The Student Room Group

Am I going to hate university?

So, I'm hopefully starting at Glasgow University in September 2013 studying software engineering.

I'm a 16 year-old girl, leaving high school a year early to do the course. I'm wondering, is there even a small chance of me liking it/making friends? XD

I'm not going to be able to make friends in student accomodation, because I live near Glasgow so I won't be able to get a place. I'll not be able to do basically any going out until halfway through my second year when I turn 18.

My brother is doing a maths degree at Glasgow and I know that he's not made any friends on his course, he just hangs out with his friends from school (he stayed until 6th year).

I'm not a particularly confident, social person to begin with, but I really don't want to be alone for a 5 year degree :P any advice? Do people make friends outside of the halls/clubbing/whatever else?
Reply 1
How? How did you get into uni at 16:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jreid1994

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can get a conditional offer in S5!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Magic 8 ball says "most definitely".
Reply 4
Original post by jreid1994

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a conditional :smile: in scotland you do highers in 5th year and generally that's all you need to be accepted into pretty much any scottish university.
Reply 5
There will be plenty of opportunity to make friends on your course, but they won't coming looking for you, you have to put effort in. My advice is that you meet people on your course through societies, and perhaps join a sports team. I'm not gonna lie, by underage and living outside of student accommodation are both going to remove you from university life but you will defiantly makes friends :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by emmylemmy
So, I'm hopefully starting at Glasgow University in September 2013 studying software engineering.

I'm a 16 year-old girl, leaving high school a year early to do the course. I'm wondering, is there even a small chance of me liking it/making friends? XD

I'm not going to be able to make friends in student accomodation, because I live near Glasgow so I won't be able to get a place. I'll not be able to do basically any going out until halfway through my second year when I turn 18.

My brother is doing a maths degree at Glasgow and I know that he's not made any friends on his course, he just hangs out with his friends from school (he stayed until 6th year).

I'm not a particularly confident, social person to begin with, but I really don't want to be alone for a 5 year degree :P any advice? Do people make friends outside of the halls/clubbing/whatever else?

I met my mates through a mix of people I knew from home and some guys that I met on a 3-day induction thing at the university. Maybe you could check out if your uni does a similar thing?
Reply 7
You'll have plenty of chances to make friends among your course mates and through societies. Also, your brothers case is hardly the norm, not in the least because maths undergraduates aren't exactly known for being sociable!
I would defer your entry till at least the 2014 entry when you'll be 18 and thus able to join in with most things you will also be a little bit more mature and no your brothers situation is not the norm.

when you do decide to go try for accommodation if you really can't get it go in the private sector do not live at home during uni I cant stress that enough it's much easier to get involved if you live with other students be it in town or in halls you can probably get some house mates by starting a group on face book like First year need house mates glasgow or something like that.

But still go at 18 and you'll have the experience you deserve.
I'm a 16 year-old girl studying software engineering.

You shouldn't have too much problem with the guys on your course.
Reply 10

Don't expect to have many girl friends!
Yeah just make more of an effort.
Join some societies whose activities aren't centred around the pub. They're always going to go to the pub together sometimes, but if the bulk of their activity is non-alcohol based then your age won't cause you to be excluded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending