Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

gcse aqa ISA grade boundaries

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have completed some of my isas, and was wondering what is/was the isa raw mark grade boundary for an a*? (its new spec for bio, chem and physics, and is out of 50) aqa published the grade boundaries for schools that submitted their isas last year, but i cant find the grade boundaries.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone?!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Typically, with the old ISAs it used to be 90% for a*, 80%A, 70% B

But however, as this is a new spec, and after looking at 'SINGLE SCIENCE" ISA grade boundaries, it could be 39/50 for an A*, and 43/50 was 100 UMS,

but for triple science, i think they'll have to maintain these boundaries because it is technically still the controlled assessment
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a123a)
    anyone?!!
    They change every year plus there is a new spec so nobody knows.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avor)
    Typically, with the old ISAs it used to be 90% for a*, 80%A, 70% B

But however, as this is a new spec, and after looking at 'SINGLE SCIENCE" ISA grade boundaries, it could be 39/50 for an A*, and 43/50 was 100 UMS,

but for triple science, i think they'll have to maintain these boundaries because it is technically still the controlled assessment
    oh ok, but is those boundaries a guess or actually the real one, cause u said it 'was'. 39 seems reasonable as the isas were quite hard tbf

thanks for the help though,
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    They change every year plus there is a new spec so nobody knows.
    i wanted to kno the grade boundaries so i would kno what mark would get what, and even if they change, a previous grade boundary can be similar to the next years gb.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a123a)
    oh ok, but is those boundaries a guess or actually the real one, cause u said it 'was'. 39 seems reasonable as the isas were quite hard tbf

thanks for the help though,
    I was told I got 38/50 in one of my isa's and my teacher said that would be roughly a C?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd also like to know this.

I got 40/50 for my ISA, the teacher said that's either an A or an A*
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    My teacher predicted my Biology one, based on the grade boundaries for the core GCSE ISA certified last year. I got 36/50 which was an A grade (83UMS) in that ISA, and is also her prediction.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneakbo2)
    I was told I got 38/50 in one of my isa's and my teacher said that would be roughly a C?
    Are you doing single sciences? That's a much lower grade prediction than my school have predicted, and the predictions made by other schools that I know of. I got 36/50 which is predicted to be an A (83UMS).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im doing triple science, but all our ISAs are based on b2 c2 p2 if that means anything to you. I don't know if thats core science or additional or whatever. If you mean single sciences a grade in chemistry physics and biology seperately rather than core additional and further science then yea
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing or done the chemistry isa on burning fuels for energy ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGirlx)
    Is anyone doing or done the chemistry isa on burning fuels for energy ?
    We've already done that, got 38 in it
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    We've already done that, got 38 in it
    Oh well done! Can you help me on the method? Do we basically heat water by burning the fuels methanol ethanol butanol and propanol? And, when we burn them do we have to separate tables? One for mass change and one for temperature change? If not, what is the table meant to look like?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry 38/60 is higher than a C! High B or possibly an A ,

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry 38/60 is higher than a C! High B or possibly an A ,

Ahh we did it so long ago now, I think the table was the type of Alcohol, then mass of alcohol before and after. Temperature of water before and after as well. Then you work out the specific heat capacity or something?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh we did it so long ago now, I think the table was the type of Alcohol, then mass of alcohol before and after. Temperature of water before and after as well. Then you work out the specific heat capacity or something?
    Oh crap, i thought we were meant to have two separate tables so we could include repeats-.-

• 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    And oh i think you were meant to work out the energy produced using the specific heat capacity of the water?

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    the problem is beacuse it a new spec they havent got a clue though my teacher think the grade bourndaries will be lower than 90% for an A*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And oh i think you were meant to work out the energy produced using the specific heat capacity of the water?

Yeah thats the one you had to work that out then see if it supported your hypothesis.

What I did for my most recent Isa was try and write my answers in the exact same ways as the 45/50 mark exemplar paper, and just expand where he lost marks. If it isn't on the exemplar just answer them the same way. www.sciencelab.org.uk/support/exemplars.php

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2013
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.