The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
what mechanisms are we meant to know?
Reply 21
Nucleophilic addition(-elimination) and substitution, and electrophilic add/sub.

Free radical from AS.

Also napthalene-2-ol came up in Jan! So sneaky but it was in the revision guide... It forms a RED azo dye. Phenol is yellow.
Reply 22
How did everyone find it? I thought it was considerably harder than past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by x_leah27_x
How did everyone find it? I thought it was considerably harder than past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That one about the isomer (molecules L and M) blew me; I had to rush the rest of the paper but just finished in time after furiously scribbling a 4-chlorobenzoic acid molecule and 35Cl and 37Cl. Hope it gets the marks!
Reply 24
Thought overall it was okay! :smile: Only things that threw me were 5)b) where we had to find L and M and then the maths part of question 3, but otherwise it was alright

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Anybody else get 1 for the number of moles present of water in that molecule?
Reply 26
Yeah I had 1 too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Picksel8
Anybody else get 1 for the number of moles present of water in that molecule?

I did!! :biggrin: Sorry I'm slightly relieved someone else had the same answer to me, I spent about 15 minutes staring at that question trying to figure out how to answer it :P
Reply 28
I left it when I first saw it and thought there was no way I was going to answer i, got there in the end though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by rach-ell
I did!! :biggrin: Sorry I'm slightly relieved someone else had the same answer to me, I spent about 15 minutes staring at that question trying to figure out how to answer it :P

Good good, it looked harder than it was to be fair, was just a case of getting the relevant information out of that ridiculously large paragraph!

The molecule M, what did people get? I had something like

CH3-CH2-CO-NH-C6H5-NH2

I think I may have remembered what i put down wrong though, it was something like that
Reply 30
I didnt get 1 because my Mr came out as 0.84 for some reason which was obviously wrong! but couldn't figure out where I'd gone wrong :frown: My friend got 1 though :smile:
Reply 31
The opening question was probably the hardest opening question on a CH4 paper I've done to be fair
Reply 32
Yeah was quite a hard paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I thought using the Derby vodka thing was quite funny for a rationale; it was a good question though - 2methylpropan-2-ol?

n=[210-(6x12+8x1.01+7x16)]/18.02 or something like that giving 0.99 which rounds to 1.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
I put 1,1-dimethylethanol but now I think about it it's obviously wrong. Oh dear.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tert-Butyl_alcohol
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Also the dehydrating agent is P4O10 - phosphorus (V) oxide - I'm sure that was tricky for most!
Original post by VSEPR
Also the dehydrating agent is P4O10 - phosphorus (V) oxide - I'm sure that was tricky for most!

dehydrating agent for what, can you remember?
Reply 37
Original post by VSEPR

Pretty sure you could just use conc sulfuric acid
Original post by Picksel8
Pretty sure you could just use conc sulfuric acid

Yeah I know, that's what I remember putting down I don't recall using P4O10 anywhere.
Reply 39
I used LiAlH4, oops!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending