The Student Room Group

Hurtful things we carry around...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MelanieDickson
There was a boy in early high school who used to always laugh at me for being chubby and ugly. (My best friend back then even joined in laughing once) Honestly, he was right at the time, I had a lot of baby fat, greasy hair and bad acne. But even though I've lost the weight, cleaned and cleared up, and had a number of friends and strangers alike tell me I'm very attractive now, I've never, ever been able to let go of that imagine of myself. Even though I know it's irrational, inside I'm still that chubby girl. I never wear clothes that are even the slightest bit sexual because I'm sure no one wants to see that. I still hate getting naked in front of my boyfriend because, as much as he tells me otherwise, I'm convinced he must be disgusted by my body. I can't even stand his hands on my stomach in case he decides I'm too fat and wants to leave me. I get scared when he pushes my hair back to see my face in case all those spots have come back and he's repulsed.

I think that boy's words really, really damaged me in a way probably more than anyone else's ever has. Even though I've moved on and I'm much happier now than I was then, I still can't shake it off quite fully.

He is with you for a reason :smile: he obviously thinks you are beautiful- and remember... beauty is subjective. YOU might not think you are gorgeous, but he does... beauty is int he eye of the beholder, and if he wants to admire you- let him :smile: If he were disgusted he wouldn't be with you :smile: xx
Reply 21
Original post by Ace Of Diamonds
Oh I have a good example! When I was in primary school (I was 6 I think) we had to write valentines cards to everyone in our class. Anyway, I was putting "love from" in all my cards because my mum told me to. Then one girl started loudly teasing me for putting "love from" in her card. At the time it was so humilating that I never wrote "love from" in a card for 10 years after that, even in ones to my parents or family.
In fact im still very skeptical of the word love, I think you shouldn't say it unless you really mean it.

I should've slapped that bitch

love love love

it's fine see :smile:
Original post by Swanbow
The guy sounds like a shallow self absorbed ****, you deserve so much better don't let those words get to you!

I have a whole box with little presents and mementoes from my ex, I couldn't stand seeing them lying around any more but nor could I bring myself to throw them away. When she broke up she said she didn't loved me, which hurt enormously and I couldn't bring myself to read a note in that box where she said she'll love me forever no matter what.

On the other hand I got a belt out of the relationship that was great quality and only broke recently, which is a bit of a bummer as I had to get a new belt. I suppose we attach emotional and sentimental value on things for the memories they bring, not necessarily on how practical they are.

Its ok, I understand that. I was also told I would be loved indefinitely, that he loved the way I looked and was, but ofc those words proved to be empty.

I find things like that difficult to part with- I too have a box with things I saved from our first days together, simple things like a leaf from the tree under which we had our first kiss, train tickets from when we met up, a birthday card etc etc... I wanted to throw them away.. but I can't. sometimes those things hurt to keep around but these people made us who we are today, they are a part of our history, and to discard it would be a mistake.
Reply 23
No girls have ever hated on any particular object I have worn/owned...

But I have some trinkets from past relationships floating around (they were hurtful at one time but now just bring back fond memories)

I have a keyring picture from Alton towers of my first love from about 5 years ago now... I occasionally bump into that.

Got a spanish dictionary which reminds me of a Spanish ex gf

a kangaroo teddy bear from an australian girl and she also doodled on the back of the notepad I use for uni at the moment... "steve smells =)". Considering she dumped me I just love seeing that note :p: Haven't spoke to that aussie girl for a month now and I won't be speaking to her again unless she messages, but it is still nice remembering that at one stage in her life she loved me, apparently at least.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Obviously it was not about the red hoodie. It was about the fact that he felt you didn't make enough effort with your appearance and didn't look feminine. It is okay to accept that and come out a better woman, even if he said it in an unnecessarily hurtful way. Hopefully down the line you can land a guy who's way better, and you'll forget all about it.

I have never dated a guy who's made very negative comments like that. 4 years back the guy I was dating said something a little bit rude about a pair of boots I wore, but I hardly think about that. I was 18, so my style has changed a lot since then anyway.
I'm fairly cut-off with these things. If you end things with someone, you move on. Delete or block from facebook/skype/whatever, cut contact, throw out memories if you have to. Don't let yesterday take up too much of today.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Millie228
Obviously it was not about the red hoodie. It was about the fact that he felt you didn't make enough effort with your appearance and didn't look feminine. It is okay to accept that and come out a better woman, even if he said it in an unnecessarily hurtful way. Hopefully down the line you can land a guy who's way better, and you'll forget all about it.

oh I know :smile: Though tbh i am quite feminine, I didnt wear it all that often. He just needed something to say, so he picked on that. I just felt the hoodie symbolized the bad things that were said to me, so I chucked it into a bag and hid it.
Original post by Future African game vet
He is with you for a reason :smile: he obviously thinks you are beautiful- and remember... beauty is subjective. YOU might not think you are gorgeous, but he does... beauty is int he eye of the beholder, and if he wants to admire you- let him :smile: If he were disgusted he wouldn't be with you :smile: xx

Thank you! :smile:

I try not to let it bother me too much. When I think about it I know he must find me attractive. It's just one of those things that's never far from my mind. :frown:
Original post by USRaphael
I was bullied for many years, mostly over my appearance. I hate looking in the mirror, I see an ugly loser who everyone will always hate, it doesn't matter what I change about myself this feeling is always there. I loathe social situations - usually I end up taking anti-anxiety drugs beforehand and even then I get so scared of people being nasty to me again. I can't see why anyone would want to be around me or talk to me. When I'm outside everyone is judging me and laughing at me, it makes me feel worthless.

Don't think I'll ever get over these feelings so well done OP for getting over what that dick said to you.

Exact same happened here bro..
I've taken a year out of my life to dedicate solely to just getting over SA, and I can truthfully say volunteering has been the best decision of my life. Immersing yourself in a situation where you're constantly dealing with strangers is hell at first, but I can tell you it's the best thing to do..believe me, mean ***** like those that bullied you are such a small minority of people as a whole. You just need to see for yourself that your fears are irrational until you don't have that deep rooted fear of people anymore.
Reply 28
I'm stuck with horrible things that people have done to me rather than said to me, wish I could forget everything lol
A large flail.
Nick Hornby
It would be nice to think that as I've got older times have changed, relationships have become more sophisticated, females less cruel, skins thicker, reactions sharper, instincts more developed. But there still seems to be an element of that evening in everything that happened to me since; all my other romantic stories seem to be a scrambled version of that first one. Of course, I have never had to take that long walk again, and my ears have not burned with quite the same fury, and I have never had to count the packs of cheap cigarettes in order to avoid mocking eyes and floods of tears... not really, not actually, not as such. It just feels that way, sometimes.

Vladimir Nabokov
Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.

Nick Hornby again
I'm thinking: I've had a bath with this person (just one, years ago, but, you know, a bath's a bath), and I'm already beginning to find it hard to remember what she looks like. I'm thinking: I wish this stage was over, and we could go on to the next stage, the stage where you look in the paper and see that Scent of a Woman is on TV, and you say to yourself, Oh, I saw that with Laura.

What does it mean to "get over" a relationship?

You can't burn the evidence, because all you're doing is a crude hack job on your brain. You're never going to remove the right bit without damaging the rest of it. You have to accept it as part of who you are.
Original post by Anonymous
Exact same happened here bro..
I've taken a year out of my life to dedicate solely to just getting over SA, and I can truthfully say volunteering has been the best decision of my life. Immersing yourself in a situation where you're constantly dealing with strangers is hell at first, but I can tell you it's the best thing to do..believe me, mean ***** like those that bullied you are such a small minority of people as a whole. You just need to see for yourself that your fears are irrational until you don't have that deep rooted fear of people anymore.

Yeah, I've thought about volunteering somewhere but my ideas tended to include as little social interaction as possible (ie. animals), I think even that would help. It's just the getting round to calling them that's a problem.

The doubts about myself are ruining my life, I can't do most the things I want to do and I would love to change. :frown:
Reply 32
When I was 11 a boy in my class told me I had no personality. It seems funny how ridiculous a statement that is now, but I've only really had the confidence to see that this year, and I'm 17 now. As for him, I'm pretty sure he forgot he said that by the next day, even though it haunted me for years.
I was bullied for many years, mostly over my appearance. I hate looking in the mirror, I see an ugly loser who everyone will always hate, it doesn't matter what I change about myself this feeling is always there. I loathe social situations - usually I end up taking anti-anxiety drugs beforehand and even then I get so scared of people being nasty to me again. I can't see why anyone would want to be around me or talk to me. When I'm outside everyone is judging me and laughing at me, it makes me feel worthless.

Don't think I'll ever get over these feelings so well done OP for getting over what that dick said to you.

Why do you feel everyone will always hate you? Im sure you're not that terrible... I don't think anyone is.

Are you seeing anyone about these feelings?

Wish you well xx
Original post by olivestay
When I was 11 a boy in my class told me I had no personality. It seems funny how ridiculous a statement that is now, but I've only really had the confidence to see that this year, and I'm 17 now. As for him, I'm pretty sure he forgot he said that by the next day, even though it haunted me for years.

aw, im sorry thats terrible :console:

Glad you are starting to feel better :smile: From our posts you seem really nice!

Chin up xx
Original post by Future African game vet
aw thank you :redface: but im sure I have many flaws- he certainly seemed to think so!!
The men I date don't start off as douche bags...maybe I just turn them into douche bags :tongue: and perhaps I jut haven't found the right guy yet (generally nice ones don't tend to approach me!) :moon:

Aww :redface: Well I hope you find the right person :hugs:
Original post by Felix Felicis
Aww :redface: Well I hope you find the right person :hugs:

thank you :angelblush:
He sounds horrible im so sorry for you :frown:
I know what you mean, im blind in one eye and my left eye slightly turns in and people just dont think its been horrible at uni i had a girl tell me i was 'nice enough for somebody with a funny eye' another girl just came up to me and said 'why are you crossed eyed' and ive had boys call me 'one eye' they dont think of their words or actions to them its just words but they have no idea how badly the hurt somebody, ive actually tried to get my eye fixed but the doctors said I risk a 80% of going totally blind

also my ex boyfriend told me he was just settling for me because he couldnt get anybody better that hurt alot and even nearly 2 years down the line I still carry around the fear of just being the person somebody settles for until somebody better comees along
Reply 38
I keep my valentine's 2011 card from my ex-girlfriend 'cus I don't have the heart to bin it, despite the fact that when her Dad walked out she completely changed and became really hurtful and spiteful no matter how much I tried to make her happy. I keep it hidden on the top shelf though so I don't have to see it and she thought I binned it when we broke up. :frown:
Reply 39
Yeah, I've thought about volunteering somewhere but my ideas tended to include as little social interaction as possible (ie. animals), I think even that would help. It's just the getting round to calling them that's a problem.

The doubts about myself are ruining my life, I can't do most the things I want to do and I would love to change. :frown:

Hmm. Okay, so you have doubts about the way you look.

Have you ever tried to figure out what the issue is? Why you're insecure, that is?
Do you think you're fat/ short/ weak/ monobrowed or what? Be clear on that, and if there is, in fact, something wrong, do something about it.

If you're fat, hit the treadmill, give up McDs.
If you're weak, pump some iron.
And so forth.

This may seem like giving in to social perceptions, but, well, I do think one turns out happier that way.

Alot of people will just ask you to "accept yourself" and "be happy with who you are" and what-not. I think, more often than not, that doesn't do anything.

Stand up for yourself. People respond positively to confidence. (Not douchebaggery.) Everybody wants to be around somebody who's sure of themselves. It's not a conscious decision, but rather, a subconscious preference, I guess. :P
Be strong. Know who you are what you are capable of.
Know, that the only person who's opinion you really need to give a sh*t about is yourself.

Iron is only made in Blast Furnaces, brother. Get to it. B|

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending