The Student Room Group

Job without university course

im not sure what careers i can get into without attending university
i have A levels of average results and i want a course in which i can start working professionally straight after
i am considering college course but am not sure what professional jobs are available
Reply 1
There is a number of jobs you can take where you can work and gain a qualification, such as an NVQ or a diploma of some sort. Mostly in retail, customer service, as a personal fitness trainer, or the leisure and tourism industries. I know that the Victoria & Albert museum offer NVQs in various areas of cultural heritage, curating, and general museum/gallery work. All of them give 'on the job' learning, and I think a continuation of employment after getting your qualification.

Is this the kind of thing you were asking about?
Reply 2
Original post by mohsin2
im not sure what careers i can get into without attending university
i have A levels of average results and i want a course in which i can start working professionally straight after
i am considering college course but am not sure what professional jobs are available

The first question would be what sector are you looking to work in? Figure that out and then search for a qualification you could gain in that sector without going to university. :smile:

Have you thought of doing an apprenticeship?
Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to do something very specific like be a doctor, engineer or barrister or something like that then Uni is 100% required.

If you want to do something general, or you dont know what you want to do then Uni is just going to be a great fun time, but a big waste of money. You wouldnt believe the number of people I know with great degrees in unemployable subjects, or in areas they are so bored of now they dont want a job in that area.

One guy I know has a degree in sports ed, he sells Air conditioning.
Another who has a law degree drives a fork lift truck.
Girl with English degree enters orders at a engineering company.

We need to go back to Uni being for the very intelligent driven people for specific focused careers, and not a way of moving young people off the unemployed figures which was Labours policy. Especially now that Uni comes with a big life long debt.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
what would i have to do to get into an apprenticeship and what would it require me to do?
Original post by mohsin2
what would i have to do to get into an apprenticeship and what would it require me to do?

What sort of apprenticeship are you looking for? What subjects do you enjoy the most at school and what skills and interests do you have? For example, you could do an engineering apprenticeship and become an engineer (a professional job), and your apprenticeship would involve on the job training as well as time spent at college.
Reply 6
Art and design
Are there any apprenticeship involving that?
Reply 7
Original post by mohsin2
Art and design
Are there any apprenticeship involving that?

I'm sure they'll be a few. Have you tried http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/ ?

Also try applying through other websites. Totaljob.co.uk jobsite.co.uk or just a basic google search for "Art apprentice" or whatever. :smile:
Reply 8
You could get into web design & development quite easily. These employers dont care about education they care about your portfolio. You can easily learn the craft from say lynda.com. Build a couple of websites to create a portfolio and then try to get an internship and after a couple of months when youve finished your internship if your good enough they will normally taking you on a permanently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending