The Student Room Group

Should I keep pestering the medical school?

I applied to a medical school and got pre interview rejection. They choose people for interview based on : 60% grades and 40% UKCAT. Their reason for rejecting me is because there were stronger candidates.

I got good A level grades and a moderate UKCAT score. And I know of people that got lesser grades + UKCAT than me that got interviews.

I have requested for a feedback and appeal. I did this in December last year. They said they would get back to me. I emailed them again in early January and they said the same thing again.

Should I contact them again or wait? But I fear that they might give out all their offers before looking at my request.

I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Original post by Thamesgbaski
I applied to a medical school and got pre interview rejection. They choose people for interview based on : 60% grades and 40% UKCAT. Their reason for rejecting me is because there were stronger candidates.

I got good A level grades and a moderate UKCAT score. And I know of people that got lesser grades + UKCAT than me that got interviews.

I have requested for a feedback and appeal. I did this in December last year. They said they would get back to me. I emailed them again in early January and they said the same thing again.

Should I contact them again or wait? But I fear that they might give out all their offers before looking at my request.

I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

What medical school and what are your stats? Then I can help. You could be mistaken about the way they select candidates, so need to know a few things before I help :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by J1994D
What medical school and what are your stats? Then I can help. You could be mistaken about the way they select candidates, so need to know a few things before I help :smile:

Thanks. University is Dundee. Rest of UK applicant

A levels: A*A*A*A (achieved)

UKCAT: 672.5
Thanks. University is Dundee. Rest of UK applicant

A levels: A*A*A*A (achieved)

UKCAT: 672.5

GCSE? I assume if its based on grades then gcse count? I'm gunna have a research

Reply 4
Original post by J1994D
GCSE? I assume if its based on grades then gcse count? I'm gunna have a research

Thanks. Before I applied, they sent me this message:

''Thanks for the enquiry. Our academic requirements are AAA grades at A level, all to be obtained at the same sitting. So if your A levels were obtained at the same time, we will consider an applications from you. Please find attached a paper (medfaq) which provides information to prospective applicants. The absence of GCSE qualifications is not a major concern for us here since our assessment is based on the highest qualifications gained.''
Thanks. Before I applied, they sent me this message:

''Thanks for the enquiry. Our academic requirements are AAA grades at A level, all to be obtained at the same sitting. So if your A levels were obtained at the same time, we will consider an applications from you. Please find attached a paper (medfaq) which provides information to prospective applicants. The absence of GCSE qualifications is not a major concern for us here since our assessment is based on the highest qualifications gained.''

Okay so you have no GCSEs at all?? They may have forgot about that and put each application through a computer which calculates a score, this may use gcse, hence your rejection. I saw something similar with hullyork who rejected someone because they had less than 9 (or whatever the min is) even though someone had 7 gcse and a btec which counts for 2 gcse. Person emailed and then got an interview :smile: ring, email, write a letter, do whatever you have to until they reply and remind them that you were told gcse didn't matter if you didn't have any! Correct about the way they score you and I've seen applicants with lower ukcat interviewed and I assume most of them won't have A levels as good as yours. Good luck, so yeah definitely keep pestering them!

Dundee certainly used to select based on PS as well, as when i applied there i was rejected on the basis of not mentioning enough extra-curriculars.

Just had a look at the site and it says

"From 2013 cycle information on non-academic achievements and references will not be considered until interview. " So if that means this current cycle, then yes you probably should be interviewed if you have better grades and UKCAT than other interviewees. If it means the next cycle then perhaps it only just changed.

I don't think it would hurt to ring the admissions office and explain that you know of others getting interviews with lower scores and ask why you weren't called up.

EDIT: As for the GCSE question it says:

We consider the primary qualification (A levels, Highers, Degree class etc) and also the relevant previous stage (GCSE, Standard Grades, School exit exams etc. as appropriate).

So they are taken into account, which may be why you were rejected.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by J1994D
Okay so you have no GCSEs at all?? They may have forgot about that and put each application through a computer which calculates a score, this may use gcse, hence your rejection. I saw something similar with hullyork who rejected someone because they had less than 9 (or whatever the min is) even though someone had 7 gcse and a btec which counts for 2 gcse. Person emailed and then got an interview :smile: ring, email, write a letter, do whatever you have to until they reply and remind them that you were told gcse didn't matter if you didn't have any! Correct about the way they score you and I've seen applicants with lower ukcat interviewed and I assume most of them won't have A levels as good as yours. Good luck, so yeah definitely keep pestering them!

Thanks for the advice. I will.
Reply 8
Original post by hoonosewot
Dundee certainly used to select based on PS as well, as when i applied there i was rejected on the basis of not mentioning enough extra-curriculars.

Just had a look at the site and it says

"From 2013 cycle information on non-academic achievements and references will not be considered until interview. " So if that means this current cycle, then yes you probably should be interviewed if you have better grades and UKCAT than other interviewees. If it means the next cycle then perhaps it only just changed.

I don't think it would hurt to ring the admissions office and explain that you know of others getting interviews with lower scores and ask why you weren't called up.

EDIT: As for the GCSE question it says:

We consider the primary qualification (A levels, Highers, Degree class etc) and also the relevant previous stage (GCSE, Standard Grades, School exit exams etc. as appropriate).

So they are taken into account, which may be why you were rejected.

Thanks. I doubt it is the GCSE as they told me that it won't be taken into consideration before I applied there.
Reply 9
Thanks. I doubt it is the GCSE as they told me that it won't be taken into consideration before I applied there.

I wouldn't take their word for it... when I applied last year I was a day late due to some circumstances. I called them, I wrote them and both times they said they'd consider my application nontheless. I got rejected and only to find out after the circle had already ended that it was based on my application being late.

so yeah, you might be right - it could be something else. but it might as well could be your GCSEs. keep pestering them! so you'll definitely get an answer before the circle has ended and they stopped interviewing... good luck! :smile:
I am in a similar position to you OP, Dundee also rejected me before interview and I amused for feedback, it's been more than a month now and nothing.

I emailed them the other day and they said the admissions office was busy with interviews and I should be patient

Reply 11
Original post by Shengis14
I am in a similar position to you OP, Dundee also rejected me before interview and I amused for feedback, it's been more than a month now and nothing.

I emailed them the other day and they said the admissions office was busy with interviews and I should be patient

Are you a rest of UK applicant/ re-applicant as well? Did you appeal or just asked for feedback?
Reply 12
Original post by MarinaBS
I wouldn't take their word for it... when I applied last year I was a day late due to some circumstances. I called them, I wrote them and both times they said they'd consider my application nontheless. I got rejected and only to find out after the circle had already ended that it was based on my application being late.

so yeah, you might be right - it could be something else. but it might as well could be your GCSEs. keep pestering them! so you'll definitely get an answer before the circle has ended and they stopped interviewing... good luck! :smile:

Thanks. Did you show them the email they sent to you before you applied?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending