The Student Room Group

He only thinks about marriage?! I feel like the guy when I'm with him

Hi guys

Ive been having a lot of trouble with this guy.

I met him in secondary school and we have the same exact background, we're so similar in terms of ethnicity and personality. We lost touch when i moved to a different country, two years ago. But we talked on and off. Recently we started talking again and he confessed he's likes me and I agreed to try it out. He bought up marriage almost immediately even though I'm 18 and live in a different country! He agreed it would be a while before either of us could actually get married but that was his intention in the end. We're Asian and Muslim so I guess it wasnt too weird. But I was so freaked out, I was just looking to try dating as horrible as that sounds. Neither of us have been in a relationship before.

It was really sweet and everything, but I'm kinda a girl who likes checking out every other guy. He isn't that type with girls.. so I felt guilty. He was so happy when I said yes but I went through nothing but stress afterwards, especially when it seems that I had accidently said yes to marrying him. I AM 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hes so perfect, everyone I knew said that I would be an idiot to give him up. I agreed but I said I wasnt ready to be in a relationship. His parents agreed and everything (yes he told his parents! I feel like i should be picking out my wedding dress already).

So we agreed not to talk and focus on our studies. He messages the next day saying 'Being away from you is so hard, and maybe we could talk on and off..'.

I am honestly just frustrated and am alright with not talking for a while. I can't cut him out of my life because he is sweet, but I'm not attracted to him and am enjoying my life being single. Everyone tells me these things are stupid and I need to look for a caring personality (which he has) and not an emotional connection, and I should defo keep in touch and marry him when I'm older.

I dont know whether to insist that I want to cut him off because he is not getting the picture. He continues to think about marriage when I'm thinking about the cute boy in my class.

Any advice?

Quick Reply