The Student Room Group

Healthy Living Society

Hiya, anyone of the 'diet buddy' thread will know what I'm talking about- I am about to set up a society so here is a thread for its 'homepage'!:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yayness!! :biggrin:

Is it ready to join, like?
Reply 2
Yay! :biggrin: Knew you'd get it organised :biggrin:
Reply 3
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Whats its picture/symbol going to be???
Reply 4
Lucyj
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Whats its picture/symbol going to be???

Hopefully the apple with the tape measure :cool:

My diet went off track a bit today and I ate a packet of minstrels lol :redface: :eek:
Reply 5
Lucyvet2006
Hiya, anyone of the 'diet buddy' thread will know what I'm talking about- I am about to set up a society so here is a thread for its 'homepage'!:biggrin:

Is it on the socs page yet?
Reply 6
Vixen
Hopefully the apple with the tape measure :cool:

My diet went off track a bit today and I ate a packet of minstrels lol :redface: :eek:

ummm temptation- minsterals.

I am craving chocolate now, dam my sweet tooth :redface:
Reply 7
Lucyj
ummm temptation- minsterals.

I am craving chocolate now, dam my sweet tooth :redface:

Hehe, I havent been too bad up until today. I combat my sweet cravings by having jelly (8 calories per serving:biggrin: ) or that HiLights hot chocolate stuff (about 40 calories per cup).

But I blame revision for the minsterals fiasco...it tipped me over the edge...:p:
Reply 8
YO you have 2 much faith in me! I have filled in the 'new socs' form but not got a reply yet! I didn't get the pic of the apple/tape-measure sadly just a weird smiley sun. Don't sweat a packet of minstrels hon! Be good to hear how you're all doing tho- have been working on an 'adressing the cravings' type approach for the last few days + rapidly running through my sooo short supply of self-control. But my counsellor (god I sound American, its just a lovely hippyish lady that comes into school each week) is trying to do the same thing (not eat 'addictively) with me so she can acknowledge how hard it is + not be a hypocrite- so I feel like I can't just give up. Seems to be working fairly well though- managed to go for a run for the first time in AGES on Wednesday- was so slow it was barely above walking pace lol. Went again yesteday though + turned up the pace a bit to jogging speed, wow! Can't stop weighing myself though even though I KNOW that it doesn't help + I won't lose any weight for aaages.
Hmm sorry I hope the society gets set up I'll let u all know of course!
May I join, Lu? My belief, from a lot of personal development reading, on healthy living isn't about the common perception of diets at all. :wink:

I eat 6 small meals, run for 20 mins, do aerobics for 30 mins and sleep (hexa-)polyphasically every 24 hours.

The only way to get any healthier would be to get a colonic and transition into vegan eating via a vegetarian stage.
Reply 10
I've cut bread out from my diet to see what effect it has and it seems to be making my stomach less bloated, which I could have predicted really :rolleyes: but I was naughty tonight, my younger brother and sister have been leading me astray, throwing me little bits of their easter eggs! Oh well, a little bit won't hurt.

I've also been making the effort to drive when I go out so I can't drink, therefore no fatty alcohol calories.
Reply 11
Ron Stoppable
May I join, Lu? My belief, from a lot of personal development reading, on healthy living isn't about the common perception of diets at all. :wink:

I eat 6 small meals, run for 20 mins, do aerobics for 30 mins and sleep (hexa-)polyphasically.

The only way to get any healthier would be to get a colonic and transition into vegan eating via a vegetarian stage.

You totally can, don't think the soc is quite set up yet (sorry people I don't know how this works). Can't promise to be half as healthy as you though! I think 'little and often' is a great approach- maybe something to try when I have a bit more freedom about when + what I eat- I'm still living at home so have to eat whatever my Mum cooks for tea, which is quite a lot of calories + doesn't leave much opportunity to eat little meals throughout the day. HOw long have you been able to eat + exercise like this? I'm veggie but not for health reasons + considering being a vegan at Uni although I know the main reason I'd have for doing that is to cut out a lot of food from my diet + that isn't really a healthy approach for someone who should be trying to obsess about food LESS! You have a LOT of self-control, any tips gratefully received!
Reply 12
Aah.. Me and those lovelies Ben and Jerry. Bad.
I am not that healthy at the moment. I go through stages of trying to be super healthy like exercising and eating lots of fruit and veg. To the other extreme of being a complete slob.

When I am being healthy something I do is have a homemade smoothie in the morning for breakfast which gives me energy and sometimes fills me up until dinner.
Lucyvet2006

Can't promise to be half as healthy as you though!

I think 'little and often' is a great approach- maybe something to try when I have a bit more freedom about when + what I eat- I'm still living at home so have to eat whatever my Mum cooks for tea, which is quite a lot of calories + doesn't leave much opportunity to eat little meals throughout the day.

HOw long have you been able to eat + exercise like this?

I'm veggie but not for health reasons + considering being a vegan at Uni although I know the main reason I'd have for doing that is to cut out a lot of food from my diet + that isn't really a healthy approach for someone who should be trying to obsess about food LESS!

You have a LOT of self-control, any tips gratefully received!

1 - I bet you can! Can we get odds for this on TSR's vBookie?

2 - I know the feeling, experiment a little and see if you can convince your mum to let you handle your meals - not with weightloss results, but a really noticable increase in energy and vitality.

3 - Since the beginning of April, I read a LOT - tens of hours in total - of concepts on StevePavlina.com + FedericoPistone.com + SleepingSchedules.com as well as a few other sources. I cross-examined their information with Wikipedia before deciding to do a one day trial of each thing. Then a one week one. And I have just transitioned into a two-month trial a day ago, having got through the adaptation period of 7-10 days at the second attempt in April without much bother.

4 - You have to share your veggie cooking secrets!

5 - I don't. Really. This healthy-conscious-living lifestyle choice is not about depriving ourselves; it is about making more time and energy for embracing more of what we love.
I failed a bit today... I ate cheese.. LOTS of cheese.

However, I found some "Krisprolls" today, theyre swedish things, and they *appear* to be good. In that theyre something like 370calories per 100grams and 1.0g saturated fat (weight watchers diet.. I look at what I need to for points!) theres loads in a bag of 270g though so I'm thinking they must be a bit good... Haha, here's hoping, because theyre yummy!

Good luck everyone with your weightloss :-) I don't think mines working, and its making me want to give up because I'm just as fat as I always have been :-(
Reply 16
michelle9876
I failed a bit today... I ate cheese.. LOTS of cheese.

However, I found some "Krisprolls" today, theyre swedish things, and they *appear* to be good. In that theyre something like 370calories per 100grams and 1.0g saturated fat (weight watchers diet.. I look at what I need to for points!) theres loads in a bag of 270g though so I'm thinking they must be a bit good... Haha, here's hoping, because theyre yummy!

Good luck everyone with your weightloss :-) I don't think mines working, and its making me want to give up because I'm just as fat as I always have been :-(

As long as there not the bars off mean girls, It looks good.
Reply 17
Ron Stoppable
1 - I bet you can! Can we get odds for this on TSR's vBookie?

2 - I know the feeling, experiment a little and see if you can convince your mum to let you handle your meals - not with weightloss results, but a really noticable increase in energy and vitality.

3 - Since the beginning of April, I read a LOT - tens of hours in total - of concepts on StevePavlina.com + FedericoPistone.com + SleepingSchedules.com as well as a few other sources. I cross-examined their information with Wikipedia before deciding to do a one day trial of each thing. Then a one week one. And I have just transitioned into a two-month trial a day ago, having got through the adaptation period of 7-10 days at the second attempt in April without much bother.

4 - You have to share your veggie cooking secrets!

5 - I don't. Really. This healthy-conscious-living lifestyle choice is not about depriving ourselves; it is about making more time and energy for embracing more of what we love.

Hiya,
Mm bit of a problem with approaching my Mum about food- we really don't get on + she's SO aware I have problems with food but will make things 100 times worse if she gets involved. Only just under 2 months left of living at home + I don't want to start a campaign to be able to cook my own meals, it took a few years for her to allow me to be vegetarian! However, whatever she cooks generally ranges between 600-700 calories, which leaves me with enough to have breakfast, a small lunch + some fruit + still lose weight. Not ideal having a large amount of energy lumped at the end of the day when I don't need it but easier in the short-term than dealing with my Mum.
SO I have a bit more of a simple approach, might as well outline the few 'rules' I'm trying to stick to:
1) Eat breakfast lunch + tea
2) Don't go for more than 4 hours without eating, but similarly don't eat within 2-3 hours after each meal.
3) As little as poss alcohol (not hard cos I'm sooo skint at the mo!)

For breakfast I have special K red berries, for lunch I'll have a salad if I'm at home + can prepare it- or a sandwich/pre-prepared pasta salad at school. I might look to cut down what I eat for lunch at school but at the moment just keeping to the concept of 3 meals no bingeing is testing my willpower enough!

Already (only been doing this since Wednesday afternoon) I feel better + have next Friday as a goal until which (at least) to keep going. Been drinking a lot of diet lemonade, diet coke + coffee which I KNOW is bad for me but I'd rather live with the short term effects of caffeine, and the possibility of some kind of as yet unproven effect of aspartine than the horrible and predictable staying fat + putting on weight that makes me pretty depressed. I'm aiming to lose a stone by the time I go away in the summer (14th July).
My counsellor would kill me for saying that because i'm supposed to be looking at the CAUSE of my over-eating not making it all about weight. It kills to birds though- if I can start to overcome the need to eat and eat constantly to fill up the 'void' in my life I'll start to fill the void with more constructive things that will give me a sense of self-worth- which can only be helped by me feeling better about my body.

Be interested to see how other people are approaching having a healthy diet, what kind of things are you trying to do/not do? Anyone have a time-goal (i.e mine is next Friday) that we can try and help you towards?
Reply 18
Wow how do you get on with the sleep pattern? What do you do whilst everyone's asleep?
Reply 19
Lucyvet2006
Hiya,
Be interested to see how other people are approaching having a healthy diet, what kind of things are you trying to do/not do? Anyone have a time-goal (i.e mine is next Friday) that we can try and help you towards?

I don't have any specific goals weightwise or anything, I know I don't need to lose weight. My very general aim is to look good for starting uni.

The only bit of my body I really don't like is my stomach, it's the only part of me that seems to change, everything else stays as it should no matter what I eat.

I am testing not eating bread at the moment, haven't had any for a few days, as I generally eat quite a lot of it.

I've switched semi skimmed milk for skimmed (and now much prefer it).

I will never buy crisps/chocolate, if I would like a treat I'll have a few crisps when my brother or sister have a pack, or I'll have a bit of chocolate when they do. It stops me going crazy with cravings but means they're in control of it so I don't eat too much of it.

I follow WeightWatchers religiously. I have no clue about calorie counting but can instantly calculate the number of points in pretty much anything. This just acts as a rough guide so I can keep track of how much I've eaten.

I go to the gym a few times a week, at least 3, preferably 4. This summer I'm aiming to go more than this. I'm fine when I have nothing else to do in the day but with college I just can't be bothered with it at the end of a long day. In the holidays when I have plenty of time it just becomes part of my daily routine.

I try to snack only on fruit or veg. I do have the occasional bowl of cereal in the evening if I've not eaten that much that day and am in the mood for something a bit naughtier.

That's all I can think of really.. Oh, I drink GALLONS of water a day too.. what does everyone else do? I'm intreagued to see how differently everyone goes about things.

Quick Reply

Latest