The Student Room Group

Coming up with a PhD research proposal/etiquette

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of thinking out a research proposal that I can put forward next year (I've basically missed the funding deadline this year but I'm not really prepared anyway!). I am interested in a topic, but the problem is that I'm still not sure whether there is more to be said on it and I don't want to pursue something that academics now think is done with.

The academic who wrote the book that inspired me in the first place has recently returned from the US... I have been thinking about contacting him to ask about his thoughts on my topic and whether it might be viable. Does this breach any sort of academic etiquette?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
EDIT: Ha! Misread your first comment. I thought he was coming back to the states. My mistake. No idea about etiquette for the UK, although I emailed all my potential supervisors 9 months to a year before my applications and got good responses from all but 1 (6 of 7).

So you can disregard this if you like:

From my understanding, here in the US (assuming that is where you are based on the context) there is very little in the way of etiquette in regards to contacting potential supervisors or scholars in your field.

In general, you will want to outline your thoughts well and not come across as a generic "fan" of his previous work and be willing to accept that he may simply not respond.

I have contacted authors in the past regarding presentations associated with their work only to get pleasant responses several weeks after the presentation. Many "authorities" are busy and do not keep up with their email as promptly as we might like.

That said, good luck.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
There's no particular etiquette about contacting an academic directly about their work in the UK either, although having a proxy introduction from another academic/professional ("So-and-so suggested I contact you...") can be helpful as an opening gambit. I'd say my results over the space of undergrad and Masters dissertations have been an even split between those who didn't reply at all, those who replied and were extremely helpful, and those who replied but were negative about my ideas.

For the record, my response to the last was to carry on regardless and I ended up published as a result. Be aware that if you're coming up with original ideas, some experts (hopefully a minority) will see you as encroaching on "their" territory and can be defensive. Dont be discouraged if this happens. If my experience is anything to go by, it seems to indicate that you're onto something :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending