Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the meaning of "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk"?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just watched Dr. Strangelove (1964), and the last line was apparently improvised by Peter Sellers when he accidentally got up from his wheelchair while playing the namesake character. I find it hard to believe that this famous movie quote almost never happened, though. What does it even mean? It sounds quite random, even for an accidental outburst. Granted that the character switches from using Mr. President to Mein Fuhrer (inferring that he used to work as a Nazi-sympathising scientist in Germany). Although the circumstances around the delivery of the "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk" are dubious to me, I should bear in mind that Stanley Kubrick originally thought of ending the film with a pie fight, even more farcical. In that case, is the quote not to be taken seriously? Some have said that it's just a joke, accentuated by the irony of a disabled guy miraculously learning to walk, too little too late!

J. Kastorf (http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0034.html) seemed to think this improvised line had a deeper symbolic purpose, that Dr. Strangelove is fascism embodied. That is, paralyzed (of Germany's defeat in WWII), but not completely dead, and still influential. By convincing the US President of taking up his idea of selecting only the brightest and best civilians and military men into the mines, and staying on course for the mutually assured destruction of the USA and Russia, Dr. Strangelove has realized the fascist goals of an intellectually and racially (I assume) 'pure' society. So the miracle of Strangelove walking is likened to the miracle of the Third Reich ruling over the world, underground in mine shafts.

This symbolism is convincing, but incongruent with the overall satirical, almost slapstick tone of the film. I mean, for crying out loud, one of the nukes on the B-52 say "Dear John"! I'm stuck between Kastorf's reading of the quote and "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk" simply being an improvised ad-lib. What does everyone else think the quote means? Whatever it is, it's bloody funny!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well it sounds like saying "my God, I can walk!" like how back in the day people used to say things like "My God!" and "By jove" etc. It's probably a joke anyway but if you want to read more into it, I'd say it was meant to be "My God, I can walk" and as Hitler was a complete tyrant and in a way assumed the role of a God (deciding who lives or dies, in this case those who were Aryan could live and the Jews died), so sort of took on a God role in that society. Like a joke that the two were interchangeable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Well it sounds like saying "my God, I can walk!" like how back in the day people used to say things like "My God!" and "By jove" etc. It's probably a joke anyway but if you want to read more into it, I'd say it was meant to be "My God, I can walk" and as Hitler was a complete tyrant and in a way assumed the role of a God (deciding who lives or dies, in this case those who were Aryan could live and the Jews died), so sort of took on a God role in that society. Like a joke that the two were interchangeable.
    I understand what you mean, I wanted the focus to go not just on the quote but on why Dr. Strangelove suddenly started walking in the first place. I probably wasn't clear on that. It's interesting that you've made the connection to mild oaths like "My God" and linked it to the God-like powers bestowed upon the Fuhrer (well, a particular Fuhrer, Adolf Hitler).

It's so like Peter Sellers (and the rest of the film, really) to just throw away a disability like that, and not take anything too seriously, which is a tell-tale sign of a good satire.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a joke. Healthy men will be required to reproduce with healthy women to repopulate the world, and Strangelove wants a piece of that action. Read the script.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 18, 2013
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.