 8b) as (-ln(1/2)/0.25) since it equals the same thing??
Reply 102
Can someone help me: on question 4B, i thought that the max value would occur when
10cos(theta -0.927) equal to 0 instead of -10, i found the correct value for theta and so on, will i get any method marks for this?
Original post by cooldudeman
(Originally Posted by kvohra)
Hi arsey, for question 6iib) it said that the answer obtained in part iia) is equal to 1 so the answer would be different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i really want to know aswell

They are both equal to 0, you are rearranging ii(a).
Original post by cheesewhiz
Hi arsey, can understand that you must ge getting a lot of questions but I was wondering if I will still get full marks for leaving 8b) as (-ln(1/2)/0.25) since it equals the same thing??

He said in a previous page then that's fine (as it's the same thing).
Reply 105
Original post by R4MBO
Hey Arsey for the range question i forgot to put 0<h(x) and just left the (h)<=1/root5. Also for 2c) I did not put the coordinates for the origin, how many marks do you think those would those cost me?

Can somebody please tell me
Reply 106
On Question 2) a) did we need to show that x < 6?

For some reason I just wrote x < 6 instead of proving it.

Bar the above I believe I got everything else right :biggrin:
Reply 107
Original post by thorn0123
They are both equal to 0, you are rearranging ii(a).

Oh yeah, crap there goes my A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
For 8b would they accept " - 4 ln (1/2) "? Or would it only get 3/4
Reply 109
for that maximum of P one, if I just wrote the two answers with no working would I still get full marks?
hey arsey for the 1st question i stupidly got w= 5/2...but i carried on with that number 1b.....how many marks will i drop on q1 altogether
Reply 111
Original post by Arsey
Here are my model answers

The Core 3 paper wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expect some of you think it was. There were a couple of nightmare parts to questions but most of it was fairly standard and a well prepared candidate should have been able to achieve a decent mark out of 75.

Q1 Differentiation a) easy b) pretty easy - 7 marks (all okay)

Q2 Numerical methods a) easy (you don't need the bit I did in square brackets) b) easy - 8 marks (all okay)

Q3 Transforming graphs. This was a pretty easy question - 9 marks (all okay)

Q4 Trigonometry a) very easy, it is on virtually every paper b) This is pretty hard, understanding what to choose to lead to the maximum of p wasn't easy - 8 marks (4 easy, 4 hard)

Q5
Differentiation. Pretty easy, the proof was fairly easy - 11 marks (all okay)

Q6 i) Trigonometry i) I think this will be poorly answered but it is pretty easy ii) and b) easy - 11 marks (all okay)

Q7 Algebraic fractions and differentiation. Fairly easy - 12 marks (all okay)

Q8 Differentiation a) stupidly easy b) very hard - if you got this right, well done c) reasonable - 9 marks (5 okay - 4 hard)

So I think there are 8 hard marks that anyone taking the exam will have done well to get right.

In terms of boundaries I would be guessing at

52 = 70ums
59 = 80ums
66 = 90ums
73 = 100ums

I think you got Question 8 b wrong.
Got around 65, hope thats an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually managed to get the answer to 8b) by working on it for half an hour, until I got an answer 2.67.... and then I plugged it in and it was close to the answer so I just thought it must be ln something close to 2.67... so I guessed 4ln(2) and plugged it in and I almost cried when it came to 9500 :biggrin:

But then I just realised that I got the range question wrong because I put between 0 and root5 (forgot to sub it into the h(x) to get the range but I showed all the working). And also on the trig one I was stupid and put 0,30,150,360 instead of 0,30,150,180. Also on the first question where it said put it in the form y=mx+c I may have put it as mx + y + c = 0 but I got the equation right.

How many marks total will I have lost? I'm hoping no more than 5 :frown:
for the range i got the value of x=root 5

i used the remainder therom will that be fine cause i got x+root 5 =0
ARSEY, i don't wont to pester but this has been bugging my ever since i left the exam hall. Ive complety miss read 7b where it asks to differentiate and thought it said to find h^-1 (x). After a page work of working a didnt get an answer and went onto part c where you have to differentiate to get the answer. Iv'e then differentiated correctly and found the corret range so will that grant me full marks for both parts??? Thanks for the scheme :smile:
Original post by 02matwil
For 8b would they accept " - 4 ln (1/2) "? Or would it only get 3/4

You'd get all the marks for that, it's actually the answer you get from the equations but 4ln2 is just slightly more aesthetically pleasing :wink:
Original post by Astarplease01
If I've been constantly getting 97% average in every single past paper and SOLOMAN papers and I found this paper difficult in terms of getting 100% then surely the A* grade boundaries should be at 66marks. It's ridiculous the amount I've studied and ended up getting **** on by the old wrinkly edexcel team, I mean look at the previous papers they might have slightly difficult question but atleast they are answerable to attain 100ums unlike question 8b). People who got 90 ums or more in the previous years don't mean nothing. *rant over*

8b) was a perfectly answerable question, but one that was supposed to challenge the vast majority of candidates. If an exam is filled with questions that anyone is capable of doing then it's a pretty bad exam.

Also, double negative. :tongue:
Original post by Dragonrage973
I actually managed to get the answer to 8b) by working on it for half an hour, until I got an answer 2.67.... and then I plugged it in and it was close to the answer so I just thought it must be ln something close to 2.67... so I guessed 4ln(2) and plugged it in and I almost cried when it came to 9500 :biggrin:

But then I just realised that I got the range question wrong because I put between 0 and root5 (forgot to sub it into the h(x) to get the range but I showed all the working). And also on the trig one I was stupid and put 0,30,150,360 instead of 0,30,150,180. Also on the first question where it said put it in the form y=mx+c I may have put it as mx + y + c = 0 but I got the equation right.

How many marks total will I have lost? I'm hoping no more than 5 :frown:

you sure know your ln's
Original post by Better
I think you got Question 8 b wrong.

He didn't - plug 4ln2 into the original equation and see what the answer is.

Latest

Trending

Trending