The Student Room Group

caught with weed in halls

Today i was woken up by the fire alarm in my halls, so i jumped out of bed put on some shoes and went outside. It turned out to be a fire drill the staff took down our room numbers so they new we were out.
When they let us back in after checking everone had left the building i realised i hadnt put my weed away from the night before. It was just sitting on my desk clearly visable and smellable. About five seconds after i walked into my room there was a knock on my door, it was one of the staff member's saying that she needed to talk to me about somthing. I said i can guess what its about and let her in.
she then told me that my room smelled like weed and she saw it on my desk. basically she told me that i have to have a meeting on friday and they had to confiscate my weed (very disapointing as i just bought it last night and barely touched it).
basically ive got a few questions.
1) should they have gone in my room without informing me?
2) how much trouble am i in? (i was polite, cooperative and gave the weed to her as soon as she said she had to take it, although i did swear but it wasnt aimed at her it was more myself for not hiding it)
3) anyone else get done like this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol.
Original post by jakey_boy
Today i was woken up by the fire alarm in my halls, so i jumped out of bed put on some shoes and went outside. It turned out to be a fire drill the staff took down our room numbers so they new we were out.
When they let us back in after checking everone had left the building i realised i hadnt put my weed away from the night before. It was just sitting on my desk clearly visable and smellable. About five seconds after i walked into my room there was a knock on my door, it was one of the staff member's saying that she needed to talk to me about somthing. I said i can guess what its about and let her in.
she then told me that my room smelled like weed and she saw it on my desk. basically she told me that i have to have a meeting on friday and they had to confiscate my weed (very disapointing as i just bought it last night and barely touched it).
2) how much trouble am i in? (i was polite, cooperative and gave the weed to her as soon as she said she had to take it, although i did swear but it wasnt aimed at her it was more myself for not hiding it)

if it hasnt been tested, say it was a marijuana substitute from a friend
I just looked it up and the police are likely to just give you a "cannabis warning" if this is your first time caught. However, the police didn't catch you with it, so you may have some leway.

You'll have to check your contract but they can probably kick you out. Don't let them convince you that they can put you in jail or anything because they absolutely do not have that power.

Finally, drugs are bad for you so stop doing them.
Reply 4
Original post by The_Last_Melon
I just looked it up and the police are likely to just give you a "cannabis warning" if this is your first time caught. However, the police didn't catch you with it, so you may have some leway.

You'll have to check your contract but they can probably kick you out. Don't let them convince you that they can put you in jail or anything because they absolutely do not have that power.

Did you know that the animal near your username is now extinct? Man hunted it to extinction in 2012
Original post by 4 U real?
Did you know that the animal near your username is now extinct? Man hunted it to extinction in 2012

It's the spotted hyena, as far as I'm aware they have a fairly large population in Africa. What did you think it was?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
It's the spotted hyena, as far as I'm aware they have a fairly large population in Africa. What did you think it was?

I know , its a spotted Hyena, the huge flock where wiped out during a mass hunting in early December 2012, they are now extinct as of 2012
Reply 7

This fire-alarm and room search happened in my halls last year too. My friend got caught with weed lying out. They took it off him and he had to attend a 'meeting' of some sort. The police weren't involved in that, but he got a final warning about doing drugs in Halls or he would be kicked out.

I don't know where it stands on whether it's 'allowed'. It wasn't a formal room inspection where they do give you notice... Tbh I don't know what it is. Be more careful next time.
I know , its a spotted Hyena, the huge flock where wiped out during a mass hunting in early December 2012, they are now extinct as of 2012

Do you have a source? They are my favourite animal :sad:
Reply 9

The Spotted Hyena numbers are stable and currently listed as being of 'least concern' by the IUCN.

source: http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/5674/0
Reply 10
Original post by Pink Boy
but he got a final warning about doing drugs in Halls or he would be kicked out.

so he didnt get kicked out?
its not like i smoke inside or anything thats disrespectful to the other people i live with
Reply 11
That sucks. I had police come round my halls in freshers marking stuff with uv pen and he asked me if I had anything else and without thinking I said my phone in that draw which was under a bag of weed, the cop simply moved the bag, marked my phone and carried on without saying anything. I'm surprised they care and have made a fuss about it. End of the day your not supposed to have it so I guess you have to tread carefully but I doubt much will come of it, I would definitely argue that they shouldn't have gone in your room. Most likely they will probably give you a warning to support some sort of self sense of authority they think they have and that's all it will come to. Hope you get it back but wouldn't count on it, probably been smoked by now.
you could lose your place at halls for violating both the no smoking rule and the no drugs rule or be charged extra/lose a deposit

the police will probably get involved so it will probably be marked down on both your uni record and police record

i doubt you will get more than a slap on the wrist from the police if its a first offense

depending on how lenient or harsh your uni is you could possibly get thrown out though

What have you been reading?? lol
Reply 14

I know someone who once took gillyweed. He got in right trouble with his professor.
Reply 15
Me and my flatmates were spotted last year twice, first time it was one of the student housing officer person thingy whilst in the middle of having a juicy jay and we got some warning about it, then the second time by the Halls security, they just told us to open the window and put a towel under the door. and left us to continue.

So it depends how nice the people are, I'm sure you will get a warning at most, I do know people who have been required to attend a couple of anti drug meeting by the university. So it really depends on how nice the person who busted you seemed.
Reply 16
ooooooo naughty naughty!!
you get a caution.

if i was you i wouldnt bother with the meeting. if they still confront you just say you was busy. what a pain in the ass

if anything weed can be beneficial for some people. It's not as damaging as the government says it is.

tell them it was a legal cannabis substitute you had bought.

If the police catch you the first time they'll give you a warning. I doubt they'll do anything though. If the staff member calls the police tell the police it was her weed, they have no evidence it belonged to you.

Quick Reply

Latest