The Student Room Group

Vauxhall Astra battery and stalling issues

Hello every1,
I passed my driving test cpl of months back, and have bought a Vauxhall astra 1.4 Petrol now. It was driven to my home from the dealers with the help of a close friend.Now the problem is since I've learnt to drive in a (Toyota Yaris) diesel car which i can drive hours without stalling.
But here i find this astra (clutch control) little different.
I know a little practice will get me going. The problem is the car doesn't seem to have a strong battery so if a stall a cpl times it may well not start.
tried once :mad: so not taking a chance anymore in case it stalls in a traffic light or in the middle of the road.
I've convinced one driving instructor to assist me to drive for an hour in my car (although he can hardly help me mechanically , still sum1 sitting beside and helping with the manouver helps), But the weak battery problem will still pose a big problem if I stall or start-stop at small intervals.

I've already get the battery inspected by a nearby car mechanic and as per him the battery doesn't have serious faults , but it might need charging.
So ordered a proper car battery charger which I'll use to charge the battery to full. Do you think it is safer to drive the car after properly charging the battery (bearing in mind if I stall a few times :confused: on the way)
Reply 1
Original post by jk_daniels
Hello every1,
I passed my driving test cpl of months back, and have bought a Vauxhall astra 1.4 Petrol now. It was driven to my home from the dealers with the help of a close friend.Now the problem is since I've learnt to drive in a (Toyota Yaris) diesel car which i can drive hours without stalling.
But here i find this astra (clutch control) little different.
I know a little practice will get me going. The problem is the car doesn't seem to have a strong battery so if a stall a cpl times it may well not start.
tried once :mad: so not taking a chance anymore in case it stalls in a traffic light or in the middle of the road.
I've convinced one driving instructor to assist me to drive for an hour in my car (although he can hardly help me mechanically , still sum1 sitting beside and helping with the manouver helps), But the weak battery problem will still pose a big problem if I stall or start-stop at small intervals.

I've already get the battery inspected by a nearby car mechanic and as per him the battery doesn't have serious faults , but it might need charging.
So ordered a proper car battery charger which I'll use to charge the battery to full. Do you think it is safer to drive the car after properly charging the battery (bearing in mind if I stall a few times :confused: on the way)

You are gonna have to take it out to test that battery is working fine. I know what you mean I learned in a diesel car but now drive a petrol car which is a vauxhall Astra 1.6 it has a huge battery so I don't have that problem. When I first started driving in my car I kept stalling all the time but after a few lessons you get the hang off it just need to remember to give it a bit of gas when starting off now I hardly ever stall it. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jk_daniels

Your altenator should be doing that whilst the car is running.

If you're only getting a couple of starts out of it, it may well be the case that the battery is dieing or the altenator is on it's way out.

With regards to your other problem, put on a few more revs than you think you need before you lift your clutch and all will be well.
Reply 3
The battery charger is a waste of money.
First check the battery contacts are clean (free from white oxidization) and tight.
The same for alternator contacts.
Check all earth terminals are the free from rust and tight.
Top up cell water level if needed even in so called maintenance free.
A good run in daylight with no lights, fans, demisters etc should charge the battery if the alternator is OK.
A voltmeter across the terminals should read at least 17 volts.
If your battery seems to charge up OK but is flat the next day, the battery is goosed.
But check nothing is being left on, internal lights, radios that will drain the charge.
Winter always tests the battery. Get a new one.
Reply 4
If you're going to keep the car for any length of time, get a new battery.
They're only about £40 from halfords etc, and come with a 3-year guarantee. They'll even fit it for about £5, and check the alternator while they're at it.
You don't want to be driving around with that thought hanging over you, it'll make you lose confidence.
Plus, if you're going to be sitting around with the radio on for any length of time you risk running it flat.
A quick check of the alternator can be done yourself with a voltmeter - The battery should sit at 12.7v after being left for a few hours, and charge at 14.5v with the engine running. Any more and the battery is overcharging, any less and the alternator is knackered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending