The Student Room Group

When do we apply for finance?

I have a couple of questions first is when does the application for student finance become available, it says that it is early in 2013 but when will this be exactly.

Another question I have is regarding the student finance calculator. The student finance calculator says that as a Mature Student I will be eligible for about £7300 or there about, it says I will get this in 3 installments. My worry is that while this works out at about £140 per week, I am worried that I wont be able to make the final payment that is meant to last from Easter until the new term in September last me. If I was younger then I would be able to find a part time summer job in Mc Donalds or in a shop or something, but as a 36 year I will find this near impossible. Is it possible to borrow more if you will run out of money as I will not be able to claim JSA while I am a student?

Can someone also confirm when you get your 1st payment I believe that the term starts on the 23rd September so this should be the date the first payment arrives, but do we get a bursary or something before this or is this date the earliest date we get a payment.
Applications usually open Feb/March time

No, you will not be able to borrow more, and its true that you can't get JSA as a student. £7,300 is double what many students get so you are lucky in that sense.

Its in 3 installments paid at the start of term - Term 1 is usually a week after freshers, so the first teaching week (or at least it is at my Uni)

Term 3 is usually the biggest installment, even though you have less to pay in term 3, to help cover the costs of summer. As a mature student, you would still be able to get part time work - supermarkets are very good hours, flexible and good pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending