The Student Room Group

You want to abolish the Welfare State?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
My sense of morality doesn't change depending on what would be most beneficial to me.

I would benefit if I was given £1,000,000 a day by the taxpayer - but I don't think it would be moral.

So it's immoral to help a fellow human being who is dying to afford medical care?
Reply 61
Original post by Kibalchich
Let's assume that what you say is true, that there are legions of teenage girls getting pregnant just to get housing. What would you do instead?

Limit child benefit at 2 or 3 children and do some sort of education regime.
Reply 63
Again, it can only be funded as it stands by taxation, which as I have stated I find to be immoral.

o you want no taxation no big government no social contract of any kind? Please tell me what country has done this successfully? It sounds similar to the individualism of America but even more extreme.
Reply 64
Original post by amholcroft
Limit child benefit at 2 or 3 children and do some sort of education regime.

So you would make any extra children suffer? Are you aware of the links between poverty and poor health?
Original post by tengentoppa
So it's immoral to help a fellow human being who is dying to afford medical care?

Help them if you want; there's nothing immoral in that.

But to force someone to help them is immoral to me.
Reply 66
So you would make any extra children suffer? Are you aware of the links between poverty and poor health?

I know it's not a good plan but it's the nearest I can think of, how about how these girls don't educate themselves and just become baby making machine contributing comparatively little to society.
o you want no taxation no big government no social contract of any kind? Please tell me what country has done this successfully? It sounds similar to the individualism of America but even more extreme.

Almost every society for almost all of human history.
Reply 68
I know it's not a good plan but it's the nearest I can think of, how about how these girls don't educate themselves and just become baby making machine contributing comparatively little to society.

Assuming again that what you say is true, why do you think this is? Is it all individual? Or are there social forces and influences here?
Reply 69
Almost every society for almost all of human history.

Ancient societies ran on slave labour fool, Rome gave out bread or dole, do you really know your history?
They say we're all in this together and give people who have plenty of money a tax break while taking money from people on the edge!

The top rate of tax should never have been at 50% in the first place, so the fact that it was cut is irrelevant. Infact the only reason Labour raised it just before they left office was to get this sort of reaction out of people like you when the Tories inevitably cut it. It's still higher now than it was before it was raised.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by pol pot noodles
The top rate of tax should never have been at 50% in the first place, so the fact that it was cut is irrelevant. Infact the only reason Labour raised it just before they left office was to get this sort of reaction out of people like you.

Why?
Ancient societies ran on slave labour fool, Rome gave out bread or dole, do you really know your history?

Did you miss out the word 'almost' in my post?

If you're going to cherry-pick examples contrary to it, you're not going to really address what I said.
Reply 73
Poverty has been in part eradicated by the breaking of the old aristocracy holding land. This has allowed enterprise to take hold and capitalism to boost incomes, spending and output.

Back on topic, society should be designed in a way that the individual is able to create their own dreams (I sound American), but that is the only way that we as a society can progress. However not all people are as self-interested that they aim to create their own path or to forge a new career with fantastic pay.

Therefore when either of these two sets of people fall out of luck whether it be their own faults or others, they should be supported. The support given to them should be minimal so they wish to go out and find a new job and get back to being a provider.

The argument comes though between what people believe is "minimal." I find it extremely interesting to read what everyone believes is "minimal." Personally I believe that no person should be left without a home no matter what.

The welfare states size is being cut which is a good thing. However at a time like this for the economy what is happening is with reduced employment, benefits, incomes that the economy is on a downward spiral or simply stuck in a rut. The government should take the money from the welfare system and reallocate it to infastructure spending in order to boost employment and create jobs. It should not simply throw it back to our creditors while the debt continues to grow.
Reply 74
Did you miss out the word 'almost' in my post?

If you're going to cherry-pick examples contrary to it, you're not going to really address what I said.

Are you going to address the fact these societies ran on slave labour? Or perhaps you'd like to bring slavery back?

The fact you're ignoring the most influential and successful empire in ancient European history when it goes against your philosophy is pretty foolish also.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by mark881995
Poverty has been in part eradicated by the breaking of the old aristocracy holding land. This has allowed enterprise to take hold and capitalism to boost incomes, spending and output.

Back on topic, society should be designed in a way that the individual is able to create their own dreams (I sound American), but that is the only way that we as a society can progress. However not all people are as self-interested that they aim to create their own path or to forge a new career with fantastic pay.

Therefore when either of these two sets of people fall out of luck whether it be their own faults or others, they should be supported. The support given to them should be minimal so they wish to go out and find a new job and get back to being a provider.

The argument comes though between what people believe is "minimal." I find it extremely interesting to read what everyone believes is "minimal." Personally I believe that no person should be left without a home no matter what.

The welfare states size is being cut which is a good thing. However at a time like this for the economy what is happening is with reduced employment, benefits, incomes that the economy is on a downward spiral or simply stuck in a rut. The government should take the money from the welfare system and reallocate it to infastructure spending in order to boost employment and create jobs. It should not simply throw it back to our creditors while the debt continues to grow.

Individualism, oh dear :biggrin:
Reply 76
Assuming again that what you say is true, why do you think this is? Is it all individual? Or are there social forces and influences here?

Well it's socially the done thing in some places, I just don't understand why when the pill is freely available they choose to have these kids so young I never did get it even when i was 17 asking my peers why the hell they want kids so young.
Reply 77
This isn't about getting 1,000,000 it's about the survival of people and since you don't see the point in 100% employment you're obviously anticipating mass suffering, I don't get how you can be so uncaring.

Just to point out, 100% employment is impossible.

Personally I think if you're (this bit is general & not aimed at the user I'm quoting btw) going to get up on your high horse about losing a bit of 'your' money then you're a bit of a douche. To most people affected by the top rate of tax, the amount of money they 'lose' is pretty irrelevant and would only serve to buy them a few more luxuries anyway. It's much better spent on treating people in hospitals, or giving kids the best possible start in life in school.

Yeah, there are some scrounges who need to be dealt with, but as proved earlier its a minimal amount, especially in comparison to the large proportion of big companies that are evading billions in tax. Of course these people need to be dealt with, but we shouldn't use them to label people who actually rely on the benefits system (just like we shouldn't label all rich people as tax avoiders who only care about themselves, I should add).

One of the main things the Gov should do is educate people more, especially at a younger age. There should be a bigger emphasis on debt management, how to get a mortgage etc. in school, then you wouldn't get as many people getting themselves in a mess.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 78
Well it's socially the done thing in some places, I just don't understand why when the pill is freely available they choose to have these kids so young I never did get it even when i was 17 asking my peers why the hell they want kids so young.

Have you ever read about the connection between poverty and a high birth rate?
I think it is very important for a state to support its citizens in times of need, especially in terms of medical and psychological support. Improving mental health care availability is probably one of the most important changes we should make, since trying to force people to work hasn't ever worked and is not going to work. Rather, we should work on creating programmes that make people realise the importance of their contribution to society and that show them the benefits of having an organised life and a job. Fraud should of course be punished, but I don't think that the proportion of frauds is anywhere near as high as The Sun or the Daily Mail would like their readership to think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending