Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grade A in GCSE Maths needed for Economics Degree, only got C

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im only in year 12 so the requirements for the course could be different for when I have to apply but I can't see them changing too much.

I want to apply for an Economics and Business Management Degree at Newcastle university, I reckon *touch wood* that I'll get the AAA - AAB grades required for the course, what I don't have though is an A in GCSE Maths, I actually only have a grade C. Maths was probably my worst subject at GCSE, probably not because I was really bad at it just because I hated it and never listened in class, not once.

Do you think that if I achieve all the other required grades at A-Level then I could still get in there ? It's my first choice University, had a look round and really like the place and have set my heart on it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumTheKing)
    Im only in year 12 so the requirements for the course could be different for when I have to apply but I can't see them changing too much.

I want to apply for an Economics and Business Management Degree at Newcastle university, I reckon *touch wood* that I'll get the AAA - AAB grades required for the course, what I don't have though is an A in GCSE Maths, I actually only have a grade C. Maths was probably my worst subject at GCSE, probably not because I was really bad at it just because I hated it and never listened in class, not once.

Do you think that if I achieve all the other required grades at A-Level then I could still get in there ? It's my first choice University, had a look round and really like the place and have set my heart on it.
    Firstly, Economics does include maths for which you need an understand of and you must be able to apply it. Therefore you need to like it somewhat in order to do Economics at university as you will be expected to learn some A level statistics.

Secondly, they have that requirement there for a reason so they probably won't waver it for you. I have a friend who is retaking his Maths GCSE alongside his A levels for an Accounting course. So if you feel strongly that you would like to pursue economics then this would be your best bet.

Thirdly, email the university and ask if they will consider your application based upon your intention to retake your Maths GCSE. Some universities want you to hold that grade A upon applying whilst others will include that GCSE Maths grade A on your conditional offer.

Hope this helps
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumTheKing)

I don't think they will, even if they do give you an offer they'll probably ask for an A in GCSE Maths. If you don't meet their minimum entry requirements then it gives the admissions tutor a very simple decision of rejecting you. I am told that the first thing an admissions tutor looks at is if you meet the course requirements (A-level grades/predictions, GCSEs) before even reading your personal statement.

Also, there is a reason why they ask for at least an A in GCSE Maths - it's cause Economics requires a lot of Maths! So they don't want you to struggle when you get there.

If I were you, I would either retake GCSE Maths and teach it yourself (or get a tutor or attend revision classes if your school provides them) or take up AS Maths in year 13.

Good luck .
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    From looking at the Economics degree syllabuses of various universities, I think that you're going to struggle if you don't have at least an AS level idea of mathematics. I'm aware of the fact that some uni's offer modules for those people who did not take A level maths in their economics courses, but if you have only obtained a C in GCSE I think you're going to find even that difficult. Furthermore, these courses also cater for those who failed A level maths and the fact they've failed doesn't mean they're stupid, it means they're going to have been practicing maths for 2 years while you've been doing nothing.

To anwser your question, I don't think that you having a C will be a disadvantage in terms of your application, but, if you're serious about doing economics, you're going to need to brush up on your maths. Here's a site I've been using for AS maths, it helped me get 97UMS. I suggest you use it to refine your maths: http://www.examsolutions.net/.

I hope I haven't been too harsh and if someone doesn't agree with me, tag me in the message so I can see want you think.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You wont get beyond the first glance of an Admissions Tutor without the basic qualifications required. Those requirements are there for a reason, not for fun. They know you need that level of maths aptitude to do the course.

So, if they want a higher grade GCSE than you've got, you can either retake the GCSE or think about another course - because if Economics is bound up in maths and you dont like maths or arent very good at it, is it really what you want to study every day for three whole years? Have a look at courses like Development Studies or International Relations - similar area of study but without the heavy economics content.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 29, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.