The Student Room Group

Economics vs Engineering for a career in management consultancy!

Hi, I have been thoroughly researching management consultancy as a future career. I know when it comes to recruiting new employees, such firms hire graduates of many various backgrounds (law, medical, engineering, business etc).

However, I am in between deciding whether to do an economics or an engineering degree ( a place Oxbridge or any Russel group uni of such standards is what I'm aiming for). Problem is... I love both subjects just as equally as each other and hope to make the right choice so as to have the best possibilities in securing a job position after graduating.

Engineering sounds really promising as I can apply my logical and analytical skills when it comes to solving real-world cases in management consulting whereas economics will provide me with a broader understanding on economic activity within which all organisations function.

I've read about the EEM (Engineering, Economics and Management) course at Oxford and although it sounds really interesting, I fear an introduction to economics and management will only be provided as 2/3 of the course is to do with engineering.

My A-levels are 2 A* and 2 As (Maths, Physics, Economics and Art).

So my main question is what do management consulting firms consider to be a stronger undergraduate course? Engineering or Economics?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending