The Student Room Group

Civil and Environmental Engineering Interview at Cardiff

I have an interview next Wednesday for Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cardiff and was just wondering if anyone has been for one or if they know what it involves? Will they ask any like technical questions? And any hints on what to wear?! :smile:
I'm studying civ eng at Sheffield University, I didn't have an interview. But would imagine the technical questions won't be too difficult. They will probs just ask you about your maths and physics A levels. They are probably more interested in seeing how passionate you are about engineering. Give it lots of "making a difference to the world" and really think about why you are interested in it, they'll see this and you'll be fine.

As for what to wear, try to be as smart as possible to stand out from everyone else. Don't wear jeans. If you are a guy, probs trousers and a shirt. :smile:
Original post by amberj94
I have an interview next Wednesday for Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cardiff and was just wondering if anyone has been for one or if they know what it involves? Will they ask any like technical questions? And any hints on what to wear?! :smile:

Is it a full day for you?

If so then it's quite relaxed really. You'll have a tour of the buildings and around the labs, and you'll also have lunch and refreshments and I also believe there'll be an activity and the interview somewhere in between or before.

In terms of the technical question, they could ask you just to see how you go about solving a problem and how you learn really. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Berto-Civil-Eng
I'm studying civ eng at Sheffield University, I didn't have an interview. But would imagine the technical questions won't be too difficult. They will probs just ask you about your maths and physics A levels. They are probably more interested in seeing how passionate you are about engineering. Give it lots of "making a difference to the world" and really think about why you are interested in it, they'll see this and you'll be fine.

As for what to wear, try to be as smart as possible to stand out from everyone else. Don't wear jeans. If you are a guy, probs trousers and a shirt. :smile:

Aw thank you so much! How are you getting on with your course? Do you enjoy it?
Reply 4
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Is it a full day for you?

If so then it's quite relaxed really. You'll have a tour of the buildings and around the labs, and you'll also have lunch and refreshments and I also believe there'll be an activity and the interview somewhere in between or before.

In terms of the technical question, they could ask you just to see how you go about solving a problem and how you learn really. :smile:

Yeah it's from 10-4, so hopefully it's pretty relaxed :smile:
I'm just freaking out in case I get something to answer and I panic and can't do it! Haha. Oh well, I'll just hope for the best..
Reply 5

I have an interview on Monday
how did it go?
Reply 6
Original post by manpan
I have an interview on Monday
how did it go?

Good luck! :smile:
Is it for Cardiff? It wasn't too bad, a really casual kind of thing, just to see if it was really the course I wanted to do and things, I got asked a question on the Severn Barrage, which I didn't really have a clue what it was at the time, but I chatted away anyway and gave some sort of answer. You do a few group activities and get a chat from one of the lecturers, it's not bad!
Reply 7
Is it for Cardiff? It wasn't too bad, a really casual kind of thing, just to see if it was really the course I wanted to do and things, I got asked a question on the Severn Barrage, which I didn't really have a clue what it was at the time, but I chatted away anyway and gave some sort of answer. You do a few group activities and get a chat from one of the lecturers, it's not bad!

Thanks! Yeah it is for Cardiff. Yeah I have no clue about the Severn Barrage either, I'm definitely gonna look that up. Was the interview very personal and how long was it? I haven't had any other interviews so I don't know what to expect but i'm looking forward to it.

Haha, no way!! Only one person would ask that! Hehehhe
Original post by manpan
Thanks! Yeah it is for Cardiff. Yeah I have no clue about the Severn Barrage either, I'm definitely gonna look that up. Was the interview very personal and how long was it? I haven't had any other interviews so I don't know what to expect but i'm looking forward to it.

I believe interviews are 15-30 mins.

The remainder of the time will be a tour, group activity and food!!

Pretty relaxing overall.

Quick Reply

Latest