The Student Room Group

Chinese hackers attack New York Times

A US Newspaper claims that Chinese hackers have repetedly attacked their computers following a report last year that accused a high ranking Chinese family of acumilating around $2.7 billion in "hidden riches". Hacking methods included accessing emails and stealing access passwords from New York Times employees. The Chinese government strongly refutes these claims, stating that they themselves are subject to these kind of attacks.

Source:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/9838829/Chinese-hackers-attack-New-York-Times-after-Wen-Jiabao-investigation.html

Original article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/business/global/family-of-wen-jiabao-holds-a-hidden-fortune-in-china.html?pagewanted=all
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Pedd
A US Newspaper claims that Chinese hackers have repetedly attacked their computers following a report last year that accused a high ranking Chinese family of acumilating around $2.7 billion in "hidden riches". Hacking methods included accessing emails and stealing access passwords from New York Times employees. The Chinese government strongly refutes these claims, stating that they themselves are subject to these kind of attacks.

Source:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/9838829/Chinese-hackers-attack-New-York-Times-after-Wen-Jiabao-investigation.html

Original article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/business/global/family-of-wen-jiabao-holds-a-hidden-fortune-in-china.html?pagewanted=all

so another pretext for war for the usa?
Reply 2
"Experts found no evidence that the intruders used the passwords to seek information that was not related to the reporting on the Wen family."
"Computer security experts found no evidence that sensitive emails or files from the reporting of our articles about the Wen family were accessed, downloaded or copied,"
I am really confused, the "hackers" were trageting information on Wen's family reporting onl, and No such emais or files were accessed, downloaded or copied.
Reply 3
Original post by hanros
so another pretext for war for the usa?

This is actually an incredibly serious issue. China has spent the last few years attacking nations and companies and it's been speculated this is one way in which they fuel their economic and technological advancement. It's hardly a laughing issue some of the attacks launched by Chinese hackers
Reply 4
Original post by Aj12
This is actually an incredibly serious issue. China has spent the last few years attacking nations and companies and it's been speculated this is one way in which they fuel their economic and technological advancement. It's hardly a laughing issue some of the attacks launched by Chinese hackers

Again I repeat from the article : "Experts found no evidence that the intruders used the passwords to seek information that was not related to the reporting on the Wen family."
"Computer security experts found no evidence that sensitive emails or files from the reporting of our articles about the Wen family were accessed, downloaded or copied,"

The accusations are groundless. They are based purely on the IP address originating from China, with a population of over a billion. Further more please don't pretend that China is the only one playing this game, ever heard of stuxnet, an attack which could have had far more serious implications. To state that china's growth is purely down to stealing information from other nations is obviously jealousy. btw i'm not chinese so don't think I am apologising for them.
Reply 5
Original post by hanros
Again I repeat from the article : "Experts found no evidence that the intruders used the passwords to seek information that was not related to the reporting on the Wen family."

The accusations are groundless. They are based purely on the IP address originating from China, with a population of over a billion. Further more please don't pretend that China is the only one playing this game, ever heard of stuxnet, an attack which could have had far more serious implications. To state that china's growth is purely down to stealing information from other nations is obviously jealousy. btw i'm not chinese so don't think I am apologising for them.

Well, it is not groundless. The hacking started at the same time, they reported about Wen's family.

Also, the IP address originates from the same Chinese University that has been used for other attacks.

The hackers were probably just trying to find the who the person was that gave the detais about Wen's wealth.

Oh...and I am not American either...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending