The Student Room Group

Options post-psychology BSc...

Deleted.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
For starters, look at the BPS (British Psychological Society) website for general information about careers, education and training.

At your stage it is good to look ahead but keep yourself open to all options.
Reply 2
Just start going through your undergraduate first. You don't need to really start thinking about post-grad options until near the end of your 2nd year at least.

Firstly, you need to find a field you want to study in. You've mentioned Neuropsychology, as well as developmental, and I'm sure you will be introduced to new areas over the course of your undegraduate you might not have even heard of yet. Eventually something will click, and that's what you can study further.

Another idea might be to go on some university websites, and see the modules they offer as part of the psychology degree, then you can look up those terms (and what they will cover) on wiki, to see if that is likely to be something of interest.
Reply 3
Original post by Mycroft9

I wanted to know some of the options after this as I've looked around myself and research postgraduate opportunities seem to be few and far between and if I'm honest, nothing seems to be quite what I am looking for.

When you say 'research postgraduate opportunities', what exactly do you mean? There are loads of postgraduate neuroscience masters, both research and taught, and plenty of PhDs in every area imaginable in psychology and/or neuroscience. Unless you mean outside of universities, like in the private or industry sectors? I don't know quite as much about areas like that, but either way you'd have to do a PhD first (the masters being optional in this area though it depends on how much you'd want to depart from your undergrad).

Of course every department has their own favoured areas or approaches when it comes to research, but even then, in one department there can be a huge variety of research taking place- I'm thinking of departments such as UCL's Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, which does some pretty amazing stuff, but even smaller departments have quite a variety of things going on.

I hope this helps a bit, and apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but if so let me know what sort of thing you're looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending