Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I already know this exam is going to go badly :lol:
Reply 81
soooo many topics, soo little time.
tempted to only revise the topics that haven't come up for years
Reply 82
Original post by gloriousgloria
ok so im not an expert butttt the exam is close, don't overload your brain with massive amount of info. it will stress you out and you will give up ( well that's what happens to me :frown: ). Summarise, by putting it in your own words, make info as concise, but use like alot of trigger words. Actually read the information first before putting it on to paper. Do past papers to understand the structure but also formulate your own essays based on what hasn't come up yet. This is helping me alot with the education part. :tongue: hope that helped? GL.

That helped a lot thank you! I've been stealing a lot of revision materials from online, and I've been building on them, but not much has been going into my head until now. I plan to just go over each topic over the next couple of the days and then doing past paper questions on the topic with notes and then again without notes to check I've actually learned the information :smile: Good luck with the exam!! How did you do with Unit 1? :biggrin:
Reply 83
so who is feeling confident for this exam?? *looks around the room*
Original post by RB136444
That helped a lot thank you! I've been stealing a lot of revision materials from online, and I've been building on them, but not much has been going into my head until now. I plan to just go over each topic over the next couple of the days and then doing past paper questions on the topic with notes and then again without notes to check I've actually learned the information :smile: Good luck with the exam!! How did you do with Unit 1? :biggrin:

Your welcome!! and glad the information is sticking in. Unit one was horrible for me, I got a C, one mark away from a B, waaaa. I wrote everything I knew, without actually thinking about the questions I guess and I was less confident.
Original post by Asterisk49
Hey guys, could you summarise Willis' research for me. I know the basis of learning to learn or whatever it was about how the schools ideals were seen as feminine but I dont know the method.

Got 60/80 in jan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Paul Willis: 'Learning to Labour​' (1977). School ideals were not seen as feminine. He rejects Bowles and Gintis's view that schools brainwash pupils into passively accepting their fate. In his study of 12 working class boys he found that even though they were not docile and submissive, but rather disruptive and sexist, they still ended up doing manual jobs. The irony is that even though they saw through the myth of meritocracy, they ended up slotted into the very jobs - in terms of skill and pay - that capitalism needs. He concludes that students are active participants. Willis showed how your social class can largely determine your position in life after education.
Original post by MomtaajRahman
Paul Willis: 'Learning to Labour​' (1977). School ideals were not seen as feminine. He rejects Bowles and Gintis's view that schools brainwash pupils into passively accepting their fate. In his study of 12 working class boys he found that even though they were not docile and submissive, but rather disruptive and sexist, they still ended up doing manual jobs. The irony is that even though they saw through the myth of meritocracy, they ended up slotted into the very jobs - in terms of skill and pay - that capitalism needs. He concludes that students are active participants. Willis showed how your social class can largely determine your position in life after education.

Great :smile:

I heard he used multiple methods.

What were these in case theres a methods Q on triangulation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can Someone explain the difference between methods on context and research methods like In how to approach structure an answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im sure he used group interviews and participant observations.
They compliment each other because with group interviews you can get an in depth insight to understanding the beliefs, emotions and motives on the pps but also using participant observation (overt) he was able to witness lads behaviour for himself rather than just listening to what these lads 'say they do' which may have been affected by presence of peers (pper pressure).
Does anyone understand this male gaze thing? :s-smilie:
Does anyone understand this male gaze thing? :s-smilie:

Male gaze?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Good luck everyone! I'm so scared for this exam!!!

Can we all come up with the essay questions most likely to come up!

I think the functionalist perspective of educations and for research methods participant maybe one of the options.
Reply 92
4 days to learn 7 spider diagrams that I'm making plus research methods. Sounds do-able :ninja:
Reply 93
To anyone doing Research Methods and Education:

I've been struggling with answering the 20 marker on Research Methods, does anyone have a simple structure of how to answer them correctly and what to say? :smile:
Original post by hamidafg
Good luck everyone! I'm so scared for this exam!!!

Can we all come up with the essay questions most likely to come up!

I think the functionalist perspective of educations and for research methods participant maybe one of the options.

There hasn't been a 20 marker on gender for the education part. My teacher thinks a 20 marker on interactionist perspectivee.

Material deprivation hasn't come up as a 12 marker, or boys achievement or maxism.

Does anyone know if we could get a 20 marker on sampling, gonna cry if we do.. :s-smilie:

dw , I think its something about the way male teachers and males view girls. Going have to do some reading..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 95
Your welcome!! and glad the information is sticking in. Unit one was horrible for me, I got a C, one mark away from a B, waaaa. I wrote everything I knew, without actually thinking about the questions I guess and I was less confident.

Well that's not too bad, plus you can still get an overall A with your unit 1 grade depending on this exam! I hope it goes well for you!! :biggrin:
Reply 96
dw , I think its something about the way male teachers and males view girls. Going have to do some reading..

Just read about it, it is to do with the way males look at girls, pupils and teachers. Like the way males look girls up and down, viewing them as sexual objects/ making judgements on their appearance.

It says in the text book that the male gaze is a form of surveillance through which dominant hertrosexual masculinity is reinforced and femininity devalued.

It's in the part about gender identity :biggrin: And thanks to you I have learnt something today! :biggrin:
Reply 97
Original post by Deyesy
4 days to learn 7 spider diagrams that I'm making plus research methods. Sounds do-able :ninja:

OMG im doing the same thing hahah! good luck to us both! :P hope we pass... :cool:
Reply 98
Original post by chrissie19913
Can Someone explain the difference between methods on context and research methods like In how to approach structure an answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

methods in context is where you have to apply your knowledge from education and from research methods topics and link them together :smile: I have made notes for the methods in context section which I've attached on here hope you find it useful :smile: good luck in your exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

He used participant/non participant observation in class and in school: group discussions, unstructured interviews and diaries. This is known as 'Methodological Pluralism' but we focus on triangulation. You will only need to remember that he used participant observation and unstructured interviews.

Participant observation was used because it is an interactionist approach that focuses on the meanings pupils give to their situation and how these enable them to resist indoctrination (of meritocracy). He used unstructured group interviews to uncover the counter culture of the 'lads'. These interviews allowed the boys to talk freely in their own words about the way they viewed school, teachers and work - hence giving Willis an insight into their world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending