The Student Room Group

Entry Requirements question!

Hi! I'm currently in Year 12 and looking at Universities and their entry requirements. I want to study Business and some universities that I've been looking at require a GCSE grade B in English Language however I only received a C, will this hinder me from applying to those universities??? Do I still have a chance?

I'm doing
Maths
Business studies
Biology
English Literature
For AS levels.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
yes, it will hinder your chances if you don't have the required grade. You might still have a chance though, it depends how competitive it is. Does is specifically ask for GCSE english?
It depends on the uni. Some may still give you an offer, but many might reject you straight away, as a way to thin out the applicants. I would try and retake but if you really can't contact various uni's and ask them directly, it's much safer than to just apply and hope for the best :smile:
I think most of the good universities would expect at least a B in GCSE English. You may be able to retake at sixth form - ask your head of year/ lead tutor/ careers/ exams office/ whoever else may be able to help.
Look on the websites for the universities you are interested in - if they specifically require a B they should state it somewhere. However, having poor GCSEs may mean you don't get an offer even if they don't say they have any specific requirements. You could also try phoning a few admissions offices for these universities to clarify their requirements/ ask if you are likely to get an offer with your GCSEs and predicted AS grades.
Make sure you get work experience, do extra reading, and perhaps join a relevant club at college to help with the personal statement section of your UCAS application - this may sometimes help to get you an offer if you are not quite on target for their standard offer as it shows that you are really enthusiastic. Some unis also like extra-curriculars such as playing sport/ a musical instrument.
Reply 4
I would say that the entry requirements are a guide, a term I've seen a lot is "a typical offer". So speak to your university choices and discuss with them as to whether they stick to their entry requirements religiously or if there's scope for flexibility

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I think most of the good universities would expect at least a B in GCSE English. You may be able to retake at sixth form - ask your head of year/ lead tutor/ careers/ exams office/ whoever else may be able to help.
Look on the websites for the universities you are interested in - if they specifically require a B they should state it somewhere. However, having poor GCSEs may mean you don't get an offer even if they don't say they have any specific requirements. You could also try phoning a few admissions offices for these universities to clarify their requirements/ ask if you are likely to get an offer with your GCSEs and predicted AS grades.
Make sure you get work experience, do extra reading, and perhaps join a relevant club at college to help with the personal statement section of your UCAS application - this may sometimes help to get you an offer if you are not quite on target for their standard offer as it shows that you are really enthusiastic. Some unis also like extra-curriculars such as playing sport/ a musical instrument.

I am going to retake my English Language GCSE again. It is my only C grade.
I've done work experience in a retail environment and in an office.
In school I'm part of Young Enterprise and something called the 'Brilliant Club' where people who have graduated with a Phd come to school and give university type lectures/discussions. At the end we need to write an essay about our chosen topic in order to graduate from the course.
I have also done 'The Challenge' a three week summer programme.
If there are other activities inside or outside the school I would surely join just to increase my chances!

Thank you!!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bluelezah
I am going to retake my English Language GCSE again. It is my only C grade.
I've done work experience in a retail environment and in an office.
In school I'm part of Young Enterprise and something called the 'Brilliant Club' where people who have graduated with a Phd come to school and give university type lectures/discussions. At the end we need to write an essay about our chosen topic in order to graduate from the course.
I have also done 'The Challenge' a three week summer programme.
If there are other activities inside or outside the school I would surely join just to increase my chances!

Thank you!!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That work experience is probably very good, and Young Enterprise would definitely be regarded well considering you are planning on studying business. All your other activities look very good too. I would say that as long as you improve your English grade you should definitely be fine :smile:
Reply 7
Alright thank you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi! I'm currently in Year 12 and looking at Universities and their entry requirements. I want to study Business and some universities that I've been looking at require a GCSE grade B in English Language however I only received a C, will this hinder me from applying to those universities??? Do I still have a chance?

I'm doing
Maths
Business studies
Biology
English Literature
For AS levels.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I'm honest why would a C grade in english be required, given you have an AS level in English Lit this year?
Reply 9
Original post by Robbie242
If I'm honest why would a C grade in english be required, given you have an AS level in English Lit this year?

So will my AS in english literature offset my C in my gcse english language?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Business with respect to the relevance on english language is minimal, you've shown initiative by taking your english course further, assuming you do essay writing in english lit then I don't see why your English language qualification will hold you back. I got crap gcses but still aiming high. Though apply tactically, Oxford seem to be less lenient on poor gcses whilst cambridge say.

''As our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge, we do not have any hard and fast GCSE requirements: there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses. Strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for less stellar performance at GCSE.''

Though this may? or may not be relevant it is a good indicator of a leading university which sets a trend for other unis in their admissions; Oxford I'd avoid as they do want quite stellar gcse grades.

Take me for example C in lit and language gcse... want to study maths at university but I've taken history at alevel to show try mitigate the effect of my poor english grades; to an extent it will work, though it's not certain.

In short, check each unis policies or gcses, even phone them up if you want to ask about poor gcse performance with respect to good as level performance. Doing well this year makes them look more at your A-levels than your gcses.
Reply 11
Original post by Robbie242
Business with respect to the relevance on english language is minimal, you've shown initiative by taking your english course further, assuming you do essay writing in english lit then I don't see why your English language qualification will hold you back. I got crap gcses but still aiming high. Though apply tactically, Oxford seem to be less lenient on poor gcses whilst cambridge say.

''As our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge, we do not have any hard and fast GCSE requirements: there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses. Strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for less stellar performance at GCSE.''

Though this may? or may not be relevant it is a good indicator of a leading university which sets a trend for other unis in their admissions; Oxford I'd avoid as they do want quite stellar gcse grades.

Take me for example C in lit and language gcse... want to study maths at university but I've taken history at alevel to show try mitigate the effect of my poor english grades; to an extent it will work, though it's not certain.

In short, check each unis policies or gcses, even phone them up if you want to ask about poor gcse performance with respect to good as level performance. Doing well this year makes them look more at your A-levels than your gcses.

I've heard that some unis like UCL really look at GCSE grades. But i'll try my hardest to get really good A level grades that would hopefully get me into a good university. Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, not necessarily

If a university requires B in GCSE Maths and/or English then that is a requirement

An AS in Maths or English Language may do

However some universities may accept an AS in English Lit ... you should contact the ones that you are interested in and ask
Reply 13
Original post by TenOfThem
No, not necessarily

If a university requires B in GCSE Maths and/or English then that is a requirement

An AS in Maths or English Language may do

However some universities may accept an AS in English Lit ... you should contact the ones that you are interested in and ask

Should I contact the Unis i'm interested in now during year 12 or at the start of year 13/during my ucas application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should I contact the Unis i'm interested in now during year 12 or at the start of year 13/during my ucas application

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would contact them now

If you find that it is essential you could maybe sit the exam this summer
Reply 15
I'm gonna ask
But I'll really do do exam again this summer

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should definately resit the exam. The entry requirements for GCSEs are in some ways more set in stone than those at A level. If you had really good A level grades already achieved which proved you were fluent in written and spoken english, then they might waive GCSE requirements of the offer. If your offer is only going to be based on predicted grades, ideally you need to meet the GCSE grades, or they might not even look at your application.

Your extra curiculars sound really good, especially young enterprise for Business- however, universities may filter by grades first, and only look at personal statements after this stage.
Reply 17
RESIT! lol just kidding just do other things that make you look reallyyyyyy good and they might just overlook your English Grade. Like do something businessy, i have no idea I'm a science student! but, don't give up!! Good Luck!
Reply 18
Yeah, I' definitely resiting that annoying exam, i'll try my hardest to get a much better grade. Hopefully i'll also get good a level grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending