The Student Room Group

Should I Leave the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by rafimax
Just to put it out there (and I understand that these posts are not entirely serious), I don't want to leave this country. I love what this country stands for, and I was born here, and my family has been here for well over a century. I owe this country so much. It has provided me with so much, from free healthcare to an education that is unmatched anywhere in the world. However, if it gets to the stage where people from the same race and religion as me are vilified and demonised to such and extent for crimes they did not commit, I don't think I can stay.

Unfortunately, there is a large number of stupid ***** in this country.

As far as I am concerned, you were born here, you have lived here all your life and therefore you are no less British than I am. You should not feel as though you need to 'leave'. This is your country too.
Original post by rafimax
I am an 18-year-old student, who is Jewish. I'm not in any way ashamed of this, and I wear a kippah just about everywhere I go.
However, I am starting to get the sense that Great Britain as a country does not think I should be proud of who I am. Anti-Semitism is on the rise (I have been the victim of anti-Semitic abuse myself), and the so-called 'liberal left' seems to think that I can't see through their masquerade, pretending that their anti-Israel opinions represent the truth, and that they hold these views purely out of solidarity with the Palestinians, and not at all because they think that Jews are rich puppet masters who control the world. I see a left attacking Israel with increasing vitriol, and increased fervour. I see a left which now seems to believe just about any of the lies said about Israel. Amongst the left, the sick, twisted, evil and untrue notion that Israel took part in ethnic cleansing in 1948 and since seems now to be accepted as truth and gospel, despite there being not a single shred of evidence in favour of these beliefs (please don't quote Deir Yassin at me. The crimes that took place there were horrible, and should (and have) never been repeated by people fighting for an independent Jewish state. I'm not justifying what happened, I'm claiming it was an aberration, an isolated point in history). I see a left which seems to be wandering into the trap set by fundamentalist (I deliberately mean to exclude moderate, liberal and secular Muslims, most of whom seem to be wise to this threat, and jolly nice people as well) Islam.
However, it is not this that upsets me. It is not that there is a minority of people who direct vitirolic hate towards Israel and the Jews. This has always and will always be the case with a minority group. What upsets me is that people are increasingly going along with this madness. It is becoming more and more accepted that the views of the left are virtuous and that all the left is doing is standing up for the little guy. There is a sense among the general public that those who are repeatedly and blatantly lying about imagined crimes Israel has not and will never commit are merely standing up for the Palestinians. Within the mainstream media (I mean the BBC, the Sunday Times, I don't consider the Guardian to be mainstream any more) there is a growing sense that these so-called defenders of the Palestinians are correct. That is what really worries me.
I am genuinely scared that soon a situation arises in this country where those who stand up for Israel are treated as extremists, cranks and lunatics, on the same level as someone who were to defend Bashar-al-Assad. When this happens, I'm out of here.
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/douglas-murray/2013/01/should-jews-leave-britain/

Sorry, but 'secular Muslims'? Seriously? Brings new meaning to EPIC FAIL.
Original post by kombu
so it was not satire. lol

holocaust done in the name of christianity??!! :eek:

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord"

"Concerning the moral value of Jewish religious instruction, there are today and have been at all times rather exhaustive studies (not by Jews; the drivel of the Jews themselves on the subject is, of course, adapted to its purpose) which make this kind of religion seem positively monstrous according to Aryan conceptions. The best characterization is provided by the product of this religious education, the Jew himself. His life is only of this world, and his spirit is inwardly as alien to true Christianity as his nature two thousand years previous was to the great founder of the new doctrine( he is referring to Jesus Christ). Of course, the latter made no secret of his attitude toward the Jewish people, and when necessary he even took to the whip to drive from the temple of the Lord (John 2:15) this adversary of all humanity, who then as always saw in religion nothing but an instrument for his business existence. In return, Christ was nailed to the cross, while our present-day party Christians debase themselves to begging for Jewish votes at elections and later try to arrange political swindles with atheistic Jewish parties-and this against their own nation."

This was just something I copied and pasted on my phone there are many more qoutes of him using christianity to justify the holocaust.
Original post by President M.E.
Sorry, but 'secular Muslims'? Seriously? Brings new meaning to EPIC FAIL.

There are more secular Muslim countries in the world then you think and it ain't just Turkey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Criticising the Israeli government has nothing to do with antisemitism per se. Policies currently employed by the state of Israel haven't only been criticised by major human rights organisations such as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch but also by the United Nations Human Rights Commission. None of these organisations have particular links to antisemitism in any way, shape or form, which suggests to me that accusing Israel of committing some human rights abuses is not necessarily done by parties or organisations who deliberately create a negative image of Israel. The government of Israel is definitely guilty of some human rights abuses, but this is something that happens in any state that's in a situation as problematic as the situation Israel is in...this government's human rights abuses have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it's made up of Jewish people hopefully sensible person criticising it's politics will understand that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending