The Student Room Group

Short guy and women (long term + immediate_

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
It's perfectly evident from the links I've posted that being short is pretty much the biggest possible disadvantage when it comes to dating.

Really? More so than being a eunuch?
Probably worse to be ugly than short.

Probably worse to be fat than short.

One of the things about height is you know precisely where you "stand". Short guys know they are short. They are fully aware of this fact and understandably are not happy about it. However an ugly guy might not know they are ugly. Thus they are blissfully unaware that they are genetically unattractive.

However at least short guys get to blame their height if they don't make it with a girl. Whilst the ugly guy may well blame himself or something he did if he doesn't make it with a girl, when in reality he was just not good looking enough and thus never stood a chance.

Trying to put a legitimate positive spin on it :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Classical Liberal
Probably worse to be ugly than short.

Probably worse to be fat than short.

One of the things about height is you know precisely where you "stand". Short guys know they are short. They are fully aware of this fact and understandably are not happy about it. However an ugly guy might not know they are ugly. Thus they are blissfully unaware that they are genetically unattractive.

However at least short guys get to blame their height if they don't make it with a girl. Whilst the ugly guy may well blame himself or something he did if he doesn't make it with a girl, when in reality he was just not good looking enough and thus never stood a chance.

Trying to put a legitimate positive spin on it :wink:

The ugly one I can sort of go for, even though I don't believe my face to be overly attractive really. But the fat one is annoying except for a few people who fair enough have a disease, they can control how fat they are.
Original post by jd1997
I'm like 5' tall, and pretty much done growing as I've not grown at all in a few years now. And I feel like it affects my ability around girls because I've been told flat out I'm too short at times, which like obviously dents my self confidence massively as I'm not an overly confident guy to begin with.

Women do you require a guy to be a certain height to be attractive to you even if he has other good qualities such as a muscular body, or a good personality? Also if you have a height requirement, how tall are you?

I'm 5"5 and I prefer a guy to be taller than me just because (I know this sounds stupid) but I feel safe and protected....
I know it sounds really daft and cheesy but that's why for me....
I usually prefer it when guys are 5"9 and above
and I'm sure not everyone thinks like me and there is some really pretty girl who like you x :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
i'm 5'5 and my boyfriend is just about 5'4 he feels really insecure about his height but frankly i dont really care! :smile:
Original post by jd1997
I'm like 5' tall, and pretty much done growing as I've not grown at all in a few years now. And I feel like it affects my ability around girls because I've been told flat out I'm too short at times, which like obviously dents my self confidence massively as I'm not an overly confident guy to begin with.

Women do you require a guy to be a certain height to be attractive to you even if he has other good qualities such as a muscular body, or a good personality? Also if you have a height requirement, how tall are you?

My boyfriend is shorter than me, the only thing that would put my off dating a shorter guy is if he had a little man complex, I wouldn't date a guy who's only asset is his height, or is so lacking in personality that he needs height to make him likeable..
Original post by hihihihihi
Damn I'm only 5'7 :frown:. my dad is 5'6 and mother only 5 foot! asian ftl :frown:

5'7 isn't short. Yes, it is 2.5 inches below average, but mark that out with your hand, it is quite a small measure. Also, you are taller than a vast majority of women.

Imho, height only truly begins to affect you from 5'5 and below. I am 5'5 and I can feel the OP's pain.
Reply 87
Original post by manchesterunited15
People can't help what they find attractive. Don't have a go at them for their preferences.

I'm not, I'm just saying if someone likes for in every other aspect and then turns around and says, "but you're short so I'm not interested," I'd find it a little shallow the same way as if they said you're disabled or your hair's the wrong colour.

Seriously?

Yes. He's hardly a dwarf.
Original post by misst911
I'm not, I'm just saying if someone likes for in every other aspect and then turns around and says, "but you're short so I'm not interested," I'd find it a little shallow the same way as if they said you're disabled or your hair's the wrong colour.

But it won't be conscious most of the time... they just won't find it attractive.

Yes. He's hardly a dwarf.

No but he is smaller than almost every man and the majority of women.

I agree, i understand every one has preferences and if them being short is just another point on a long list of cons going against them then fine but if they're fine in every aspect i would find it quite shallow to reject someone just because they're short.
Original post by short_n_proud
5'7 isn't short. Yes, it is 2.5 inches below average, but mark that out with your hand, it is quite a small measure. Also, you are taller than a vast majority of women.

Imho, height only truly begins to affect you from 5'5 and below. I am 5'5 and I can feel the OP's pain.

haa your username suggests otherwise :P

you're taller than my boyfriend :P
Reply 91
But it won't be conscious most of the time... they just won't find it attractive.

No but he is smaller than almost every man and the majority of women.

Same could be said for other characteristics but those people still get someone.

What does being smaller matter though? There are especially tall girls who go out with average height guys, and therefore are taller than them.
Reply 92
Same could be said for other characteristics but those people still get someone.

What does being smaller matter though? There are especially tall girls who go out with average height guys, and therefore are taller than them.

However an issue I find is women around my height will easily find the majority of men taller so would in general see that as the norm for them and go for them and taller women would just think they're too tall for me
Reply 93
I'm 5ft 8/9 and I genuinely wouldn't date a guy below 5ft 7. Sorry :s-smilie:

But I'm sure there are plenty of women who have no height preferences.
Reply 94
Original post by jd1997
However an issue I find is women around my height will easily find the majority of men taller so would in general see that as the norm for them and go for them and taller women would just think they're too tall for me

How do you know that without asking every girl?
Reply 95
OP, I'm barely taller than you, at 5'2".

It's going to be hard - not going to lie. There will be a few who will not care about your height... but then you've got a lot of other things to filter out.
I'm 5'8, I wouldn't date anyone smaller.

My first boyfriend was when I was 17 and I was still growing pretty fast, I ended up out growing him by about 4 inches...he found it more awkward than I did, probably somewhat immasculating for him... he ended up dumping me. Ha. Seeeeee, it can happen both ways I guess!

There are so many small girls out there than there are taller.
I've also seen plenty of pictures with beautiful models and men which are generally classified as small...
You're the same height as me OP! :h: Genuinely would not make me consider you less for a second. I'd probably actually find it nice to have someone the same height as me :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by desdemonata
You're the same height as me OP! :h: Genuinely would not make me consider you less for a second. I'd probably actually find it nice to have someone the same height as me :smile:

Haha hope is restored!
Why is it people complain (rightly so as well) that "oh look another insecure asian:rolleyes:" yet when height comes up no one EVER says "oh look ANOTHER insecure short person:rolleyes:" :confused: ?

I mean this has been gone over many times yet no-one seems to complain for some reason...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending