The Student Room Group

Tommy Hilfiger chavvy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by py0alb
Correct. Funny you should choose Polo and Armani, two of the chavviest brands in the UK.

Like I said before polo and Armani are not chavy, your whole argument on previous threads about wearing Ralph Lauren meaning all people assume you are from traveller community is frankly stereotypical and wrong. If you use your argument does that mean, that all people assume as someone is Muslim they are a terrorist?? Does it mean just because someone is Welsh, they have sex with sheep?? NO IT DOESNT, just because a minority of travellers wear Ralph Lauren does not mean everyone thinks you are a traveller for wearing it.
Reply 21
Ralph Lauren is not Chavvy! Although a lot of chav like people do wear a lot of the fake big pony polos. Which is starting to make it look Chavvy :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 22
Original post by J.Star
Why do you think RL and Armani are chavvy?

a) all brands are, by definition, chavvy. The definition of chav fashion is to visibly display the amount of money you spent on an item of clothing, or a pimped up car, or big gold jewellery. Non-chavs are neither interested in nor impressed by displays of conspicuous consumption.

b) those two brands in particular are notoriously popular with the traveller community, in as much as you will be mistaken for a member of that community if you wear those branded items. Some pubs in Cambridge, for example, specifically ban RL Polo shirts in an effort to discourage travellers from entering.
Reply 23
Original post by py0alb
Correct. Funny you should choose Polo and Armani, two of the chavviest brands in the UK.

Agreed. Doesn't get much more chav than these three.
Reply 24
Original post by daindian
Like I said before polo and Armani are not chavy, your whole argument on previous threads about wearing Ralph Lauren meaning all people assume you are from traveller community is frankly stereotypical and wrong. If you use your argument does that mean, that all people assume as someone is Muslim they are a terrorist?? Does it mean just because someone is Welsh, they have sex with sheep?? NO IT DOESNT, just because a minority of travellers wear Ralph Lauren does not mean everyone thinks you are a traveller for wearing it.

The fact that everyone thinks you are a traveller for wearing Ralph Lauren means that everyone thinks you are a traveller for wearing Ralph Lauren.

This is not a normative argument. I am not saying this is "right" or "wrong". I am simply relating the truth of the matter.

I'm sorry if you own lots of Ralph Lauren clothes, I know this isn't information you wish to hear :frown:
Original post by bryanisaac
The other day I was talking to a friend and he said something about Tommy Hilfiger being a 'chavvy' brand. I proceeded to tell him that he was wrong and that I always thought that chavvy brands were the likes of McKenzie or sports brands like Nike etc. He seems to think that all brands like Tommy Hilfiger and Polo are chavvy. Does anyone have any opinion on this?

Depends how you wear it. T-shirts with the brand name emblazoned across the front are a bit chavvy, but that goes for virtually any brand in my opinion. As for Polo, it's become popular with chavs to wear fake Polo, but if you're wearing a nice shirt I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Reply 26
Original post by py0alb
The fact that everyone thinks you are a traveller for wearing Ralph Lauren means that everyone thinks you are a traveller for wearing Ralph Lauren.

This is not a normative argument. I am not saying this is "right" or "wrong". I am simply relating the truth of the matter.

I'm sorry if you own lots of Ralph Lauren clothes, I know this isn't information you wish to hear :frown:

Its not true though you are simply stating your opnion,
Original post by py0alb
a) all brands are, by definition, chavvy. The definition of chav fashion is to visibly display the amount of money you spent on an item of clothing, or a pimped up car, or big gold jewellery. Non-chavs are neither interested in nor impressed by displays of conspicuous consumption.

You realise you're proceeding completely by fiat here, right? Many of the most middle class people I know wear polo RL. Not particularly to show anyone; it's just where they shop.
Original post by py0alb

b) those two brands in particular are notoriously popular with the traveller community, in as much as you will be mistaken for a member of that community if you wear those branded items. Some pubs in Cambridge, for example, specifically ban RL Polo shirts in an effort to discourage travellers from entering.

I think this nutshells my view.
Reply 29
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You realise you're proceeding completely by fiat here, right? Many of the most middle class people I know wear polo RL. Not particularly to show anyone; it's just where they shop.

Socioeconomically "Middle class" people can still have chavvy taste in clothing.

I know a middle class guy who drives a suped up polo with nitro injectors.

Using your logic, that is no longer chavvy because a "middle class" person does it. Which is of course, nonsense.

Of course, that is entirely incorrect. The sociological definition of "chavvy" or "stereotypical working class" taste is based around a propensity towards conspicuous consumption.
Reply 30
The bigger and more obvious the branding, the chavvier the item.
The more expensive the item, the richer the chav the item is aimed at.
Original post by py0alb
Socioeconomically "Middle class" people can still have chavvy taste in clothing.

I know a middle class guy who drives a suped up polo with nitro injectors.

Using your logic, that is no longer chavvy because a "middle class" person does it. Which is of course, nonsense.

Of course, that is entirely incorrect. The sociological definition of "chavvy" or "stereotypical working class" taste is based around a propensity towards conspicuous consumption.

I didn't say "a middle class person". I said "lots of middle class people". If it's popular amongst the middle classes you have to start questioning your definition.

I do not disagree with your assessment of the chav tendency towards showing everyone how much money they spend, but you presume that that's the only reason anyone would buy anything from polo rl. It's not.

In any event, you can't equate that with TH. TH's logos are much more discreet, and the logo even if you see it is much less of a universal symbol.
I can see where he is coming from, the brand itself isn't chavvy at all, and you will find very expensive products in both stores, where your friend might be coming from is you have all of the chavs who go to markets, I.e. Dagenham market, and buy knock off brands for a cheap price, so in a sense they are chavvy when they are fake and worn by chavs.
Reply 33
I didn't say "a middle class person". I said "lots of middle class people". If it's popular amongst the middle classes you have to start questioning your definition.

I do not disagree with your assessment of the chav tendency towards showing everyone how much money they spend, but you presume that that's the only reason anyone would buy anything from polo rl. It's not.

In any event, you can't equate that with TH. TH's logos are much more discreet, and the logo even if you see it is much less of a universal symbol.

The definition is widely accepted, extremely well defined and based on detailed empirical evidence. Just because socio-economic status is less strongly correlated with taste strata than you personally previously suspected does not invalidate it, it just means you personally need to update your definition of what you consider to be "chavvy" and "middle class".

and the extremely conspicuous Tommy Hilfiger logo - the big red and white squares - is one of the most widely known fashion label logos in the world.

You know something has reached chav icon status when it is widely replicated around the market stalls of the UK. Thanks to the notorious "Johny Brubaker" clothing line with the same big red and white squares, Tommy Hilfiger was the Ralph Lauren of the 90s. (ie every chavs favourite designer).
Reply 34
Original post by py0alb

I understand the thinking behind a) but in fairness, it's not applicable to most RL as the small pony is pretty discreet. But yeah, I can see why, for example, big pony RL and tops with Armani emblazoned across the front can be deemed 'chavvy'.

I dunno where you're from (presumably Cambridge) but in London, Ralph Lauren is definitely not synonymous with travellers in the way it apparently is in Cambridge. Also, it is likely that travellers will be wearing fake garments which are obviously worn more as a status symbol of (perceived) wealth.
Reply 35
At this rate the only 'non chavy' ' brands will be the high street stores, as every designers items can be bought on a market stall in the UK. I have also seen Debenhams Topman next and tm lewin being sold in a market stall
Reply 36
Original post by J.Star
I understand the thinking behind a) but in fairness, it's not applicable to most RL as the small pony is pretty discreet. But yeah, I can see why, for example, big pony RL and tops with Armani emblazoned across the front can be deemed 'chavvy'.

I dunno where you're from (presumably Cambridge) but in London, Ralph Lauren is definitely not synonymous with travellers in the way it apparently is in Cambridge. Also, it is likely that travellers will be wearing fake garments which are obviously worn more as a status symbol of (perceived) wealth.

Travellers are not necessarily too poor to buy real Ralph Lauren you know.

Bottom line is: if you don't think branded clothing is chavvy, then your understanding of chavvy is wrong.

Having chavvy taste is no more synonymous with actually physically being a chav as enjoying Haggis and deepfried mars bars makes you Scottish.
Original post by py0alb
The definition is widely accepted, extremely well defined and based on detailed empirical evidence. Just because socio-economic status is less strongly correlated with taste strata than you personally previously suspected does not invalidate it, it just means you personally need to update your definition of what you consider to be "chavvy" and "middle class".

No. There is no widely accepted definition; "chavvy" means many different things depending upon whom you ask. And you cannot prove one use of language 'correct' empirically.

For all I know there may well be a widely accepted definition within academia, but that's not remotely what's in issue in this thread or in basically any discussion between regular people about "chavviness".

As I've said, you're doing nothing more than proceeding by fiat on what is "chavvy" and then appealing to some vague, undefined authority to prove your statements about your very specific conception of "chavvy" right.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
No. There is no widely accepted definition; "chavvy" means many different things depending upon whom you ask. And you cannot prove one use of language 'correct' empirically.

For all I know there may well be a widely accepted definition within academia, but that's not remotely what's in issue in this thread or in basically any discussion between regular people about "chavviness".

As I've said, you're doing nothing more than proceeding by fiat on what is "chavvy" and then appealing to some vague, undefined authority to prove your statements about your very specific conception of "chavvy" right.

Apparently you disagree with the definition of "chavvy taste". Please make a counter proposal and explain why its better then. What evidence do you have for that position?
Original post by rihannagirl
i hope your moms a joke

34037953.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest