The Student Room Group

You want to abolish the Welfare State?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by YMLT
Just to point out, 100% employment is impossible.

Personally I think if you're (this bit is general & not aimed at the user I'm quoting btw) going to get up on your high horse about losing a bit of 'your' money then you're a bit of a douche. To most people affected by the top rate of tax, the amount of money they 'lose' is pretty irrelevant and would only serve to buy them a few more luxuries anyway. It's much better spent on treating people in hospitals, or giving kids the best possible start in life in school.

Yeah, there are some scrounges who need to be dealt with, but as proved earlier its a minimal amount, especially in comparison to the large proportion of big companies that are evading billions in tax. Of course these people need to be dealt with, but we shouldn't use them to label people who actually rely on the benefits system (just like we shouldn't label all rich people as tax avoiders who only care about themselves, I should add).

One of the main things the Gov should do is educate people more, especially at a younger age. There should be a bigger emphasis on debt management, how to get a mortgage etc. in school, then you wouldn't get as many people getting themselves in a mess.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah I hope you're not referring to me as I'm arguing against the douche that doesn't want any taxation to help anyone else. lol
Original post by Kibalchich
Why?

It's obscene when you think about it, earn £150,000 and only see £75,000 in your bank account. Of course, what most people did when the tax rate went up was to start finding loopholes to avoid paying tax altogether or reduce the amount they pay.
Reply 82
Have you ever read about the connection between poverty and a high birth rate?

No... I have grown up with people from these families and girls who have these kids though...
Reply 83
Original post by Izzyeviel
It's obscene when you think about it, earn £150,000 and only see £75,000 in your bank account. Of course, what most people did when the tax rate went up was to start finding loopholes to avoid paying tax altogether or reduce the amount they pay.

That's not how the tax system works. The 50% tax rate only applies to what you earn over £150,000.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm
Reply 84
Original post by amholcroft
No... I have grown up with people from these families and girls who have these kids though...

Have a read on the subject then. Have a think about why this might be so.
Reply 85
I personally think the welfare state is very important, having had grown up with my mum losing her job etc & having 3 kids to look after. It helped my family crucially. However i believe that the welfare system should act as a kind of employment. I.E those who recieve it should do things that help the community i.e. Litter picking, planting in local parks , Youth clubs among many things for like 4/5 hours a day.This would deter away those that scrounge off it & encourage them to work.
Reply 86
Original post by Jibby122
I personally think the welfare state is very important, having had grown up with my mum losing her job etc & having 3 kids to look after. It helped my family crucially. However i believe that the welfare system should act as a kind of employment. I.E those who recieve it should do things that help the community i.e. Litter picking, planting in local parks , Youth clubs among many things for like 4/5 hours a day.This would deter away those that scrounge off it & encourage them to work.

Why shouldn't we call that "employment" and pay people an actual wage?
Reply 87
Have a read on the subject then. Have a think about why this might be so.

Have you ever talked to people from these backgrounds?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
Have you ever talked to people from this backgrounds?

Yes.
Reply 89

Oh dear... :tongue:

Reply 90
Yeah I hope you're not referring to me as I'm arguing against the douche that doesn't want any taxation to help anyone else. lol

Nah, the only bit in reference to you was the 100% employment bit. I get what you mean, but you'll always have people out of work so it's impossible :smile:

Reply 91
Original post by YMLT
Nah, the only bit in reference to you was the 100% employment bit. I get what you mean, but you'll always have people out of work so it's impossible :smile:

Was in reference to an earlier comment
Reply 92
I didn't say you can't call it emplyment, I guess you could.
The second defintion is more properly called "capitalism".

You could just call it capitalism, but if I said capitalism I would run the risk of being misunderstood by people who use the term capitalism to describe a market economy. For this reason, I tend to not use the term without a prefix.
Reply 94
Was in reference to an earlier comment

Sorry, thought you were the OP. My mistake :tongue:

That's not how the tax system works. The 50% tax rate only applies to what you earn over £150,000.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

Ah, thanks for that, makes sense!
Reply 96
Yes.

There's very little to gain from reading about this, historical and less developed counties' data(the most available) doesn't apply here as the contraception is readily available, the question is why coming from a poor background often means these girls think there's nothing else they can do with their lives but pop out kids.
Of cause accidents happen it's not all them choosing to have kids instead of living but there is a sizable portion that plan to have these children...Why I wonder.
Why?

Because it's counterproductive. IIRC there was a study a few years ago that concluded that the most effective top rate of tax in terms in the UK was something like 42%, anything noticeably more than that and in the long term you'll actually see a decline in revenues as investment begins to decline and tax evasion and tax avoidance increases.
Reply 98
They probably benefit from a stable state more than the rest of us.
Original post by Martyn*
The welfare state is essential. It is here to stay unless government can find a system and an environment for economic growth that creates employment for EVERYONE perpetually.

a system where every capable worker is in employment will never exist in reality, due to unavoidable frictional unemployment. if you extended your knowledge beyond wikipedia pages and armchair economics you would know this.

im not arguing against a welfare state, i'm simply saying you begin with a false premise and it undermines the rest of your argument, which btw i couldn't be bothered to read.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending