The Student Room Group

Why did I get rejected after interview by McDonald's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hyphens
I didn't come across as arrogant in the interview. I just don't see why I can't get a job there and school drop-outs with no experience at all work at the McDonald's in the city I used to live in can.

Because educational attainment beyond that it unimportant for the most part for this type of jobs.
Reply 61
Original post by Hyphens
I had an interview yesterday and I received a rejection email today. I'm in my first year at uni.

I have eleven GCSEs A*-B, three good A-Levels in academic subjects and a big part of my degree involves public interaction. I have a large amount of voluntary work experience, including supervisory experience. I arrived at the interview wearing smart clothes but not overly formal (I wore the exact same thing to all my uni interviews and didn't get rejected by any) and my appearance was clean and tidy.

I had researched McDonald's so I could answer the 'What do you know about the company?' questions properly. I answered all the interview questions fluently, drawing on my work experience. I was polite and friendly and I thought the interview went very well. I was the only applicant there.

Why have I been rejected by McDonald's? If I can't even get a job there, what hope do I have of getting anything?

It may be racial. My local shops and those usually serving are all from a particular background. I recently went to Oxford Circus and was surprised when I went to Marble Arch KFC, i foung the same thing. I got rejected from KFC and I believe it is on the basis of being female and not being of that race. Did you ask for too much money in your minimum expectation of of pay rate?

Then again I dont think I could have stood the grease. I dont even like the food. It makes me feel swishy😖:s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
I worked at McDonalds the summer after my first year at uni, with a similar educational profile to you - I think what worked in my favour was the total flexibility. I wasn't beholden to bus routes, and I had no regular commitments at home, so they could fit me in anywhere on the rota to fill gaps. Plus they had to pay me less than a 21 year old
Reply 63
I applied for McDonalds twice, and was rejected before the interview stage. It isn't the end of the world. Knew quite a few people who worked for them, and they tended to be outgoing and sociable. GCSEs and qualifications generally don't mean anything when applying for a job like that, so long as you can read and do basic numeracy.

Seeing as you are a first year student I'd suggest applying for bar work and waiting on tables. More inclined to employ students, flexible hours and high turnover of staff means positions are available more often.
Reply 64
Original post by Hyphens
I had an interview yesterday and I received a rejection email today. I'm in my first year at uni.

I have eleven GCSEs A*-B, three good A-Levels in academic subjects and a big part of my degree involves public interaction. I have a large amount of voluntary work experience, including supervisory experience. I arrived at the interview wearing smart clothes but not overly formal (I wore the exact same thing to all my uni interviews and didn't get rejected by any) and my appearance was clean and tidy.

I had researched McDonald's so I could answer the 'What do you know about the company?' questions properly. I answered all the interview questions fluently, drawing on my work experience. I was polite and friendly and I thought the interview went very well. I was the only applicant there.

Why have I been rejected by McDonald's? If I can't even get a job there, what hope do I have of getting anything?

It's obvious that you're overqualified.

They know that as soon as you find a graduate job, you're off, so they'd rather hire somebody who's less qualified and is more likely to stay with them long-term, to avoid wasting time and resources on training.
Original post by momanium
Not gonna read all the posts, but here's what I know from friends.

Apparently they dont want people who are overly qualified. When you think about it, it makes sense because (chances are) you will be depressed at the fact you are working a crappy underpaid job when you could be doing so much bother. Instead they want people who are passionate and want to move forward by using their many advancing schemes.

Lies. Yes, they want passionate people but not necessarily unqualified. I achieved 10A*- B gcses, 3As at A-level (pre A* era), achieved 2.1(69) while there. Many others were high achievers so was I not qualified enough? Clearly attitude matters.
all this overqualified stuff..

it's rubbish ( Source: McDonalds employed me for 4 years worked in retail for 14 years).

Basically, either

a) you didn't come across well enough in your interview, if its restaurant cleaning you need to be very smiley, very approachable and very confident

b) you came across as not wanting the job, or said something/answered a question inappropriately

if you have the interview, your availability/flexibility/qualifications/personality tests must have all been bob on as they dont interview everybody. McDonald's love hiring students, hence why they are the 6th best Employer in Britain, not everyone wants a career and they know this...

Ask for some feedback, but if you continue down the "Too over-qualified/they only give jobs to drop outs route in life you won't get far... remember McDonald's hires graduates too !
It's McDonald's. Why would they care that you had good grades and are articulate etc. You could probably train a chimp to flip burgers. The manager probably hired some hot girl instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending