The Student Room Group

Is England the most racist nation on earth?

I think so. You don't see much of the nasty racism abroad that you see in England to be honest.

Furthermore, England had the most extensive and widely considered the most brutal empire too. That has to account for something in the modern day racist outlook of many English people.

I would go as far to say that modern day racism in the sense of regarding white, European culture as being superior to non-white cultures originated from England.

In short, I think the English have A LOT to answer for when it comes to racism and inequality.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe thats because when abroad you can't understand a word they're saying... just a thought.
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
I think so. You don't see much of the nasty racism abroad that you see in England to be honest.

Furthermore, England had the most extensive and widely considered the most brutal empire too. That has to account for something in the modern day racist outlook of many English people.

I would go as far to say that modern day racism in the sense of regarding white, European culture as being superior to non-white cultures originated from England.

In short, I think the English have A LOT to answer for when it comes to racism and inequality.

As a person of Pakistani ethnicity, I think that England is actually one of the least racist countries, at least in Europe, and with the exception of Canada, perhaps even the world.

I've been subject to racism, but I don't think it'd be as bad as if I was to go just across the border to France, or other parts of Europe - especially Eastern and Southern Europe

I got negged for stating my ethnicity here, but the person's neg had no power, so presumably someone who just lurks on the forums, and not a reflection of the majority:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=41279181#post41279181

You've only got to look at Asian culture, and see that there is still racism towards black people, and that lighter people tend to get treated better
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
inb4 someone mentions Israel.
Reply 4
Russia and many places in Eastern Europe are far, far worse. And by Western European standards Britain is not a racist country either.
Reply 5
Are you kidding? The UK is one of the most tolerant countries in the world. If you want racism just head to Eastern Europe or the Middle East. A white guy walking around Iran will likely be murdered where as an Iranian walking around England would not be given a second thought.
Reply 6
My dad is Italian and says that while racism there isn't severe as it can be in Eastern Europe, it is still a lot more harsh than England. The British Empire may have been very brutal, but they didn't colonise India out of racism.. it was just beneficial to them at the time.
Original post by Vadsi
Are you kidding? The UK is one of the most tolerant countries in the world. If you want racism just head to Eastern Europe or the Middle East. A white guy walking around Iran will likely be murdered where as an Iranian walking around England would not be given a second thought.

A lot of Middle Eastern nations have the same sort of culture with Asian countries, where lighter people are actually treated better. Normally, you'd find them being racist to you if you're African, and in some parts of the ME, if you're Asian (Arabs tend to be lighter than Asians, I find, and Persians seem to have the same amount of darkness as Asians, but a more Mediterranean look)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by rcummins1
inb4 someone mentions Israel.

Israel
Reply 9
England is one of the least racist countries on earth.
Reply 10
Original post by Vadsi

That's a bit extreme...

I think you are just an immature troll with a rusty blade seeking out to polish it from the safety of your keyboard; or is your attention span so little that you have forgotten you posted a similar thread this morning?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2246784

Now, run along.
Reply 12
people of all races have equal rights here, we allow foreigners to settle here, and as a society we generally see racism as a bad thing. in a world that still has the occassional genocide, I would say we are one of the least racist countires by far.
So we've had one on Britain, now one on England with no basis. Have you not heard of China? There's a lot of racist stuff happening there. What about South America. What makes England and Britain racist now? We have no laws which discriminate. So does that mean you're basing this on individuals?
Reply 14
You must be a troll.

No one could create a thread this dumb.
Reply 15

What are you basing this on? :holmes:
No - I think the UK is a very tolerant country in general. Yeah you'll find a bunch of racists, just like in every country, but compared to other countries we're a tolerant nation. Now, if you want to see racism, maybe you should book yourself a holiday to a country like Kuwait.
Reply 17
Look at Korea. If you moved there you would move straight back to Britain.

tard
I'd say the complete opposite! Although racism is undoubtedly still an issue in the UK the fact that we recognise it is a problem, and do not accept political parties like the BNP is an awful lot better than many countries. A friend of mine taught English in Japan for two years and was spat at in the street simply for being white! But just because we are more liberal than some does not mean it is perfect, we can still make further improvements.
Reply 19
We're not a perfect society but no country is. But let's be frank here I don't ever recall non-whites every being banned from voting, attending the same educational institutions as their white-peers etc. Discrimination does exist but it is often at a very subtle level and thankfully not too commonplace these days. If you think that Britain is/was historically a racist country then you don't know much about your American History or even South African History or a little something called the Second World War?

Britain is probably one of the most tolerant/liberal countries in the world. And as someone else pointed out if you want full blown racism then look at Eastern Europe and specifically Russia where racism is widespread.

Latest

Trending

Trending