The Student Room Group

Psychology undergrad degree?

Hi i'm in year 12 and doing photography, psychology, geography and english lit-lang. I'm dropping photography at the end of this year.
I am loving psychology at the minute and I really want to pursue a career in it, do you think that I have a chance of getting into uni with these subjects- I'm predicted AAAA at AS.
(i got an A in Maths and English at GCSE)
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by denimjacket96
Hi i'm in year 12 and doing photography, psychology, geography and english lit-lang. I'm dropping photography at the end of this year.
I am loving psychology at the minute and I really want to pursue a career in it, do you think that I have a chance of getting into uni with these subjects- I'm predicted AAAA at AS.
(i got an A in Maths and English at GCSE)
Thanks

Well getting into 'Uni' will be no problem at all. Some places have subject preferences, however you would have a strong application for several top uni's with your grades/subjects.
Where are you liking the look of ?
Reply 2
At first I wanted to forensic psychology but I've completely changed my mind and want to go into clinical instead. I really like the look of clinical and health psychology at Bangor University.
Reply 3
Original post by denimjacket96
At first I wanted to forensic psychology but I've completely changed my mind and want to go into clinical instead. I really like the look of clinical and health psychology at Bangor University.

Ah Okay thats definitely a good option. If you are serious about clinical then experience is really they key to success in applying for the doctorate. Bath is an excellent choice and has considerable focus on Heath and Clinical Psych (A*AA). Exeter's Clinical course is also really good as it trains you in mindfullness therapy and also gives you patient contact and small group learning (AAA-AAB). Another option is York that has quite a biological slant to their course however, there is the possibility of directly continuing onto Clinical training at Hull (AAA-AAB). Bristol is another great choice and having geography and psych at A2 (like I did) counts as sciences (they like you to have 2 so you would be fine), they do have a strong experimental slant, but would be a great base to go and do a masters in research and then try and enter the doctorate in clinical psych (If you are predicted 3A*'s then the offer is A*AA if not it is AAA). Equally there are LOTS of other really good places to study, look at year 3 modules to help you decide which places have modules you are interested in as the first 2 years tend to be rather similar everywhere due to meeting the BPS requirements. That is except the new course at cambridge; Psychological and Behavioural Sciences, which allows you to take 2 core psych modules, 2 optional ones (from a list of subjects including Philosophy, Sociology, Evolutionary Biology, Economics, Politics, Anthropology, Computer Science, Education), they require A*AA, however they do say its highly desirable to have Bio or Maths at A2, i had neither.

Lastly remember its all about putting yourself in the right situation to get onto the doctorate once you qualify, normally its about 3-6 years after you graduate that succesful candidates get on it. You will likely (realistically) need a Masters and at least a year as an assistant psychologist. However its all about what you get out of your experiences so if you do some voluntary work in that area along side your degree you can equally draw on that.

Sorry for the essay :P Hope some of it is useful to you :smile:
Reply 4
Thankyou that was extremely useful, nice to get some decent information out of someone. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending