The Student Room Group

Tommy Hilfiger chavvy?

The other day I was talking to a friend and he said something about Tommy Hilfiger being a 'chavvy' brand. I proceeded to tell him that he was wrong and that I always thought that chavvy brands were the likes of McKenzie or sports brands like Nike etc. He seems to think that all brands like Tommy Hilfiger and Polo are chavvy. Does anyone have any opinion on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope its not.
Nope it's not chavvy :smile:
Original post by rihannagirl
its DEFINATLEY not.

Get. Out.
It's quite amusing that you are debating the 'chaviness' of an item as if there is a set definition of 'chav' that allows you to determine whether you are right or wrong.
Original post by rihannagirl
its DEFINATLEY not.

I hope this is a joke
Reply 6
It's not a chav brand in my opinion,

But you will sometimes see chavs wearing it. Just like you will sometimes see them wearing RL polos/hoodies.

I don't think there are that many chav brands. I don't even think Nike/Adidas are.

It all depends on how you wear it, rather than just what you wear.

I wear Nike Air Max trainers sometimes. Adidas Originals are great too... but there is a time and a place for them.

Oh and just to add - I guess it has something to do with House of Fraser and more internet sites starting to sell the brand, hence it becoming more prevalent. I remember a few years ago, not many my age even knew what TH were about. That's changed now.

I think they market (some of) their products in a similar way to A&F etc. - at least the stuff targeting young people. They have been around for a long time and they cater for a wide variety of people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Its the opposite of chavy
It does have some clothes that are chavvy but as a whole, I don't think it is. It depends on what you buy tbh, the more obvious the label is, the more chavvier it tends to look.
I don't think it's a chavvy brand :redface:
Reply 10
Tommy Hilfigure is Chav just like Burburry!
Reply 11
People actually still wear it?
Original post by Topgun
Tommy Hilfigure is Chav just like Burburry!

That's one of the most ignorant statements i've ever heard! Surely by that definition then Ralph Lauren and Armani are also chavvy? How absurd. I think there is a clear difference between the odd chav wearing Tommy Hilfiger or Polo in order to give off the illusion that they have a lot of money and brands that are actually marketed towards chavs i.e adidas.
Reply 13
Original post by harry.evans
That's one of the most ignorant statements i've ever heard! Surely by that definition then Ralph Lauren and Armani are also chavvy? How absurd. I think there is a clear difference between the odd chav wearing Tommy Hilfiger or Polo in order to give off the illusion that they have a lot of money and brands that are actually marketed towards chavs i.e adidas.

Do you think Adidas Originals etc. are actually marketed towards chavs?

Or better yet - Y-3s?
I don't see why it would be. The look is basically the opposite of chavvy, at least the mainline.

Original post by 2ndClass
People actually still wear it?

I have a few bits of knitwear and a shirt from there that I wear a lot. It's nice.
Reply 15
I would disagree with Tommy Hilfiger being 'chavvy'. I worked at House of Fraser next to the TH department and not once did a Chav like character approach the area. I don't even think anywhere else on the high street even sells it to be honest..I could be wrong?

TH clothing is quite expensive, your looking at £185 for a plain gilet with a hood. I'm not disputing that you may see a chav like person wearing the brand though, but they aren't TH target segment!

Ralph Lauren was opposite TH and I would say the same tbh regarding the people who shopped there . But there is more brand availability, I think places like TKmaxx and more online retailers sell it. And I have seen quite a few people wear it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
Tommy hilfiger is not chavy. The reason people it is along with Ralph Lauren and Armani is because of the amount of fakes available.
This :smile:

Why are people so obsessed with chavs? It's like the worst thing you could ever be on TSR... :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by harry.evans

Correct. Funny you should choose Polo and Armani, two of the chavviest brands in the UK.
Reply 19
Original post by py0alb
Correct. Funny you should choose Polo and Armani, two of the chavviest brands in the UK.

Why do you think RL and Armani are chavvy?

Quick Reply

Latest