The Student Room Group

poor pay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TaraBelle
Not or free, but that amount is a decent amount to live on and that's all I ask from a job that I have a real passion for.

Ahh, i remember when i thought like this. Wait til you've actually had to struggle for money for a while, then you'll appreciate how important your salary is.

I'd do the job for less than the current salary system, but not too much less. I certainly wouldn't go through all this training and hard work to go into a high workload job for £22k a year for the rest of my life.

I think £22k is a good enough wage when coming straight out of uni into an almost guaranteed job, especially considering you actually get a lot more than that. But it's also perfectly true that the kind of work F1s are doing deserves a lot more than some of the unskilled jobs that can get you that kind of wage. It's the career progression you're buying into ultimately.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hoonosewot
Ahh, i remember when i thought like this. Wait til you've actually had to struggle for money for a while, then you'll appreciate how important your salary is.

I'd do the job for less than the current salary system, but not too much less. I certainly wouldn't go through all this training and hard work to go into a high workload job for £22k a year for the rest of my life.

I think £22k is a good enough wage when coming straight out of uni into an almost guaranteed job, especially considering you actually get a lot more than that. But it's also perfectly true that the kind of work F1s are doing deserves a lot more than some of the unskilled jobs that can get you that kind of wage. It's the career progression you're buying into ultimately.

OP said the starting salary is quite low, and I was just saying what you did- it's a good enough start. Obviously that amount wouldn't be sufficient if you wanted to raise a family, have a good house etc but for a pretty much guaranteed job after uni I think it's pretty decent. I don't see how that equates to me having no sense of the importance of salary!
I'm gonna come right out with it
This area is very important to the majority of people. Anyone who says " money shouldn't be a factor for your decision to be a doctor" is bull****. Money is definitely an important factor when making this choice.

WHat authority do i have to say this and give these figures? i am an FY1 doctor, and i have done an unbanded and 40% banded job

so:
Unbanded, after tax and pensions, per month is £1435
40% banding after tax is £1850

These are directly from my payslips
Note: student loan repayments start in April and will be around 70 quid a month.
The above figures also include pension deductions (which if anyone is thinking of opting out, really dont, the deduction is quite tiny really, and its post tax)

The unbanded pay is terrible - every month i was worse off than before
Banded pay is good

F2 the wage goes up by around 300-400 a month - making F2 a good wage
Reply 23
Original post by nexttime
Obviously. Its an important aspect of any job.

Are you saying you'd do it for free?

Not for free but I'd settle for like £9 - £10 p/h
Reply 24
Original post by katyness
Not for free but I'd settle for like £9 - £10 p/h

Funnily enough the average hourly wage for a FY1 is about £11/hour
Reply 25
Original post by bloody_student

Assuming, of course, that you only actually work your contracted hours...
Reply 26
Original post by bloody_student

Really? I thought it was a bit lower. But erm I meant £9-£10 p/h for the rest of my life. I wouldn't mind it.
Original post by Carpediemxx
I'm gonna come right out with it
This area is very important to the majority of people. Anyone who says " money shouldn't be a factor for your decision to be a doctor" is bull****. Money is definitely an important factor when making this choice.

WHat authority do i have to say this and give these figures? i am an FY1 doctor, and i have done an unbanded and 40% banded job

so:
Unbanded, after tax and pensions, per month is £1435
40% banding after tax is £1850

These are directly from my payslips
Note: student loan repayments start in April and will be around 70 quid a month.
The above figures also include pension deductions (which if anyone is thinking of opting out, really dont, the deduction is quite tiny really, and its post tax)

The unbanded pay is terrible - every month i was worse off than before
Banded pay is good

F2 the wage goes up by around 300-400 a month - making F2 a good wage

40% banding gets you what 35k? i though it would be abou £2000 after tax?
Original post by ledleyking123
40% banding gets you what 35k? i though it would be abou £2000 after tax?

40% banding is about 30k, post tax is 1850 a month
40% banding is about 30k, post tax is 1850 a month

so is a banding system avaialbe in every single hospital because I remember a junior doc telling me once how she didn't get paid after staying late to sort one of her pts out.

Also after fy2 is done with, how much do you get for a CT1 post?
Original post by Helenia
Assuming, of course, that you only actually work your contracted hours...

£11/hr is pretty poor whichever way you look at it and working 48hrs per week is hardly great when you are doing overtime.
so is a banding system avaialbe in every single hospital because I remember a junior doc telling me once how she didn't get paid after staying late to sort one of her pts out.

Lol, don't go into medicine if you aren't prepared to stay late sometimes... the amount of times you are on your way out and a consultant comes and wants to round, or ur bleep goes off, or a patient gets unwell etc etc...

technically u can go to the rota office and claim for this, but this is not done as it creates problems in the department.

CT1 is more than FY2, the good thing about medicine is the increase in wage everyear, BUT that is only if you remain on a banding supplement. Sometimes you can do F2 and then lose several hundred pounds a month in CT1 cos ur unbanded....most jobs are banded though really.
F1 to F2 is a big jump in pay, then its only a couple of k's a year
I heard a fy1 gets paid £22k is this true, do you get more on top? I have heard of something called banding...

I mean 5 years medical school and to start on £22k is pretty avg no?

If u want money medicine is not the right career. In the US yes established doctors can get paid half a million a year $ but here we have the NHS

First year junior doc is usually 22-25k
Second year 24-28k

Petroleum engineering First year 30k Second year 35 soon ull be in the hundreds :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, don't go into medicine if you aren't prepared to stay late sometimes... the amount of times you are on your way out and a consultant comes and wants to round, or ur bleep goes off, or a patient gets unwell etc etc...

technically u can go to the rota office and claim for this, but this is not done as it creates problems in the department.

CT1 is more than FY2, the good thing about medicine is the increase in wage everyear, BUT that is only if you remain on a banding supplement. Sometimes you can do F2 and then lose several hundred pounds a month in CT1 cos ur unbanded....most jobs are banded though really.
F1 to F2 is a big jump in pay, then its only a couple of k's a year

but after fy1 is done you go onto ct1 right or is it st1....whats the starting wage fr that...
Original post by katyness
Really? I thought it was a bit lower. But erm I meant £9-£10 p/h for the rest of my life. I wouldn't mind it.

These guys got amazing GCSEs, amazing A-Level results, weeks of work experience, volunteering, preparation, loads of additional exams, 5 years of constant studying at uni doing there 3000 word essays every week. A debt of 80k after leaving uni. Constant studying after that.

I think they deserve more than £9, maybe if they did media studies ok. These guys could be doing economics or engineering at a top uni with their grades and get at least £15 in their first year alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.hospitaldr.co.uk/features/hospital-doctors-pay-scales-for-20092010

CT1 is core medical training, ST1 is core surgical training, more or less, but the pay is the same ( banding dependant)

for that level its 29k unbanded, 41k at 40% banding.

I tell you what though, the best kept secret to the public about doctor pay: locum work

Right now i have a colleague who is doing my job (the exact same job, working with me) for my annual wage in 3 months...yes thats right, almost 120k annual salary for an F1 job if she works full time (which she does) more than the consultants.

EDIT: if anyone is interested, thats £45 an hour compared to my £9 an hour. The average locum SHO level is between £35 to £40, and you can easily haggle for +£40 an hour jobs. Availbility of work? Loads of it, and if your prepared to travel a bit (expenses often paid) then unlimited work
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by radiopred
These guys got amazing GCSEs, amazing A-Level results, weeks of work experience, volunteering, preparation, loads of additional exams, 5 years of constant studying at uni doing there 3000 word essays every week. A debt of 80k after leaving uni. Constant studying after that.

I think they deserve more than £9, maybe if they did media studies ok. These guys could be doing economics or engineering at a top uni with their grades and get at least £15 in their first year alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that's why one should do it if they love it, not because of the money. There easier ways to get it, as you mentioned above.
Reply 37

Banding is available in all hospitals for all jobs whose rotas meet the banding requirements. But a lot of juniors work more than their rota'd 48 hours a week, and you don't get paid any extra for that - that's what your junior doctor friend was talking about.

Carpediemxx
http://www.hospitaldr.co.uk/features...s-for-20092010

CT1 is core medical training, ST1 is core surgical training, more or less, but the pay is the same ( banding dependant)

for that level its 29k unbanded, 41k at 40% banding.

I tell you what though, the best kept secret to the public about doctor pay: locum work

Right now i have a colleague who is doing my job (the exact same job, working with me) for my annual wage in 3 months...yes thats right, almost 120k annual salary for an F1 job if she works full time (which she does) more than the consultants.

EDIT: if anyone is interested, thats £45 an hour compared to my £9 an hour. The average locum SHO level is between £35 to £40, and you can easily haggle for +£40 an hour jobs. Availbility of work? Loads of it, and if your prepared to travel a bit (expenses often paid) then unlimited work

But rubbish career prospects.
Reply 38
Original post by TaraBelle
So what made you change your mind?

I assumed you meant 22K for the rest of your career. As you pointed out, for that you'd have very little money left after paying for the often long commutes, rent, expensive exams etc. And for that meagre wage you're working a high pressure emotionally tough job, bad hours, risk of litigation, abusive patients etc. Raising children on that with the hours would be really difficult, and at the end of the day it would just seem really unfair that people in managerial jobs or lawyers or whatever deal with so much less and get paid so much more. I would just be so tempted by the office job that i'm confident i could easily walk into and get far, far more than 22K. Do that for a bit then go travelling.

But if you meant purely starting salary, then yeah, its fine. It just needs to steadily increase to keep me in the profession!
Original post by MTW47
Under the new student loan arrangements which apply to those of us applying now, repayments dont start until you are earning £24,000 and are at a lower rate. (although obviously we will end up paying more than you due to the increase in tuition fees), but at least the bigger repayments are when a higher salary is being earned.

If you are in a banded F1 post you will start at the same time as us now, which will be very likely since almost all posts are banded

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending