The Student Room Group

What is the hardest subject to study at university?

In your opinion, what is the hardest subject at university?

Scroll to see replies

This thread again?

I swear there are variants on hardest/easiest/most fun/boring GCSE/A-level/degree EVERY WEEK.
Personally I think I would find something like Maths of Physics extremely difficult, but it probably depends on both the person and the uni as well.
Reply 3
Medicine isn't that difficult, just **** loads of information.
Reply 4
Medicine w/o a doubt.
Reply 5
Such a stupid question, it's different for different people. Also, a subject can be difficult in different ways - is it intellectually difficult, or is it difficult purely because of the amount of information you need to know?
Would you lot say optometry us hard ? What gcse grades should you be getting ? In say English maths three sciences.
Reply 7
The hardest subject to study at University is a subject the University doesn't offer :colone: lol
Reply 8
Based on the percentage of first class honours achieved ( according to the Higher Education Statistics Agency), it would be towards the bottom of this list:

Engineering and technology 23.97%

Physical sciences 22.10%

Computer science 20.99%

Art and design 16.74%

Agriculture and related subjects 16.67%

Languages 16.65%

Medicine and related subjects 16.64%

History 15.93%

Reply 9
Original post by purple_cat
Based on the percentage of first class honours achieved ( according to the Higher Education Statistics Agency), it would be towards the bottom of this list:

Physical sciences 22.10%

Computer science 20.99%

Art and design 16.74%

Languages 16.65%

History 15.93%

But that only tells you what percentage of people end up with a first, it tells you nothing about their relative difficulties, it also assumes the 'intelligence' of the cohort of students studying each subject is the same - when in reality it's more like the case that someone studying, say, physics and is a borderline first could still be of first standard if they studied Architecture.
If you ask university students what the most difficult subject is, they will say medicine. Ask most medicine students what the most difficult subject is, they will say medicine. They'll soon start offering degrees in 'Whats the most difficult subject at University" due to the 1500% increase in subject interest from this forum alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
*Insert subject I study*
Reply 12
Original post by purple_cat

Physical sciences 22.10%

Computer science 20.99%

Art and design 16.74%

Languages 16.65%

History 15.93%

Law is disgustingly low.
Original post by tehforum
Law is disgustingly low.

Law is for phaggots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by TaylorGang_4
Law is for phaggots.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, so you're doing Law.
Original post by tehforum
Ah, so you're doing Law.

Yes in fact I am sir! Do not put yourself through the same misery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's all subjective and I don't think you could accurately judge without somehow experiencing every course. Gut instinct though - maths is horrible from the ouside looking in, but a lot of that might be just down to the fact I've never been taught maths to a university standard (and I hope for maths students' sake it is). :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by why-hello-there
It's all subjective and I don't think you could accurately judge without somehow experiencing every course. Gut instinct though - maths is horrible from the ouside looking in, but a lot of that might be just down to the fact I've never been taught maths to a university standard (and I hope for maths students' sake it is). :tongue:

Haha, as a maths student, it's usually the other way around for me. From the outside a lot of the topics look quite approachable and straightforward/logical, and then you start studying it you realise it isn't.
Original post by Noble.
Haha, as a maths student, it's usually the other way around for me. From the outside a lot of the topics look quite approachable and straightforward/logical, and then you start studying it you realise it isn't.

So the things I think definitely don't look straightforward to begin with... look straightforward to you...but then still aren't?

I think we may have a winner of the thread. Good luck, sir. :redface:
Reply 19
Original post by why-hello-there
So the things I think definitely don't look straightforward to begin with... look straightforward to you...but then still aren't?

I think we may have a winner of the thread. Good luck, sir. :redface:

Unfortunately so. I think that is generally true though, and probably with anything, that it is much easier from the outside compared to rigorously studying it. You can have an appreciation of how something in any subject works, but actually understanding it from the foundations up is much more difficult.

I get what you're saying though, I think if anyone looks at undergrad. maths without having studied it, it will look incredibly complex (especially if you have no idea where to begin with 'appreciating' it, let alone trying to understand it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending