The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Rejection and Edinburgh IR

Hey guys, just got a rejection from St Andrews for International Relations , i have an offer from edinburgh , but was just wondering would anyone think that it would be worth it to take another year and apply again , or is edinburgh's school of politics good enough , i'm not quite sure as they gave me an offer of 3B's only ?

also anyone has any info about the foundation program in St Andrews?
Reply 1
Are you an international student? And when did you get the Edinburgh offer? Edinburghs programme is really really prestigious, they only accept 10% of applicants for IR.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
If you are even considering to re-apply next year, I would have contacted St Andrews to find out why your application was unsuccessful; whether it was the grades, the PS... and then, if you think you are able to improve whatever needs to be improved, then why not re-apply?

That said, I agree with the person above, I think Edinburgh is prestigious as well. I wouldn't re-apply unless St Andrews is the only place you really want to study.
Original post by brohoe
Hey guys, just got a rejection from St Andrews for International Relations , i have an offer from edinburgh , but was just wondering would anyone think that it would be worth it to take another year and apply again , or is edinburgh's school of politics good enough , i'm not quite sure as they gave me an offer of 3B's only ?

also anyone has any info about the foundation program in St Andrews?

There is no guarantee whatsoever that you will get into St Andrews next time.

You are not the first person rejected by your #1 choice. My advice is to simply move on, and go to Edinburgh. Edinburgh is a good school, and in the employment market, probably is not considered that much different than St Andrews.
Reply 4
Original post by Jessieaaa
Are you an international student? And when did you get the Edinburgh offer? Edinburghs programme is really really prestigious, they only accept 10% of applicants for IR.

yea thanks for the reply , i actually got an offer for Politics not International Relations for Edinburgh , is there any difference in terms of prestige you reckon?

And yea i am an international and got the offer early january
Reply 5
Original post by VildeRH
If you are even considering to re-apply next year, I would have contacted St Andrews to find out why your application was unsuccessful; whether it was the grades, the PS... and then, if you think you are able to improve whatever needs to be improved, then why not re-apply?

That said, I agree with the person above, I think Edinburgh is prestigious as well. I wouldn't re-apply unless St Andrews is the only place you really want to study.

I did actually contact their admission team couple days ago they havent replied yet , but they did send me a letter intially stating that even though i had ' very strong application ' there are more suitable students , but thanks for the reply
Reply 6
Original post by floridadad55
There is no guarantee whatsoever that you will get into St Andrews next time.

You are not the first person rejected by your #1 choice. My advice is to simply move on, and go to Edinburgh. Edinburgh is a good school, and in the employment market, probably is not considered that much different than St Andrews.

yea i actually promised myself whatever happens not to be a whiner but you know being in the whole process and all was bummed out , but anyway ofcourse ill move on , your right
Reply 7
It is silly to drop Edinburgh and re-apply.
Original post by brohoe
yea i actually promised myself whatever happens not to be a whiner but you know being in the whole process and all was bummed out , but anyway ofcourse ill move on , your right

I would say that there are probably many reasons someone might actually prefer attending Edinburgh, rather than St Andrews. Both schools, and locations, have their plusses and minuses.

You should stress the positive, and think about the fact that thousands of students would love to be in your place.

I have read posts from people in the past who have selected Edinburgh over St Andrews.
Reply 9
Original post by floridadad55
I would say that there are probably many reasons someone might actually prefer attending Edinburgh, rather than St Andrews. Both schools, and locations, have their plusses and minuses.

You should stress the positive, and think about the fact that thousands of students would love to be in your place.

I have read posts from people in the past who have selected Edinburgh over St Andrews.

Thanks alot , your comment made me realize how lucky i am to actually have an offer from edinburgh

take care

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending