The Student Room Group

how hard is an engineering degree really?

I've been having loads of 'why on earth do you want to be doing engineering?' converstaions recently, and being told it's such a heavy workloada nd now I'm really worried I won't be able to cope. I can't afford to drop out/change course or otherwise delay Uni and to be honest I'm really bricking it. any reassurance would be great

PS I'm planning on doing Civil Eng and am on a Gap Year at the minute, which is another worry, trying to get back into such a heavy work load after doing nothing adademic for so long :redface:
Reply 1
Medicine and Vetinary are worse. It takes getting used to but engineering isn't too bad, i'm satisfied knowing i am doing a degree that could get me a great career in civil, or if nothing else a very well respected, numerate degree.

Engineering graduates are in demand, and in some ways working hard is good. Some of my best mates at uni are on my course cause i spent so much time with them. Others do english etc, can hardly be expected to bond with their peers for the few hours a week they see them. and they often don't/.

I'm glad tbh....

One thing i strongly advise is you go over your a-level maths before going to uni, at least a week or two of proper revision. Revise mechanics and pure maths. This should sort you out and make it a lot easier to cope with your first couple of weeks. Less shock.

I knew a few gappers and they did have problems going back to academia, so its worth putting in a bit of effort beforehand.
Reply 2
It is a heavy workload and isn't easy. The reward (and the answer to all they questions about why anyone would want to do it) is all about job prospects and the demand you'll be in. What else had you considered? Engineering is the best :biggrin:
Reply 3
JitsuCol
It is a heavy workload and isn't easy. The reward (and the answer to all they questions about why anyone would want to do it) is all about job prospects and the demand you'll be in. What else had you considered? Engineering is the best :biggrin:

True, I'd much rather have a heavy workload than end up with a degree that isn't going to get me anywhere in particular. Other things I've considered :redface: Economics, though, I can't afford time/money wise to not go to University this year, so re-re-applying is a big no-no and I can't see that being a course that I could easily change into :frown: just getting a bit stressed and down about it all now
Reply 4
Engineering rocks. A route to an unacknowledged fortune.
Reply 5
devilbunny
Other things I've considered :redface: Economics, though, I can't afford time/money wise to not go to University this year, so re-re-applying is a big no-no and I can't see that being a course that I could easily change into :frown: just getting a bit stressed and down about it all now

If it means anything, a significant portion of engineers end up in the finance sector - so it's still an option though probably not how you'd envisage it. If you've got at least some interest in engineering then I don't see you regretting it :smile:.

(As for being unacknowledged - possibly true :frown:. If you ask me, people like Sergey Korolyov are my real heroes.

Maybe we'll always be the dark knights :rolleyes:)
Reply 6
Dark knights - I like it. Here's another one I commonly come across in engineering articles: the unsung heros.

Anyone care to add any other synonyms? We're engineers, we're can be versatile :biggrin:
Engineers - the blu tac holding the world's sh*t together. *snigger*

:biggrin:
Reply 8
lol - nice one.
Reply 9
Original post by db
I've been having loads of 'why on earth do you want to be doing engineering?' converstaions recently, and being told it's such a heavy workloada nd now I'm really worried I won't be able to cope. I can't afford to drop out/change course or otherwise delay Uni and to be honest I'm really bricking it. any reassurance would be great

PS I'm planning on doing Civil Eng and am on a Gap Year at the minute, which is another worry, trying to get back into such a heavy work load after doing nothing adademic for so long :redface:

So 12 years later how r u doing career wise? I doubt u even go on student room anymore lol
It depends on your mathematical aptitude and the university (caltech is the most the difficult undergrad experience on this planet)
Reply 12
Thread closed...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest