The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Public Relations at Bournemouth Uni?

Hey, I'm currently looking into uni's as I have to apply next year. BU has really caught my eye with its Public Relations course, I was wondering if there is anyone studying it now that can tell me a bit about it and whether they would reccomend it? And what is BU like in general? What's the accommodation, nightlife and such like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Bump!

I've firmed my unconditional to study PR there in September, so obviously I'm useless to you right now haha. But when I mentioned studying in England (I'm up in Scotland) to my PR lecturer at college she mentioned Bournemouth straightaway as one of the top PR courses. They have a full year's placement between 2nd and 3rd year and really great employment stats compared with other unis I was choosing from. :smile: x
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply and well done for getting an unconditional offer! I heard that it is one of the best PR courses in the uk too! Perhaps once you've started you can let me know what it's like, I would be really grateful! :smile: Do you know how competitive the course is and what's the reason for getting an unconditional offer? did you have to go to an interview? thanks again x
Original post by Theatre
Thanks for the reply and well done for getting an unconditional offer! I heard that it is one of the best PR courses in the uk too! Perhaps once you've started you can let me know what it's like, I would be really grateful! :smile: Do you know how competitive the course is and what's the reason for getting an unconditional offer? did you have to go to an interview? thanks again x

Thank you! I will do. I didn't have to go to an interview. I was studying an HNC in Advertising & PR (have now dropped out since I don't need to complete it) and already have 4 Highers at grades AAAB. My friend got a conditional offer for the same course and he is studying the HNC with no formal highers, so I'm assuming it's already having the highers that got me an unconditional. x
Reply 5
Original post by truthandtragedy
Thank you! I will do. I didn't have to go to an interview. I was studying an HNC in Advertising & PR (have now dropped out since I don't need to complete it) and already have 4 Highers at grades AAAB. My friend got a conditional offer for the same course and he is studying the HNC with no formal highers, so I'm assuming it's already having the highers that got me an unconditional. x

Sorry this might be a bit of a stupid question but what is a HNC? I'm currently studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performing Arts so I hope that will be enough to get me on the course? I don't really have any experience in PR but I have a Distinction* in Media Production, (gcse level), but I know a lot about the subject and I think it sounds really interesting and would love a career in PR!

(Sorry again for all the questions!)
Original post by Theatre
Sorry this might be a bit of a stupid question but what is a HNC? I'm currently studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performing Arts so I hope that will be enough to get me on the course? I don't really have any experience in PR but I have a Distinction* in Media Production, (gcse level), but I know a lot about the subject and I think it sounds really interesting and would love a career in PR!

(Sorry again for all the questions!)

Sorry, it's a Scottish qualification! It's essentially equivalent to 1st year of uni up here since we do 4 years. But I managed to get an offer to start in 2nd year in Greenwich, so I think different unis must view it differently. You could email the BU team to ask about your BTEC, they've been really helpful with my inquiries so far. :smile: x
Reply 7
Sorry, it's a Scottish qualification! It's essentially equivalent to 1st year of uni up here since we do 4 years. But I managed to get an offer to start in 2nd year in Greenwich, so I think different unis must view it differently. You could email the BU team to ask about your BTEC, they've been really helpful with my inquiries so far. :smile: x

That's okay! Ah okay I see! I'll try emailing them then :biggrin: Do you have the email address? :P Thank you! You've been really helpful :smile: x
Original post by Theatre
That's okay! Ah okay I see! I'll try emailing them then :biggrin: Do you have the email address? :P Thank you! You've been really helpful :smile: x

Try [email protected] and you're welcome! x
Reply 9
Hey, I have a few friends doing PR and they are all loving it! From things I've heard them say you do a lot of marketing ( they join you with the marketing lot so you have the same lectures ) and you do finance as well and campaign promotions and so on.. And some advertising and some essay she said but that's about as much help as I can be .. Bournemouth is great.. Halls ... All banging but it depends on what type of person you are ... Purbeck (my halls) is the mad one, parties non stop... But the walls are thin as hell and if you want a quiet night chances are u won't be getting one.. Lyme is also good parties n that but bit chilled than Purbeck ... All the other halls are quiet .. But the worst one is the student village .. Hope that helps xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Try [email protected] and you're welcome! x

Thank you :smile: xx

Original post by Pres'
Hey, I have a few friends doing PR and they are all loving it! From things I've heard them say you do a lot of marketing ( they join you with the marketing lot so you have the same lectures ) and you do finance as well and campaign promotions and so on.. And some advertising and some essay she said but that's about as much help as I can be .. Bournemouth is great.. Halls ... All banging but it depends on what type of person you are ... Purbeck (my halls) is the mad one, parties non stop... But the walls are thin as hell and if you want a quiet night chances are u won't be getting one.. Lyme is also good parties n that but bit chilled than Purbeck ... All the other halls are quiet .. But the worst one is the student village .. Hope that helps xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!

Thanks for the info! That sounds like my cup of tea haha! And I've started looking at halls and I was wondering do you know how hard it is to get into Purbeck or Dorchester? These are the two I was thinking of applying for :smile: xxx
Original post by Pres'
But the worst one is the student village .. Hope that helps xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha student village is my 1st choice. I'm moving quite far to get to BU, so figured I'd be best to stay on campus for 1st year. Plus, I'll be a little older than typical freshers. I've been to uni before and stayed in party halls and did the whole getting drunk for a year, so the quiet student village sounds great to me haha! x
Reply 12
There's no easy or hard if you apply as soon as you get your unconditional offer you should be alright, Dorchester is a lot bigger and you get double beds .. But gotta tell you all my friends that live there are always complaining about no hot water or power cuts and so on... Purbeck has never had that :wink: .. And yea if you want somewhere quiet and close to Uni it will be the village .. But Chesil is also very nice, quiet and you get much bigger rooms it would have definitely been my top choice if I knew ... Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
There's no easy or hard, as long as you apply straight after receiving your unconditional offer you should be fine, but don't wait at all do it the same day! Dorchester is a lot bigger, double beds, sensor lights, leather sofas, but always have power cuts, no hot water n that... Purbeck has never had that problem :wink:..

Ah well you should be alright then if you want somewhere quiet and close to Uni the village is the place. Although Chesil is my personal favourite would have definitely been my top choice if I had seen them all, so cosy and homey, and you get huge rooms, my friend pays the same as me but he got a studio! Huge room like a mini flat so nice! And it's quiet .. And you get the benefits of partying and that cause Purbeck is opposite xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Oops double post there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pres'
There's no easy or hard, as long as you apply straight after receiving your unconditional offer you should be fine, but don't wait at all do it the same day! Dorchester is a lot bigger, double beds, sensor lights, leather sofas, but always have power cuts, no hot water n that... Purbeck has never had that problem :wink:..

Ah well you should be alright then if you want somewhere quiet and close to Uni the village is the place. Although Chesil is my personal favourite would have definitely been my top choice if I had seen them all, so cosy and homey, and you get huge rooms, my friend pays the same as me but he got a studio! Huge room like a mini flat so nice! And it's quiet .. And you get the benefits of partying and that cause Purbeck is opposite xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is Dorchester a quiet halls? I want a party atmosphere halls but I also want those days when I can sit in my room and just do work in a quiet atmosphere but I don't want to be bored. I was thinking of putting Dorchester first and I'm debating between Cranbourne (because I heard it's being refurbished) and Purbeck as my 2nd choice of halls.
Original post by racheal-leigh
Is Dorchester a quiet halls? I want a party atmosphere halls but I also want those days when I can sit in my room and just do work in a quiet atmosphere but I don't want to be bored. I was thinking of putting Dorchester first and I'm debating between Cranbourne (because I heard it's being refurbished) and Purbeck as my 2nd choice of halls.

Hiya everyone! Been looking everywhere for this lol! I'm also looking to study public relations in bournemouth next year, but I'm from ireland so I'm like really nervous about coming over to England for the first time. I should be ok lol, shouldn't I? also amazing to hear that it's one of the best PR courses in the UK. Is that actually true?
Original post by Naoimh_Quinn
Hiya everyone! Been looking everywhere for this lol! I'm also looking to study public relations in bournemouth next year, but I'm from ireland so I'm like really nervous about coming over to England for the first time. I should be ok lol, shouldn't I? also amazing to hear that it's one of the best PR courses in the UK. Is that actually true?

Amazing, glad I'm not the only one traveling a fair bit haha! It's pretty highly regarded for Public Relations, you get a whole placement year as well which will be really helpful when it comes to getting a grad job. x
Hey I've got a conditional for public relations as well! I'm sooooo excited haha, Bournemouth is basically my only choice because I just loved it when i went there and the course seems really good! I only saw Chesil house on the open day but it seemed really cool, I want somewhere lively but not so mad that I couldn't ever get work done so I'm hoping it would be ok! Purbeck or Dorchester would be my other favourites but yeah Chesil is where I'll apply to I think. Annoying you can't apply until you've got unconditional though :/
Reply 19
Hiii, I have a conditional offer for public relations too! so exciting!! I have absolutely nooo idea which acoms to apply for at all, chesil house looks so so nice but is it really far away from talbot campus?! I have no idea x x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending