The Student Room Group

Scly2 21st may 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onoderas
Does anyone have a full list of the perspectives we can be specifically asked on for a 20 mark or even a 12 mark question? We only covered Functionalism and Marxism (Briefly touched New Right and Postmodernism) but some people are saying they can ask you on Feminism, Interactionalism and so on?

The main topics are:

1) External factors
2) Internal factors (this includes social interactionism and labelling so you should have been taught this)
3) Ethnicity
4) Gender and educational achievement
5) Functionalism and the New Right
6) Marxism
7) Education policy

Post-modernism is briefly covered in Marxism as to do with the fordist and post-fordist production system but it is highly doubtful you'd get asked a large essay on postmodernism at AS.
Reply 21
Original post by SeanToBeWild
The main topics are:

1) External factors
2) Internal factors (this includes social interactionism and labelling so you should have been taught this)
3) Ethnicity
4) Gender and educational achievement
5) Functionalism and the New Right
6) Marxism
7) Education policy

Post-modernism is briefly covered in Marxism as to do with the fordist and post-fordist production system but it is highly doubtful you'd get asked a large essay on postmodernism at AS.

Thank you! I understand the postmodernist criticisms of Marxism but looking from this list, there's no chance at all we will get a question on Feminism? I suppose it could relate partially to gender but never heard of feminism being asked purely as a 20 mark question.
Reply 22
Resitting this an independent student having sat it 3 years ago when I was naive and didn't revise at all for it :redface: So I'm basically self-teaching it to myself :colonhash:
Thank you! I understand the postmodernist criticisms of Marxism but looking from this list, there's no chance at all we will get a question on Feminism? I suppose it could relate partially to gender but never heard of feminism being asked purely as a 20 mark question.

If a feminist question was to come up saying assess the feminist view of education, you'd have to look at the arguments for and against. Hypothetically speaking, your answer would cover the following:

- Impact of feminism e.g. the movements that got girls into education (link in social policy including WISE/GIST)
- Girl attention in the classroom - criticise sociologists such as Spender who say boys get more attention
- Bring in something on functionalism and meritocracy and that liberal feminists would see this as good as girls achieving more than boys in recent statistics

Roughly what I'd put, hope that helps. Highly doubtful we'll get asked a 20 mark feminist essay but just to be on the safe side!
Reply 24
If a feminist question was to come up saying assess the feminist view of education, you'd have to look at the arguments for and against. Hypothetically speaking, your answer would cover the following:

- Impact of feminism e.g. the movements that got girls into education (link in social policy including WISE/GIST)
- Girl attention in the classroom - criticise sociologists such as Spender who say boys get more attention
- Bring in something on functionalism and meritocracy and that liberal feminists would see this as good as girls achieving more than boys in recent statistics

Roughly what I'd put, hope that helps. Highly doubtful we'll get asked a 20 mark feminist essay but just to be on the safe side!

Thanks! I thought it would be kinda rare to get one too but we all know what AQA are like with their questions... guess you could also use Lees to support Radical with his double standards or Mac an Ghail with The Male Gaze? Just hope it doesn't come up! Thanks again and good luck with revision :smile:
Thanks! I thought it would be kinda rare to get one too but we all know what AQA are like with their questions... guess you could also use Lees to support Radical with his double standards or Mac an Ghail with The Male Gaze? Just hope it doesn't come up! Thanks again and good luck with revision :smile:

Yeah I think that would work! I heard in January there was a question about girls achieving more than boys so even then it is unlikely to come up now. Good luck to you too! :-)
What does everyone think will come up ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Im taking this one too :smile:!
I think that the 20marker in section A (if on a perspective) will be on the new right or postmodernism/postfordism, as it probably wont be on marxism or functionalism. (both from jan '13 exams).
Anyone else got some predictions?? or any help for revision? Much appreciated! oxo
Reply 28
Original post by Wizkidani
Thought I would start a tread for those who are doing the SCLY2 (Sociology unit 2) exam in summer 2013 :3 Early, I know :P I'm doing Education + Research Methods! Anyone else? :colondollar:

yes i'm doing the same exam :smile: hows ur revision going?
I think the paper will be tough after January's exam.
I think the paper will be tough after January's exam.

How u mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the January 2013 SCLY1 paper and got an A but I have to admit that is was quite restrictive and difficult.

I think gender is likely to come up on the SCLY2 paper for Education. If a question on a perspective comes up I will shoot myself.
Reply 32
I think in the research methods section there might be a 20 mark question surveys or sampling because it hasn't come up in any past paper. Any more predictions??
Original post by chrissie19913

January's paper I heard was relatively easy with a question on functionalism and some easier questions in research methods. May be wrong though.
Reply 34
Also sitting this exam! I actually find Sociology the hardest subject to revise for so I'm just making revision cards from notes I found on the internet and am mixing them up with things for the text book. Gonna try and do some past papers soon as well, how is everyone else revising for this subject?

I ended up not revising at all for my SCLY1 and ended up getting an A - Have no idea how haha xD But to be honest it was mainly commonsense. But I'm not gonna take the risk this time as now I really wanna get that overall A grade and so I'm going try and learn as much I can for this exam.

How did everyone do for SCLY1? & Any ideas from yourselves or lecturers about what might come up in this exam? :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by Shadow_Amber
I'm doing this exam aswell so scared for it.

Apparently these were the qs in Jan 2013

JAN 2013 UNIT 2 QS
Education:
2 marker on labelling
6 marker on how education can be seen as ethnocentric (can't remember the exact question)
12 on why girls are achieving better.
20 marker on Functionalism

Methods in Context: Self-completed Questionnaires OR Unstructured interviews
Methods
2 marker on definition of interview schedule
4 marker on two reason (I think) on pilot study
4 marker on 2 problems of using Official statistics
20marker on how theoretical issues are the main reason for the researchers choice of methods.

I posted those qs lol! but I'll allow you got 114/120 UMS on that paper
Original post by ikz94
I posted those qs lol! but I'll allow you got 114/120 UMS on that paper

LOOL .
Well done for the impressive score. How did you revise for this exam, especially the methods in context essay?
I'm struggling as I have bio, chem and maths as well.
Reply 37
I'm really scared for this exam :frown:
Reply 38
Original post by Shadow_Amber
LOOL .
Well done for the impressive score. How did you revise for this exam, especially the methods in context essay?
I'm struggling as I have bio, chem and maths as well.

Hey I basically condensed the sociology book on education and fpr methods I didnt make my own notes but I used a document I found online i edited it a bit and addeda few things myslef? Basically to be honest the paper was a dream and I think luck and revsion did it for me as the last thing i revsied was practical ethical and theorertical issues as for functionalism that was the first thing we elarnt so it was drilled in my brain. I did blagg in the methods in context one but I pulled out every line in the Item lol!

I'm doing family seems a bit more lengthy even though its seven topics and 1 hour I dont no how i'm giing to write 2 essay in that time
Reply 39
Hi do we have to use studies in the research section? Such as willis who used interviews and participant observation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending